Author Topic: strange glock finish  (Read 2116 times)

Offline pistolaro

strange glock finish
« on: June 05, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »
I just purchased a used  Glock-26, it was made 7 years ago and was a back-up gun for a corrections officer. shot 50 rds. through it in all that time, practically a new gun. the slide has a strange finish, one that ive never seen before. It looks like its painted flat black. Gun dealer says it is a melonite coating. what is that? Is it any good? It seems on the rough side, and i dont know how well it wears. need some help on this one.

KingPolymer-III

strange glock finish
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:38:47 AM »
pistolaro:
  Melonite coating on glocks has been around for a while now., it is similar to tennifer QPQ.  They blast the metal with nitrogen and giving a strong oxidized cooling bath.  It creates excellent wear resistance.
 I had an old generation 26 with similar characteristics and called up Glocks technical support,  they call the process nitrocarbonization.
  Try this for fun,  go into a dark closet and hold up a flashlight to the slide and it will sparkle a bit, almost like glitter.  LOL
  Hope this helps

Offline pistolaro

strange glock finish
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 04:32:10 PM »
King; once again you are correct, the Glock slide does sparkel when struck with a bright light. That was cool!

thanks, pistolaro

KingPolymer-III

strange glock finish
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 05:01:55 PM »
Glad I could help and I am happy you enjoyed the demo.

anything