Author Topic: Added trigger over-travel screw to my CZ97B  (Read 1187 times)

Offline bu bye

Added trigger over-travel screw to my CZ97B
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:11:59 PM »
Well as always I can never leave anything alone. So Wed afternoon I was in a gun smithing mood and opened up the safe to see what I could work on. There is a slight bit of over travel in my CZ97B's trigger and it has been bugging me. Enough that it was causing my POI to be 1/4 inch to the right from 10 yards. The 97 is my most accurate gun yet I can shoot my glock better all because of the trigger.

I desided to add an over-travel screw to stop the trigger as soon as it dropped the hammer. Went to my local hardware store and picked up a small 1/2inch long set-screw and tap. Took the gun apart and set the trigger in my mill. Drilled and tapped the hole and filed down the set-screw to the right length after some test fitting. So there was not metal-on-metal contact from the screw to the frame I cut a small piece of electrical wire and pulled out the copper wiring leave the rubber jacket. threaded the rubber over the set screw and used a lighter to melt and form the rubber to the screw and give it a dome shape over the end. Once the rubber cap was made I added loc-tite and set the screw to the right length. The whole project only took about 30 min including the trip to the hardware store. She brakes so clean now and that slight jump to the right that was messing up my POI is now gone. I'll be loading up some 45ACP rounds today for this weekend for testing and if all goes well I'll start using this pistol for matches. Here are a couple pics I took, one old and three with the new screw.......

Before:

After:

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:46:46 PM »
For those who want to TRY the same approach without spending a lot of time or money until you're sure it will really help...

Get a hard rubber eraser from an ink pin (the grey type eraser), and super-glue it to the back of the frame, where it will be hit by the trigger.   (You can also buy the "ink" erasers at most office supply shops and some drug stores.)  

Shave it with a razor until you reach the desired height.  (You can color it with a magic marker to black before gluing it in place, and then touch it up, after you've got it to the right height.)

You can also buy the CZ-85 Combat trigger and just drop it in, if you don't have access to the proper metal-working tools.

Offline bu bye

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
+1 to that ^^^^

I did the same thing to a revolver I used to have and it worked great for about 6 months, then it fell off. When it did I just glued and trimmed another and was back in business. Easy for anyone to do.

BRASMAN

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:15:37 AM »
Nice job bu bye. It looks like it came that way.  

Offline nucz

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 05:18:46 PM »
bu bye, are those Houge grips ? That is one pistol that looks like its all business. Nice job on the stop !   Jim

Offline bu bye

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 06:29:45 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes that is a hogue wrap around grip ment for a CZ75. If you heat the grip up you can stretch it enought to fit the 97. I sold my Springfield loaded 1911 to fund my 97 and I'm glad I did. It is an awsome pistol thats for sure. I just wish I had looked at CZ years ago.

Offline nucz

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 07:29:53 PM »
I thought so...I am thinking about selling my Kimber custom to fund a 97B . Nothing wrong with Kimber,except CZ holds 2 more ,AND you don't need tools to break it down, AND CZ is D/A. (Whoops,thats 3 things) !!  I ,too, agree in wishing I found CZ a lot earlier.  Nice job.   Jim

anything