Author Topic: CZ 557 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Question  (Read 1502 times)

Offline DaThinMan

CZ 557 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Question
« on: January 07, 2024, 08:38:42 PM »
1st post...  I recently purchased a 557 American 6.5 Creedmoor with walnut stock.  This is my 1st CZ firearm, and I have yet to fire it.  The seller was able to provide no information on the rifle or its history.  My inspection of it shows it's seen very little use.  I was hoping for some insight from those more familiar with the rifle as to what factory ammunition will work well in it.  Its use will be target and occasional hunting.  From what I've read, bullet profile (tangent, secant, or hybrid ogive) can affect accuracy, and some rifles are more sensitive to this than others.  Until I get more familiar with the rifle I'd like to stick to factory ammunition and experiment with bullet types later, should I decide to reload my own.  What has worked well for you as far as manufacturer, bullet weight, and type?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline crosstimbers

Re: CZ 557 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 08:05:31 AM »
All you can do is try different brands and bullet weights and see what works best in your rifle. If you do not handload yet, then any reputable manufacturer is as good a bet as any other- you wont know until you try. I load 140 gr in my handloads (for 6.5x55, dont own a CM), I'm not even sure what different weights are available in factory loads but 140 is pretty common.

Sorry to be of so little help.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline DaThinMan

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 10:44:21 AM »
Thanks crosstimbers.  I was hoping to shorten the learning curve and save a few $$$ in the process. 

Offline JBruns

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 06:49:53 PM »
I'd recommend trying the Hornady Match ammo. I started with that when my 6.5CM was new (not a CZ) and was very impressed with it at 100yds.

Offline DaThinMan

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 10:24:39 AM »
I'd recommend trying the Hornady Match ammo. I started with that when my 6.5CM was new (not a CZ) and was very impressed with it at 100yds.
   Thanks, that was one I was considering.