Author Topic: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?  (Read 12564 times)

Offline SilentRecon

Re: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
Glock 43.

I purchased my wife a Ruger LCP and then a S&W bodyguard in .380 because I fell into the "women need small uber compact .380 because recoil blah blah" trap. Throw that out the window now.

My wife is a petite 5'2" 110lbs and CCW the Glock 43 daily, shoots it lights out, and the others collect dust.

Reliability, Slim, and 9mm.

The Glock 43 OEM trigger is better than the latter and a better firearm all around. 

Make sure you use the correct ammo in it as not all 9mm defense ammo are designed for subcompact barrel length.  Federal HST 147g HP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Kelsw

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:50 PM »
Glock 43.

I purchased my wife a Ruger LCP and then a S&W bodyguard in .380 because I fell into the "women need small uber compact .380 because recoil blah blah" trap. Throw that out the window now.

My wife is a petite 5'2" 110lbs and CCW the Glock 43 daily, shoots it lights out, and the others collect dust.

The Glock 43 OEM trigger is better than the latter and a better firearm all around. 

Make sure you use the correct ammo in it as not all 9mm defense ammo are designed for subcompact barrel length.  Federal HST 147g HP.

I could not agree more in fact saw an example of the very thing at my local range . Small tiny guns are very difficult to shoot and hit anything !!! My Shield has a trigger safety so fumbling around in my purse for a ND is unlikely . Crossbreed holster is kydex just like a IWB carry .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:02:45 PM by Kelsw, Reason: mistake »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
Glock 43.

I could not agree more in fact saw an example of the very thing at my local range . Small tiny guns are very difficult to shoot and hit anything !!! My Shield has a trigger safety so fumbling around in my purse for a ND is unlikely . Crossbreed holster is kydex just like a IWB carry .
Do you like the crossbreed panel with the holster attached that goes in your purse as well?
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2019, 01:50:35 PM »
I am not big on 380and do not own one currently. From what I have seen I would consider the M&P Shield 380EZ. If she needs something tiny, and will train on shooting it, the RUger LCP 2.

Offline Kelsw

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »
I bought the whole system (small ) and it works well and the velcro holds up . You can reposition the holster where you want as it is velcro on velcro . Anyways so far it has worked for me . 

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
I bought the whole system (small ) and it works well and the velcro holds up . You can reposition the holster where you want as it is velcro on velcro . Anyways so far it has worked for me .
thanks for reply.sounds like a winner.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
I bought a .380 EZ awhile back.  It's okay.  Not super excited about the groups with the FMJ or the hollow points.  I suppose, if I keep buying/trying store bought ammo, or find a nice reloads recipe for it then it might shoot better.

A couple weeks back I bought my wife a  Performance Center Shield in 9MM.  The little bugger shoots rings around the .380 EZ.

If I were to buy another small plastic framed carry gun it would be a Performance Center Shield 9MM.

I paid the same price for both.  $400 for the Shield EZ at a local gun store and $400 for the Shield 9MM Performance Center (with night sights) from Cabela's (on sale).

And, the 9MM ammo is cheaper and has a larger selection of bullet weights/types.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline mtang45

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
I have recently come across a situation in the family where my daughter may need to start carrying a pistol.
To start off with she is already a very good shot but there will be plenty a practice in the very near future.
 she is only 5 ' 4 " and 100 pounds.
But fights like a bobcat when pushed to the Limit.
I'm thinking a 380 with  Federal HST defense rounds , would be a good size for her. She has shot my po7 and done very well, but for her lifestyle I think  a 380 would suit her much better.
I'm just starting to look at these pistols but haven't decided.
I would like to hear from those who have bought a pistol for their  daughter, and I would like to hear from those who have extensive background of using a 380 and what would you trust your daughter's life with.
1) Safety and handling , LITTLE or NO chance of accidental discharge because of poor controls or otherwise.
2)Reliability , proven weapons.
 3)Shootability, easy to operate and hold good trigger.

Based upon your #1 criteria I'm thinking a Glock anything is out for a woman to carry in her purse, unless it was a dedicated CCW purse. Pistols mingled with all the other stuff that reside in a woman's purse is only a recipe for an ND disaster. A dedicated CCW purse with a holster that covers the trigger would be best if going the Glock route.

A DA/SA pistol of caliber and size that fits your daughter is probably the best bet. One poster on here suggested that a glock 42 is double action.....it is NOT DA. A little longer learning curve than a SA only pistol but safer.

Just my 2 cents, others may not agree.

Offline Fundy

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2019, 04:02:01 PM »
I have a used S&W PPK that has ran perfectly through 1000 rounds or better. It goes bang without fail, 100% of the time.  The Bersa has good reviews, especially for the money, but I have no experience with one.  The Springfield 911 is same as the Sig, but actually runs, even takes the same mags. I have 300 rounds through one without a failure.  There is always the CZ 83, but my example isn't reliable enough yet to recommend.  What fits her best and goes bang every time will be more up to her than us IMHE.

I have a Bersa Thunder 380...it is excellent. It has a better DA trigger than the Walther PPK, and holds 7+1 rounds with decocker. Great SA, too. Very little recoil with ordinary range ammo. And as you said, the price is right. The one ding I give it is the small sights with won't work well with my old eyes. Still waiting on someone to come out with fiber optic sights to fit it.  Springfields, Kimbers, Sigs, etc. Big $.
Retirement: Where every night is Friday night and every day is Saturday

Offline fastfr8r

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2019, 07:28:08 AM »
Glock 43.

+1

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2019, 08:33:59 AM »
 I appreciate everybody's response to this thread.  at this point my daughter has changed her mind for whatever reason it's her decision not to carry.
Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. DOC

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2019, 06:34:55 PM »
Keep working on it.  It took me 6 years for me to convince my lady to get her CCW.  Learning is good!

Offline Ruber

what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2019, 09:48:21 PM »
I know this discussion is on hold for a bit, but thought I’d share a new to me BDA.  These were pretty cheap as police trade ins a while back, and I missed the boat.  But finally picked one up and have really enjoyed shooting it. 

It handled and shoots like a full sized 9, but carries much nicer.  Shoots fine out at 25 yards, but much faster follow up shots at closer ranges.

Anyways, it is the smoothest shooting and most reliable 380 I’ve used so far.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:29:32 PM by Ruber »