Author Topic: my smooth operator  (Read 1865 times)

Offline RMS

my smooth operator
« on: December 25, 2010, 04:00:39 AM »
I baught my first gun a few years ago, still my only one, but its a CZ.  When i first shot it, i was impressed but had heard about the triggers being rough when new.  The only handgun i have to compare it to, is an older Colt Python that has the most delicious trigger in SA or DA.  The Python is my dads, but it inspired me to become my own gunsmith.  This is a list of what i have done without any serious work or modifications but made my CZ shoot softer then a Bersa Thunder 380, and ive shot many rounds side by side back and forth.

First I tore down the gun and inspected the barrel before anything.  I took some 600 wet sand paper and lightly brushed the feed ramp to make sure all machine marks were in the proper direction.  The only buffing or polishing i did was on a 7 in buffing wheel across the ramp sideways to remove any marks that might stripe or scratch the bullet.  I also buffed the crown and outside of the chamber to a nice shine.  It looks great against an all black gun.

Second I took the same sand paper and a hard flat surface, taped the sand paper flat and used the weight of the slide(no downward pressure) and moved the slide side to side for no more then 30 seconds to remove anymore burs that may exist.  I hit the slide guide rails on the buffer  real fast to remove any dust that may have resulted.  Also made it a little smoother.

Third I pulled the sear assembly out and the hammer as well.  The only parts i worked on here are the firing pin release arm, the SA notch on the hammer and the the sear surfaces itself.  I used the same 600 sand paper until the surfaces were shiny and then used some 1200 wet I also have.  I didnt do anything more because I did not want to alter any of the geometry but simply make it smoother.

Fourth I changed the mainspring from I think it was 18lbs down to 16lbs.  I still get a nice hard strike with a 16lb spring.  This lightened both the SA and the DA trigger pull and eliminated most of the trigger grittiness.

Last I found a website that made a part for my gun, the Recoil Buffer.  I saw it and being into mechanics and physics, knew right away the difference it would make.  It is a soft plastic polymer that goes around the recoil spring so when you ire, the slide does not slide back and use the frame itself to stop the slide.  Instead it has a pillow.  With the new pillow i knew i could use a softer recoil spring, but I only cut the factory one and then stretched it to make it more progressive while making it easier to rack the slide.

In the end, the DA pull is quite smoother but still firm enough that i have no worries about pulling to hard and having an accidental discharge.  The SA is about half of what it was before and just as crisp.  The recoil is very soft.  There is hardly any muzzle flip and not even a hint of any harshness in the recoil process.  It fires soft from pulling the trigger all the way to the next followup shot.  Like watching someone push you instead of turning and getting surprised.  After all the work I did, i fell in love with this gun.  I now have 600 rounds, in 3 years, and I cant imagine getting a trigger as nice on a semi auto DA/SA gun.  Any questions you might have feel free to ask.  I hope this will help anyone that may have any questions or thaughts about doing home gunsmithing.  Just be careful if you pull the sear out to do work on it, can be tricky getting the springs back in any they are small.  Happy holidays and happy shooting.

Offline youngguns357

• CZ40B/40P/75B/ COMPACT.40/100B/Kadet M-6 CZ-527
Re: my smooth operator
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Nice DIY report! Thats the beauty of this forum and CZ fans. CZ for life
NOT MANY LIKE US, bleep FEW LEFT- THE BARN DOG

Offline tekarra

Re: my smooth operator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
Hello RMS and welcome aboard.  That is a great first post, well done.

anything