Author Topic: CZ PCR vs. P-01  (Read 26819 times)

Offline Canuck44

Re: CZ PCR vs. P-01
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »
What NATO test? 

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline sagi

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »
the "nato" test that cz claims the P-01 went through, I'm thinking cz themself did the test
http://cz-usa.com/press-releases/102/

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »
the "nato" test that cz claims the P-01 went through, I'm thinking cz themself did the test
http://cz-usa.com/press-releases/102/

The P-01 was subjected to testing for the Czech Police but never NATO.  The number on the P-01 is an NATO inventory number and nothing more.  All equipment of NATO armed forces is catalogued under a common inventory system to facilitate in theatre ordering of equipement for troops on the ground, in the air or on the sea. 

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline E.Shell

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
They are practically interchangeable, except for the light rail....
Agreed. I have both P-01 and PCR. I like both but carry the PCR more often due to the more compact front end being slightly easier to conceal.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Offline sagi

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 12:44:41 AM »
They are practically interchangeable, except for the light rail....
Agreed. I have both P-01 and PCR. I like both but carry the PCR more often due to the more compact front end being slightly easier to conceal.
is there any width difference in the slide on the PCR? I almost wish they used the tapered slide thats on the standard compact but I think I read somewhere that the wider front was to make it more durable.

Offline Pynckone

• Who is in the White House?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »
So this morning I took my P-01 and 75D to my bench and did the following:

1) Safety checked both. (Of course!)
2) Removed slide/barrel assembly from each frame.
3) Switched slide/barrel assemblies and frames with proper frame slide stop pin. (They differ). Checked functionality.
4) Switched slide stop pins. Checked functionality.
5) Had a cup of expresso since it was too early for anything stronger.
6) Re-assembled both guns with proper barrels and slide stop pins.

This is what I observed:

a) The frames appear identical with the exception of the tactical rail which either is or isn't present.  The internal components appear identical.
b) The slides operate with either frame.  While I did not fire the guns, I am certain they will perform without issue.
c) The internal rail on the P-01 slide extends the full length of the slide while the internal rail on the 75D slide ends about 1/2" from the front, due to the difference for the tactical rail on the frame.  In theory, I suppose, this will improve accuracy for the P-01 but someone who is a far better shooter than I am may be able to determine this; I can't. I shoot both models equally badly  ;D.
d) The trigger guard, grip, and lanyard attachment point are the same on both guns.
e) Without doing a metallurgical test, the CZ catalog specs categorize both frames as 'light alloy'. I believe they are the same material.
f) The slide stop pin for the 75D is about 1/8" longer than the one for the P-01.  The slide stop pin for the P-01 has 3 large lands,while the 75D pin has 5 smaller ones (look very closely in the catalogue to see this). Both pins will work with the Kadet Kit; however, the P-01 pin will not allow the KK slide to remain open after the last round is fired.

This is what I learned:

1) The 75 Compact does not have a lanyard attachment point. I don't see it in the catalogue or in the manual.
2) The P-01 and 75D slides have 2 serrated areas, front portion of the slide and under the rear sight; the 75 Compact has just one under the rear sight. (As pictured in the catalogue.)
3) Again from the catalogue, the frame for the 75 Compact is steel, same as the 75B.
4) If you wear gloves, its nearly impossible to feel a difference with these 2 models.  The easiest way is to feel for the Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) on top of the slide for the 75D.
5) The 75D and P-01 triggers have a 'sexier' curve than the 75 Compact. The triggers on these models are black steel (duracoat? I don't know.) The trigger on the 75 Compact looks to be stainless, like the 75B.

This is what I believe:
a) The P-01 and the 75D are virtually twins.  CZ website and catalogue claim advanced manufacturing processes for the P-01.  Why CZ would have different manufacturing processes for the 75D is a question for them. Looking at the disassembled frames and slide/barrels side by side, the 75D components have additional material machined off, as the catalogue weights differ by 18 grams. 
b) The LCI is a very desirable feature, IMO.  I carry the 75D more frequently due to this feature.
c) The 75 Compact is what the name implies, a compact version of the 75B.

This is what I conclude:
1) You won't go wrong buying any CZ 75 model. Right now I slightly prefer the 75D over the P-01, mainly due to the LCI.  If I were to use the P-01 with a tactical light or laser, I may change my opinion.  Right now its like asking which child I love more......it depends on which one behaves better.  ::)

Hope this helps answer some questions.  Oh, its OK to look closely at the catalogue at the differences; I know I sure did!!

My blog: http://whoisinthewhitehouse.blogtownhall.com

Daisy lever BB gun.

Not listing my guns here anymore. 

Let the government figure it out! 

Lots of rocks and stones, and pretty good with a slingshot!

Offline sagi

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 02:20:28 AM »
thanks for the writeup Pynckone, I did notice the slide stop serrations were different too in my research. it is still strange that one doesn't work with the Kadet to lock the slide though. when you say it is longer do you mean the pin part or the lever part?
the swapping slides proves that they can mix and match parts like mentioned in the "nato approved" stuff, which leans more towards reliability than accuracy... good for a carry gun.
so it looks like i'm on the hunt for whatever is cheapest.. I hope czcustom gets the pcr back in stock for the lower price

Offline Jeff Bergquist

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
One thing I noticed as well, the alloy frames are a little wider (thicker) on the outside than the steel frames to compensate for alloy not being as strong as steel, so slide stop pins need to be a little longer for alloy and will not swap from alloy to steel pistols and vice versa. I suspect the slides will swap however, but haven't yet tried it.

I like extended slide stops, so I have installed P-01 stops on most of my alloy CZs, including the 40Bs, where they function fine.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.

Offline burley

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »

My PCR has a polished barrel, trigger and Beretta mag base.  You can aslo see the slide stop indent on the P01 that the PCR doesn't have.
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 10:13:11 AM »
Great write up Pynckone.....thanks.

The guns are great, both of them!

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline echohal

• vroom vroom
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »
Sorry about the thread meandering, Widge.

Re: the tac laser, always the option of getting CT grips.
wait.... wut?
CZ75BD // CZ75 P-01 (ct grips, fiber optic front post) // Kadet Kit

Offline burley

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
CT grip on my PCR.   :)  Funny side note, The laser wasn't on all the time when I was shooting.  I found I was relaxing my strong hand grip.   I shoot more accuratly now with a firm hold.
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline sagi

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »
I'm guessing the P-01 has the indented slide stop so it will be flush and less likely to pop out (some say 1911's will jam up that way if you push in the slide stop while shooting) 
but is the overall outside width of the frame the same on both?
also, the pics I find of the PCR have the same sharp curved trigger as the P-01 not the less curved one.

a CT laser would be nice but with what I know about lasers I'm more likely to get a P-01 and modify a rail mounted laser...  although that probably won't sound good in court having an illegal laser pointer on it.

Offline Jeff Bergquist

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »
I'm guessing the P-01 has the indented slide stop so it will be flush and less likely to pop out (some say 1911's will jam up that way if you push in the slide stop while shooting) 
but is the overall outside width of the frame the same on both?
Yes
also, the pics I find of the PCR have the same sharp curved trigger as the P-01 not the less curved one.
You can find a lot of variance in many CZ pistols. The CZ UB factory is huge, and many CZ parts are interchangeable between the models, so sometimes it seems assembly is done with whatever parts are in the chute at the time.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 04:59:23 PM »
I own a P-01 and bought a PCR today. I can not find fault in either on of them.

What is an illeagal laser pointer? the PCR and the P-01 do have the same shaped trigger. It has a nice feel to it

Both guns are winners and neither is a bad choice.
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

anything