Author Topic: S&W 3913 NL Better Sight Options?  (Read 4309 times)

Offline jtj5002

Re: S&W 3913 NL Better Sight Options?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 10:14:52 PM »
I use Dawson's FO front sight and blacked out factory sight on all my 3rd gens and CZs. I do not like tritium sights and prefer fiber optic/black out for all of my guns.

Use Dawson's tool or other user's info to determine the proper sight height. I forgot what exact height my 3913 LS and CS9 needed. CS9 tends to shoot very low. I had to swap a higher CS45 rear sight onto mine and matched a Dawson front sight to it.
jtj,
Good suggestion......
I have my SA 1911's set up this way, with a Dawson green FO front and black-out rear and as long as there's enough ambient light it works great for accuracy; even with my 'ol eyes.
So I might set up the 3913 this way as you suggest.
However, after SVPP's comments about the tightness of S&W's factory sights, I might defer to Novack's expertise and use their FO front and pay them the $20 to mount it. I also like that Novack's front post is .125 wide with ample size FO:
https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1100682&CAT=9534

Be aware that *some* CS9 have a different rear sight dovetail. If your rear sight is plastic, it uses a 915 value-line rear sight dove tail. Front sight should all be metal and standard 3rd gen dovetail. I think the earlier black carbon steel CS9 all use plastic rear sight and they moved to standard steel rear sight on the newer stainless ones.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 07:36:48 AM »
I use Dawson's FO front sight and blacked out factory sight on all my 3rd gens and CZs. I do not like tritium sights and prefer fiber optic/black out for all of my guns.

Use Dawson's tool or other user's info to determine the proper sight height. I forgot what exact height my 3913 LS and CS9 needed. CS9 tends to shoot very low. I had to swap a higher CS45 rear sight onto mine and matched a Dawson front sight to it.
jtj,
Good suggestion......
I have my SA 1911's set up this way, with a Dawson green FO front and black-out rear and as long as there's enough ambient light it works great for accuracy; even with my 'ol eyes.
So I might set up the 3913 this way as you suggest.
However, after SVPP's comments about the tightness of S&W's factory sights, I might defer to Novack's expertise and use their FO front and pay them the $20 to mount it. I also like that Novack's front post is .125 wide with ample size FO:
https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1100682&CAT=9534

Be aware that *some* CS9 have a different rear sight dovetail. If your rear sight is plastic, it uses a 915 value-line rear sight dove tail. Front sight should all be metal and standard 3rd gen dovetail. I think the earlier black carbon steel CS9 all use plastic rear sight and they moved to standard steel rear sight on the newer stainless ones.
Hmmmm...Yup, my CS9 is black but not sure of Mfg Date. I'll have to get out my magnet and check it out. Really good info, thanks.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »
P.S. Gave the rear sight the magnet test. Sure enough....it sure ain't steel, so I'll assume it's the 915 'Value-Line' plastic. Hadn't really given it a thought as I knew I was going to change 'em anyhow. But a different dovetail may change my options and strategy.
Thanks Again jtj for the 'heads-up'

Anyhow...I don't mind investing some time and $$ into this sweet 'Lil CS9. In a world of striker-fired plastic guns where they're making the triggers lighter and lighter.......It's one of the very few and maybe the best alloy-framed, hammer-fired DA/SA micro 9's for safe DEEP conceal carry.

Ditto for it's slightly bigger Brother, the 3913/3914. 

Thanks All, I really appreciate all the comments/suggestions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:44:04 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline jtj5002

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »
That's a good looking one, way better condition than mine. I like these guns as they aren't like other tiny sub compacts out there. These little CS9 actually shares almost all internal parts as all other full size 3rd gens. Same firing pin, fire control group, hammer/sear etc. The steel framed 59xx's was issued duty weapons for decades before the striker guns caught on. They have been proven to be extremely reliable.

The only thing I keep in mind about the smaller 39xx/69xx and CS9 is that spring technology back then isn't what it is now. These guns have very thin and light slides and still uses single single recoil spring as opposed to the newer dual spring setup in the newer sub compacts. 39xx/69xx uses the same spring are are very cheap to stock up on. ($2 each last time I checked). CS9 specific springs however, are much harder to get. These springs need to be replaced very often. Small and light slide combined with a even moderately worn out recoil spring equals a lot of force impacting the alloy frame. 500-1000 rounds per spring for CS9 and 1000-2000 for 3913 is what I have been doing. Check primer drag for signs of early unlocking action.

On the bright side, these guns can be dry fired without snap cap or o-ring until your finger falls off and it wouldn't damage anything. Unlike my CZ's

Offline Vinny

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.....
Recoil springs on short-barrel pistols like the CS9 have to work very hard indeed. I have the same issue with my CZ RAMI BD even with the dual-spring I need to replace the outer spring every 500-1000 and complete set including inner every 3rd change. When the return to battery starts to 'ker-chunk' it's already past due.  ::)

I found Wolff caries a variety of recoil spring weights 14# to 18# for the 3913 series. Any recommendations?
Because I typically shoot a bit hotter practice ammo (usually S&B 115 or 124 depending on gun) closer in PF to my SD ammo, I would think a heavier 16-18# spring to be on the safe side??

Numrich Arms is out-of-stock on the CS9 recoil springs, but I got on their 'back-in-stock' email notification list.
Their other parts listed for these guns seems pretty comprehensive.

I've never owned a 3rd-Gen Smith until now, but most of what I've heard is positive. Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:44:42 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline jtj5002

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 08:34:28 PM »
I suggest just getting factory springs @ $1.99 for the 3913 from Midway, If your gun is ejecting too far with the ammo you are shooting, you can try the heavier wolff springs
CS9 springs I tend to just back order when I can on Midway. They tend to come in stock once or twice a year. Search CS9C or CS9S or part number 263210000 for it to show up.

3913 should be easier on the spring than the CS9. It's basically a single stack version of the 6906 and uses the same slide/barrel/springs/etc, and the 6906 was widely issued as a police duty weapon with hot duty ammo. Armorers maintained those guns up to ~50k rounds with Smith's factory springs.

CS9's flat coil springs is another story. The are quite rare and I don't think people shoot a lot of rounds through them. When I got mine, the spring was so weak that it didnt even return to battery consistently. Switching to a new spring and the gun felt quite a bit stiffer than a 3913. It means the spring is very strong when new but wears pretty fast. I keep my CS9 to a pretty low round count because the springs are pretty hard to come by.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
I suggest just getting factory springs @ $1.99 for the 3913 from Midway, If your gun is ejecting too far with the ammo you are shooting, you can try the heavier wolff springs
CS9 springs I tend to just back order when I can on Midway. They tend to come in stock once or twice a year. Search CS9C or CS9S or part number 263210000 for it to show up.

3913 should be easier on the spring than the CS9. It's basically a single stack version of the 6906 and uses the same slide/barrel/springs/etc, and the 6906 was widely issued as a police duty weapon with hot duty ammo. Armorers maintained those guns up to ~50k rounds with Smith's factory springs.

CS9's flat coil springs is another story. The are quite rare and I don't think people shoot a lot of rounds through them. When I got mine, the spring was so weak that it didnt even return to battery consistently. Switching to a new spring and the gun felt quite a bit stiffer than a 3913. It means the spring is very strong when new but wears pretty fast. I keep my CS9 to a pretty low round count because the springs are pretty hard to come by.
Thanks Again jtj for the info.
BTW- Midway had a special on S&W CS9 mags ($30), so I grabbed a couple; and a couple of S&W 3913 mags too before they get gone.
"Carpe Diem"

anything