Author Topic: fitting a kadet kit  (Read 1237 times)

Offline kerncat

fitting a kadet kit
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
Hi...older guy here  (80) with arthritis so I'm "playing hurt".  I have 2 CZ pistols (both 75B's...one in 9mm and the other in .40)...the 9 is fairly well broken in and a few years old...the .40 is almost NIB and is about a year and a half old.  I'm backing off much of my shooting due to the arthritis and also due to some eye issues, etc...heck to get old but still trying.

I'm not skilled in precision metal work and while the CZ Kadet kit sounds like a great way to enjoy shooting 22 lr with my existing CZs..I also read about needed modifications on both the slide assy and also possibly on the magazines...I'd hate like the devil to get the kit and then find I need to do a bunch of filing and fitting...with my "capabilities" I'm always touchy about any modifications needed and I doubt the 'fitting" would be something a gunsmith might tackle without some significant cost involved....

I've read a lot and it seems some of the kits just fit without modification and some don't...also that there are FTF issues with some mags that again require some precision filing or bending....I'm looking for some comments please about how difficult this kind of thing is for a real "tool novice"..Clint Eastwood said it best when he said "a Man's got to know his limitations"....many thanks for any input...also where is the best place to buy one of these if there are any "reduced cost" suppliers..thanks

Offline painter

Re: fitting a kadet kit
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »
Most Kadet kits require very minor fitting on the lugs, or tabs, that fit in the grooves of the frame, and only for width.

You can likely do it with an emery board.

It may only fit one frame after fitting, or both, hard to say.

Go for it! They're tons of fun.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
Kerncat--The small amount of filing is not in any way a "precision" cut.  All it does is allow the conversion kit to fit in to your frame's dimensions.  Even if you remove a little more material than snug, it will not affect the accuracy of the gun at all.  My bet is that your Kadet will fit snug on one frame and looser on the other and will run fine on both.  Mine is not a snug fit and it is my bullseye match gun. 

Kadet fitting is about as precision as filing a new door lock striker plate for your house door.

Go for it.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »
Hope for the best.......plan for the worst  ;D ;D ;D    Kadet's are a blast when they function correctly, and there is a pretty fair chance your NIB one will be in the functioning correctly category.  In the event you get one that is less than ideal (to varying degree's) they are all able to be worked a bit to function properly........the key is PATIENCE to work whatever issues that may arise!  If you have that you'll be golden.  If the forum doesn't already have a "fix action" thread for whatever issue your having, folks here will be more than glad to help out....  :)

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 11:20:06 PM »
As everyone has (previously) said; "KADETs are a Blast"
If you're thinking of running the Kit on either Frame, let me suggest you fit the kit (snug) on the tightest of the two
Like Joe said; the accuracy isn't in the fit, it's built into the Slide (Kit) itself
It's almost like you could nail the thing to a 2X4 and it would still out shoot a lot of dedicated 22 Pistols
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !