Author Topic: bought a used cz97b, serial number starts with a A.  (Read 2569 times)

bigfish55

bought a used cz97b, serial number starts with a A.
« on: July 22, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »
i went to the gunshow this morning, came close to buying a new 97b, the best they would give me was 565 out the door. while i was there a guy tells me there is a used one sitting here in town. I go there and buy it for 350 out the door. I have never bought a used gun before, i hope i dont regret it. The numbers on the gun start with an A, Its like A6778 or something, so i think it might be an early model. the outside looks great, The only thing i saw was the clip doesnt fit up all that snug, seems like it has a 1/4 inch gap at the bottom. Someone might know what is causing that. I cant pick it up until thursday, guess i will try it then.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »
Note: there was not need to have this message in two message areas, so I deleted the other one...
-------------------------

Serial numbers don't tell you much.  They're not really tied to WHEN the gun was made, etc.

The 97Bs, except for a few having problems feeding hollowpoints, have been pretty much trouble free.

The year of manufacture is shown in a small oval near the ejection port.

The MAGAZINE (it's not a "clip") doesn't fit snugly on any of them -- that's a quirk of the design.  

This past year CZ introduced new mags with a wide plastic base that solves the problem cosmetically.  You can probably get new bases from CZ.  There's nothing really wrong with the mag fitting as it does -- it just isn't pretty.

bigfish55

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
thanx for the reply Walt.   I will look for the year of manufacture when i get it home.  I need to order a new magazine "down here people say clip alot", so maybe i can get the one from cz that looks nicer.  It only came with 1 mag. so i needed another anyway.   I will take it apart and give it a good clean and lube.   Then i will post a range report.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 05:10:21 PM »
The folks around there have it wrong.  <grin>

A "clip" is a device used to load a removable or fixed magazine.  It's a metal spring-like device that holds the rounds as they are inserted into a magazine.  Most old military guns used clips -- including the M1 Garand.  (When the mag was emptied, the clip was ejected, giving a characteristic PING!!)   With some military guns, they're called "stripper" clips, and you strip rounds off the "clip" as you push them into the mag.

There are a number of sources for CZ-97B mags, but if you get one from CZ, its likely to be exactly the same as the one you've got -- unless you specifically ask for and get one with the new basepads, or buy the base pads separately.  (You should have at least THREE!)

The CZ-97B uses the same mags as the full-size Witness .45s and the ASAHI One Pro.  I've had all three at the same time, and the mags were identical -- told apart only by the model name on the mag.  All three firms use Mec-Gar to make their "factory" mags.

Don't buy any Pro-Mags for the 97B; While Pro-Mags for CZs are not that bad, you can get the best (Mec-Gar) for a buck or two more, and there's just no reason to be cheap with your mags.)  There's also no reason to pay the CZ-USA price which is a lot more than you can find them elsewhere.

Good luck in your hunt.

Offline sgphoto

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »
Try Arizona Gunrunners for the Witness magazines.  About 20.00 each MGGT4510B

www.arizonagunrunners.net...ecgar.html

It's a wonderful gun.  350.00 is a great price.  Mine eats everything, FMJ and HPs and no failures yet of any sort.

Steve

bigfish55

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
thanks fella's, i am plenty excited to wring some rounds through this gun.    its gonna be a long week of waiting.    I will check into the mags,  and see if i can find some of the newer base plates.    Now if i can just make it to thursday.

BRASMAN

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 10:58:26 PM »
Nice deal you got. $350 out the door if it is in great shape is a fantastic deal in my opinion.

n-12-Volt-Man-czechpistols82792

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 10:25:59 PM »
Great deal.  I haven't seen one at that price since I got mine over two years ago.  Congrats.

Offline strictlycz

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 03:07:41 PM »
Hello,  You did real good on price and choice of weapon. I have owned 2 in the past, and unfortunately sold both to fund other gun purchases. Come to find out I shot the 97b as well as the Kimber I got instead. In fact my father just picked one up (97b) that was slightly customized for around $400.........that shoots better than his Wilson combat or Kimber gold match. The 97b is in my opinion, the best value in .45 you can buy. I would also suggest in addition to getting more mags.......to get an extra barrel bushing. They have been known to strip (or peel).  Good luck with your fine weapon.

Mike Arnold

bigfish55

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:24:41 PM »
sounds good, i will look in to the bushing

anything