Author Topic: 75 "Standard" or Shadow Model  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Iggy913

75 "Standard" or Shadow Model
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »
Ladies and Gentleman,

Ive tried searching and can't find the exact answer I'm looking for, please forgive me if this has been discussed before.  I am relatively new to the CZ world, I bought a PCR last year and have since swapped out most of the parts with CGW and CZC upgrades. I absolutely love the way it shoots and am now 100% sold on the CZ line. 

With that being said I'm looking to pick up a full sized model for use in the competition world.  I'm not interested in a railed model,I know the dust cover offers more weight up front but I'm willing to give up that for looks, I love the classic 75 lines. 

I was looking at the Shadow Tac II, and on the cheaper end the "Standard" 75 SA or even Omega models.  Looking strictly at the exteriors they look very similar. Can an upgraded Standard 75 with parts from CGW or CZC offer similar capability to the Shadow?  It would seem like a "Pro" kit from CGW, new grips, and new sights would still be quite a bit less money compared to buying the Shadow? Am I missing something here?

Thank you

Offline ThompsonCustom

Re: 75 "Standard" or Shadow Model
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:14 AM »
What competition are you thinking? IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun, so on. What your going to be competing in will change the answers you get.
www.AerospaceArms.com Current Deals:
Faxon 16" Pencil Barrel $148
21% off all magpul products code: "magpul"

Offline Iggy913

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »
In my area I seem to have a small IDPA contingent as well as a "for fun" type of action shooting group. I'm not looking for something to port, flared magwell, or optic mounted weapon. I shoot pretty well with my PCR but am looking to step up to something a little heavier with a better sight radius.

Offline DCSigCZ

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
I'm frugal. A standard CZ75 that is fully Cajunized is the same or better, notably less money and IDPA legal so that's the way I have gone.

The Classic action is a bit smoother than the Omega system, but it is not as easy to work on and you don't have the option of switching back and forth from safety to decocker. Take those factors into account and decide. Or try one and decide to keep it, or try the other, or try both and then decide.

Consult with David and Scott so that your upgrades are IDPA legal - a small number of them are not. Would be painful to upgrade and then find out you are illegal.

For your reference, I own an ~80% Cajunized P-09 and a super smooth SP-01 that I am just starting to Cajunize one step at a time.  The SP-01 has an action that is ice smooth. The P-09 is getting smoother by the week but it is not yet as good as the SP-01, although it is getting notably closer. I am a double Sig Sauer Armorer and also have and shoot two excellent Sig Sauer DA/SA pistols; one has both the Short Reset Trigger Action and Short Reach Trigger the other has both a standard trigger and standard reset. Both are excellent.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:59:20 PM by DCSigCZ »
i will fear no evil, for You are with me.

Offline DCSigCZ

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
What competition are you thinking? IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun, so on. What your going to be competing in will change the answers you get.

That was your 1000th post Thompson. Congrats.  Too bad the next one rolls your odometer over to a less cool number.
i will fear no evil, for You are with me.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
Ladies and Gentleman,

Ive tried searching and can't find the exact answer I'm looking for, please forgive me if this has been discussed before.  I am relatively new to the CZ world, I bought a PCR last year and have since swapped out most of the parts with CGW and CZC upgrades. I absolutely love the way it shoots and am now 100% sold on the CZ line. 

With that being said I'm looking to pick up a full sized model for use in the competition world.  I'm not interested in a railed model,I know the dust cover offers more weight up front but I'm willing to give up that for looks, I love the classic 75 lines. 

I was looking at the Shadow Tac II, and on the cheaper end the "Standard" 75 SA or even Omega models.  Looking strictly at the exteriors they look very similar. Can an upgraded Standard 75 with parts from CGW or CZC offer similar capability to the Shadow?  It would seem like a "Pro" kit from CGW, new grips, and new sights would still be quite a bit less money compared to buying the Shadow? Am I missing something here?

Thank you

In a tuned configuration (comp/race hammer) the only significant difference mechanically between a 75 Shadow (non-FPB) and a 75SA is the reset distance. If you remove the Firing Pin Block parts from the 75 SA you essentially regain the shorter reset of the Shadow. The function of the FPB requires a little more trigger travel. So in my interpretation there is very little difference between the two models once tuned even with the FPB left intact in the 75 SA. Some of this stuff is subjective and in part dependent on the specific tuning done to both models.

There are a few design differences in the slide between the two models but as far as i know they do not significantly impact function.

As ThompsonCustom mentioned some models and modifications can limit what pistols can be used in which competitions. So this dose need to be taken into consideration. This is also part of the reason Shadows cost more, because people need them to compete with in some cases where the cheaper models are not eligible. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:26:11 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline schmeky

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »
Tok36,

Is right on the money.  The barrels and barrel bushings are identical in both the SP-01 and the Shadow, as is the lock-up, so they are equal where it matters most.

The objective is to ultimately put the bullet in the right place and a tuned SP-01 or a Shadow can do this with devastating efficiency.  Of note is the fact that a Shadow out of the box is going to need some additional upgrades for most shooters.

CZC, CGW, or a combo of parts from either, can make a "standard" SP-01 a superb runner.

Offline Iggy913

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »
Thank you all for the help, so the general consensus is an SP01 or even a standard 75 can be made to function as well as a Shadow with parts from some of the aftermarket suppliers here?  Like I mentioned in my original post, I do have some CGW parts in my PCR so I'm familiar with the improvements that can be made.

I have found locally to me both IDPA and USPSA events.  When I purchase the pistol I'll be sure to talk with David and the others about what I can change and still shoot both leagues, I don't want to build a gun I can't enjoy.

Thanks again

Offline ThompsonCustom

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »
That was your 1000th post Thompson. Congrats.  Too bad the next one rolls your odometer over to a less cool number.

Thanks!

Thank you all for the help, so the general consensus is an SP01 or even a standard 75 can be made to function as well as a Shadow with parts from some of the aftermarket suppliers here?  Like I mentioned in my original post, I do have some CGW parts in my PCR so I'm familiar with the improvements that can be made.

I have found locally to me both IDPA and USPSA events.  When I purchase the pistol I'll be sure to talk with David and the others about what I can change and still shoot both leagues, I don't want to build a gun I can't enjoy.

Thanks again

Whatever gun you end up choosing there should be a division they'll stick you in depending on what gun and mods you have, if your not worried about being overly competitive I won't worry about the gun choice just get whichever you like, and yes a tuned shadow and a tuned CGW standard gun are going to be so close that when the buzzer goes off you'll never know the difference.
www.AerospaceArms.com Current Deals:
Faxon 16" Pencil Barrel $148
21% off all magpul products code: "magpul"

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
The 75 Shadow has no rail,  has the larger dieter bbl,  and comes with the Comp hammer,  short reset,  3 mags and is close to comp ready.

I like mine.

On the other hand ,  my old 75b with all the goodies and "still has the FP safety"" has a great trigger and shoots as easily as the 75 Shadow.  The heavier front end and better upturned beavertail on the Shadow edges out the B for multiple shots on one target.

anything