Author Topic: Decided To Buy A Dillon  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Matt101

Re: Decided To Buy A Dillon
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 08:55:05 AM »
The Inline version has removable top plates so you can mount different presses on the same mount.

Their handle is offset too which really helps the shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
We can't hold our collective breaths much longer.  :-X  We need an update !

When will we see pictures of the new family member ?

And don't give us this stuff...

O0
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:07:08 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline t107

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
From Tracking Getting on the the 17th. Ill post pictures when i set baby blue up!

Offline levellinebrad

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2017, 07:57:53 PM »
I would also recommend a vibra prime for loading the primers in the tubes. I recently purchased a 1050 and was loading 10 tubes at a time. I hate loading the tubes so when a buddy of mine told me he had one he'd sell me, I bought it thinking wth. It works very well and I can load 10 tubes in about 7 minutes.
Greed and the struggle for power will rule the day until we the people decide we have had enough.

Offline t107

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
I would also recommend a vibra prime for loading the primers in the tubes. I recently purchased a 1050 and was loading 10 tubes at a time. I hate loading the tubes so when a buddy of mine told me he had one he'd sell me, I bought it thinking wth. It works very well and I can load 10 tubes in about 7 minutes.

Was thinking on buying But Mixed reviews holding me back?

Offline walther white

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »
For budget light, my home improvement store carries a small LED trouble light with a plastic hook.  I just hang it from the crimp die and I can visually verify powder level on 9mm and 380

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »

I load 3-6 tubes the old fashion way before I start, depending on how many rounds I plan on loading.  It's not a big deal.

Offline muncie21

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »

I love mine so much, I purchased a second one, just in case...
When I first go mine, I was loading CCI SPP mostly.  Switched to S&B primers (and at the same time purchased a replacement plastic tray) and between the two changes (not sure which contributed more) the VP unit works rather boringly. 

One the primers are all oriented correctly (which is required when you're manually poking primers too) a tube gets filled in about 10 seconds; no fuss, no drama.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 11:12:58 PM »
the primers are all oriented correctly (which is required when you're manually poking primers too

It's really not, though, is it?

With S&B and Winchester and CCI, they're 95-100%% oriented the right to begin with so long as I'm careful, and then Federal is 50/50 because they're stored on their rim.  Either way,  I pick up the ones that are oriented the right way, then put the lid on and flip the tray and then pick up the remainder.  I don't do the shaky shaky until they're all facing one way.  ;)

Offline t107

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »
 I would Like to Thank Everyone For your Tips and Help!!  I LOVE MY DILLON!!!
 https://ibb.co/album/hfY0aa

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2017, 10:24:39 AM »
When I get a new Dillon I like to do several things to the powder measure...

? A lot of people remove the clear hopper tube and polish the metal funnel inside. I use some 320 to 400 grit emery cloth, which cleans it right up. I've not been able to tell that this does anything, but it makes me feel better.  ;D

? Dumping some powdered graphite down the hopper will lubricate the slide and get things working good. You could/should also run a cup of 231, WSF, BE-86, or some other graphite-coated power through the powder measure. You'll see that the Dillon PM settles right down and dispenses accurate powder loads within 6 or 8 "dumps". Graphite can be found in the Lock section of your local hardware store.

? This accuracy of powder dispensing is mainly due to the cam operated fly-back mechanism that dispenses the same vibration regardless of the op speed of the press. That's a very unique design feature that is highly under appreciated. You can help this by adding a VERY light weight spring to the powder bar. Such a return spring was used on the Gen 1 Dillon powder measures. See the photo.

? You can make adjustment faster, easier, and more accurate by installing a press-on plastic knob to the hex adjustment bolt. The larger the radius of the knob, the more precision the knob will be capable of. I find these on Ebay for about $5 for two knobs. See the photo.

? You can make adjustment more fool-proof by using a marking pen to add plus and minus marks to the hopper body so that you'll remember which way to turn the knob to make those final adjustments. Some knobs now come with the direction arrow imprinted on them. See the photo.

Dillon PM with optional knob, marking, and relaxed return spring

? Powder Bars:
A) If you load both pistol and rifle, you MAY at some point want to buy another new or used powder measure so that you have dedicated measures with the large and small powder bars already fitted.
B) If you find that powder is leaking from the bar, then call Dillon CS because they offer a "tight fitting" powder bar for use with very fine powders.
C) If you load 25Auto or 380Auto and find the "small powder bar" too big, then Dillon also offers a smaller version just for those tiny loads.

Enjoy !  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:09:40 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline t107

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
When I get a new Dillon I like to do several things to the powder measure...

? A lot of people remove the clear hopper tube and polish the metal funnel inside. I use some 320 to 400 grit emery cloth, which cleans it right up. I've not been able to tell that this does anything, but it makes me feel better.  ;D

? Dumping some powdered graphite down the hopper will lubricate the slide and get things working good. You could/should also run a cup of 231, WSF, BE-86, or some other graphite-coated power through the powder measure. You'll see that the Dillon PM settles right down and dispenses accurate powder loads within 6 or 8 "dumps". Graphite can be found in the Lock section of your local hardware store.

? This accuracy of powder dispensing is mainly due to the cam operated fly-back mechanism that dispenses the same vibration regardless of the op speed of the press. That's a very unique

design feature that is highly under appreciated.
You can help this by adding a VERY light weight spring to the powder bar. Such a return spring was used on the Gen 1 Dillon powder measures. See the photo.

? You can make adjustment faster, easier, and more accurate by installing a press-on plastic knob to the hex adjustment bolt. The larger the radius of the knob, the more precision the knob will be capable of. I find these on Ebay for about $5 for two knobs. See the photo.

? You can make adjustment more fool-proof by using a marking pen to add plus and minus marks to the hopper body so that you'll remember which way to turn the knob to make those final adjustments. Some knobs now come with the direction arrow imprinted on them. See the photo.

Dillon PM with optional knob, marking, and relaxed return spring

? Powder Bars:
A) If you load both pistol and rifle, you MAY at some point want to buy another new or used powder measure so that you have dedicated measures with the large and small powder bars already fitted.
B) If you find that powder is leaking from the bar, then call Dillon CS because they offer a "tight fitting" powder bar for use with very fine powders.
C) If you load 25Auto or 380Auto and find the "small powder bar" too big, then Dillon also offers a smaller version just for those tiny loads.

Enjoy !  ;)

Thanks   ;D

[Mods fixed the quote]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:10:43 AM by Wobbly »

anything