Author Topic: MN permit now qualifies as background check per ATF  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
MN permit now qualifies as background check per ATF
« on: April 28, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
Linky

ATF: Minnesota permit to carry now satisfies background check for buying guns
Any carry permits with expiration dates of Aug. 1, 2019, or later now qualify as alternatives to usual the FBI instant background checks.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
Re: MN permit now qualifies as background check per ATF
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »
Sweet! Even faster checkouts at the "candy store"!
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

MP2 Guy

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »
Not a bad deal.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »
AZ had that from the start of the Brady Act, which really made a difference, a very good thing to have. Congrats!

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
AZ had that from the start of the Brady Act, which really made a difference, a very good thing to have. Congrats!

Montana, ND, and Wyoming have had it too for quite some time, too.  Our CWP's have a NICS NTN on them.  You still have to fill out a 4473, you just don't have to have it called in.  Also, they are only good in the state of issuance.  So if you have a MT CWP and want to buy a gun in ND, you still have to fill out a 4473 and have it called in.

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
South Dakota has made some changes in its concealed carry law, which became effective Jan. 1, 2017.

We now have three (3) options that we can choose from: Regular, which costs $10.00.  Does not have the purchase exemption and has reciprocity in 31 states; Gold, which costs $70.00.  Offers the purchase exemption at an extra cost of $43.25 for the FBI fingerprinting and background, and has reciprocity in 32 states; Enhanced, which costs $100.00.  Purchase exemption same as the Gold and has reciprocity in 37 states and may require the extra cost for the qualifying handgun course.

I really don't see much advantage in having the Gold or Enhanced card and recent permit statistics bear that out.  As of April 1, approximately 93,000 permits were issued, of those 97 were Gold and 416 Enhanced.  The purchase exemption is an advantage if you purchase several guns over the course of a year and phone approval is dismally slow, but here in SoDak, phone approval takes about as long as filing out the paperwork.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 06:07:04 AM »
Tenbones, if you are a non prohibited possessor and over 21, you can carry concealed down here in AZ with no permit, if you decide to visit. :)
Never heard of the various "options" you have - sounds like a money making scheme for the state. :(

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
Never heard of the various "options" you have - sounds like a money making scheme for the state. :(

Ya, I hear ya!  I think that was their original intent, but it doesn't seem to be working out so well.  ;D

Offline beanz2

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 12:28:57 AM »

You know, I was arguing about this very thing today at Cabela's in Reno, NV.  The gun counter people insisted my AZ CCW was not sufficient and no amount of ATF website print outs I showed them was enough to sway them.  As the sale price they had on the gun I wanted would saved me much more than what they charged for background check, I backed down.   Maybe on Monday I will call their national customer service number and try to get the charge reversed.

Offline cntrydawwwg

MN permit now qualifies as background check per ATF
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 12:55:32 AM »

You know, I was arguing about this very thing today at Cabela's in Reno, NV.  The gun counter people insisted my AZ CCW was not sufficient and no amount of ATF website print outs I showed them was enough to sway them.  As the sale price they had on the gun I wanted would saved me much more than what they charged for background check, I backed down.   Maybe on Monday I will call their national customer service number and try to get the charge reversed.
    Maybe it was company policy. It's happened to me here in MT. before, had to wait for them to make the call. Every other place it's just fill out the form, pay, and walk away.
   Or as James said, it's only good in the state you reside like ours is.
    Although I've never heard of paying for the background check on top of the firearm (unless it's one I've had shipped in). Of course I'm sure it's just added into the price so that a person never knows.
   Of course each state has different laws, even AZ doesn't fully recognize our MT. permit. They only recognize it if you're over 21. We allow any legal adult I.E. 18, to get a permit. That's probably the biggest reason some states won't reciprocate with us, even though we will with them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:03:25 AM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 01:02:29 AM »

NV probably does things differently than AZ - "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »

Form 4473, Section B, 21:

No NICS check was required because the transferee/buyer has a valid permit from the State where the transfer is to take place, which qualifies as an exemption to NICS. 

So you must still fill out a 4473 and have it called in.  Nevada may have state-to-state CARRYING reciprocity, but the NICS is Federal.  You have to abide by Federal law. In AZ, you wouldn't have to have it called in, but you should still be filling out a 4473.   :o

Offline beanz2

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
Thanks, James.  You just saved me a phone call to Cabela's.  For the next time I'll have my NV CCW. 

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
It's been my experience that big box stores with locations in multiple states, e.g., Cabela's or Scheels, will always do a NICS check no matter what your concealed carry permit status is.  You know corporations, one size fits all so always go with the most restrictive.
Steve