Author Topic: Trouble Installing Right Side Safety Detent AND Associated Lever on Shadow 2  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Misanthrope

Greetings All,

The tiny right side safety detent on the Shadow 2 (Part #15), has no spring, and when installed properly, appears to have only one ('fixed') position (i.e., it doesn't slide like the spring-loaded left side detent). The problem is, once installed, that detent protrudes out into the orifice that the right side safety lever (and safety shaft) travel through, making it nearly impossible to insert that right side safety lever.

I've searched the heck out of it here on the CZ Forum, as well as on-line and on YouTube with no luck. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how these two parts are supposed to be successfully installed together?

On the left side, the detent is spring loaded, allowing you to depress it, thereby allowing the insertion of the left side safety lever, but I see no way to depress the right side detent in such a way as to allow passage of the right side lever. If I first install the lever, then I can't quite install the detent, and if I install the detent first, then I can't install the lever. Very frustrating. So I'm stumped!

Anybody?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 06:59:02 PM by Misanthrope »

Offline SEAKPhotog

Does this help?

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/260301-right-hand-safety-wont-go-in/

Basically try putting the safety in first then the detent. The Brian Enos forums are a great resource.  Good luck!

Offline Misanthrope

Thanks for your response SEAKphotog, and yes, this does help. Unfortunately, the final link of that thread (the one with photos), is a broken or invalid link, but the balance of that thread tells me that the reinstallation is in-fact problematic, and while it gives an array of possible suggestions, it appears clear that there is no uniform or singular way to get this done.

I'm going to be working with the firearm again today, so I'll try some of these suggestions, but it's important to note (or reiterate), that unlike the left side detent, once installed, the right side detent appears to be in a 'fixed' position, such that it protrudes out into the safety lever orifice and does not move.

Now, that said, I'm no gunsmith, but if I've got that part right, then that fact alone implies that the lever itself must be inserted first, followed by the detent. It also implies that nothing [not even the safety axle (or shaft) once installed], keeps that detent from falling out other than lateral pressure from the sear cage (or extractor). So I'll be trying that approach here today, with particular attention paid to the slot position on the side of the lever itself, and we'll see what happens.

But thanks again for your post. Its been helpful and I greatly appreciate it. 👍

Offline Misanthrope

Bam! Got it! I may not have been a gunsmith before this all started, but I'm slowly creeping closer.  ;)

As suggested here, the answer was to insert the right side safety lever first, and while holding it perfectly prallel to the frame, carefully inserting the right side detent, then gingerly installing the sear cage and sliding the left side safety axle through the entire assembly.

For the sake of others who might visit this thread in the future, the problem that I had, was from misinterpreting the proper position of the right side detent. That detent has a small notch on it's top-side, and the frame itself is comparably notched in such a way as to accept that notched part of the detent. But when all is properly installed, those two paired notch points do NOT necessarily come together fully engaged or flush with one another. In fact, on mine, there was a full 1-mm or more of air space between them, which just seemed weird to me at first. Anyway, had I known that fact beforehand, I probably could have reassembled this thing without issue.

Thanks again to SEAKphotog for the assistance.

Offline SEAKPhotog

Glad you figured it out.  Thinking about it (it's been a while), I think one can also install the detent then install the safety by inserting it an an angle then rotating it to 90 degrees.  But oh yeah, proper detent position is crucial and could certainly lead to some frustration, yikes.  Anyway, glad it's installed.

Online tdogg

• Two Alpha!
Also a little dab of grease helps hold it all together while installing the sear cage.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline SoCal

Also a little dab of grease helps hold it all together while installing the sear cage.
Grease is the answer and a dental pick IMHO
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline Misanthrope

Thanks guys! All great suggestions, especially the tip about using a dab of heavy grease. I wish I had thought of that - it would have made the job far easier. 👍

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Yes, by all means Grease !

;D
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Misanthrope

I just stumbled into a short, concise YouTube video done by a gentleman who devised the absolute simplest, easiest, foolproof method of swapping-out these safeties on the Shadow 2, without the need for removing the sear cage or right-side detent, and the often significant hassles of reinstalling them again. It's the quickest, most perfect way to do it in my view. I hope it helps others here in the future, like it has helped me. I just wish that I had seen this video sooner!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 06:10:32 PM by Wobbly »

Offline SoCal

Thanks for sharing that!
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline Misanthrope

Thanks for sharing that!

Auto-matic! You are most welcome. And actually, truth be known, I just finished the installation of another paddle-style safety swap on a Shadow 2 Gold (which I would not necessarily recommend, because the finish is exceptionally fragile), this very morning, and I followed this same simple video to a 'T'. It was like a hot iron through butter! Definitely the best way to do it. No dislodging of the right-side detent or sear cage to deal with.