Author Topic: p-01 as a concealed carry  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Mort

p-01 as a concealed carry
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:07:37 AM »
Hello all, I am having a delima from hades.  I am in the market for my first personal concealed carry weapon.  I love the feel and everything i have read about this thing.  My question is how good is this thing for concealed carry.  I plan on getting a crossbread supertuck for holster no matter what weapon i finally choose.  Looking for experiences that you all have dealing with this.  Thanks yall. 

Offline badge38

Re: p-01 as a concealed carry
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 05:44:55 AM »
 Hello Mort, and welcome to the CZ Forum.  Depending on the type of clothing you are usually wearing,  the P-01 is an excellent choice for CCW.  I use and IWB holster from High Noon ,  and it's comfortable.  Also remember ..... if you never used a holster before, it's simular to anything (or anyone)  else .... it takes time to get comfortable with.  A top grade hoster does make a difference.  Although it will not be like carrying another wallet.   ;D
Sig Sauer 225, Equinox 220
Ed Brown  Massad Ayoob 1911
S&W M&P 9c, 642 Airweight

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:28 AM »
I agree, I have an excellent IWB for my P01, and carry it every day. Bar none. In AZ summer heat, under a loose t-shirt, no issues. :) A cheap rig will be torture, a good one makes the grade - and don't forget a good belt! Looked at Hazel Leather's offerings lately?

Offline jwhendy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
Preface: bear in mind these comments are from a noob who doesn't even carry yet ;)

I'm in the exact same boat. Getting the CC permit soon, have a permit to purchase on the way... read and read... and read about various handguns and stumbled upon CZs one day and have yet to be convinced that they are far from perfect. I'm pretty small (5' 8" and ~150lbs) and had definite concerns about concealing the P-01. On the other hand, I shot a friends MP 40c and had a poor experience with it. My pinky hung off of it and I just did not feel confident with it at all. When I found a P-01 to hold, it felt amazing. Even though it's just slightly bigger, I have somewhat smaller hands so it really allowed me to get a great grip.

I returned for a second visit and had my concealed carrying friend put the P-01 in his IWB holster (very inexpensive one for his MP 40c) and he told me that it would definitely work and that he would not mind carrying it at all.

Anyway, hope that helps. I worry more about the size than the weight... so hearing that the size was manageable for a small guy (he's about my build) was all I needed to hear to finalize my decision. As I've read from a lot of veterans, sometimes the holster quality, and especially the belt quality, make more of a difference than the handgun itself.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
John

Offline nosaj750

• IIAoA
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »
I used to carry the 9mm RAMI daily with a supertuck and traded it for a P-01 and use the same supertuck. There is a little more weight but, to help combat that I purchased a gun belt from Crossbreed and it makes a huge difference in keeping the P-01 in place and supporting the extra weight. I haven't had anyone say or notice that I carry the P-01 or the RAMI. The supertuck works wonderfully at concealing the gun and adding the belt helps out a lot. You won't have any problems regardless of your size concealing it. If you wear it with a tucked in shirt you just have to blouse it out accordingly all the way around. You won't regret going with the P-01 as a CCW. You may want to add some Meprolight night sights, that's been my latest addtion to it and they're awesome. Much better the the factory sights. As for an ammo choice for SD I've shot many different loads through it and so far the Hornady Critical Defense seems to be the most accurate with the least recoil.
CZ P01
CZ 75 Compact
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel
Stag Model 7 6.8spc
Alexander Arms 17hmr
Savage 17hmr

Offline nkpd44

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »
I carry a P01 off duty everyday in a crossbreed supertuck.  I conceal it under a t shirt that fits, not gangbanger baggy or 3 sizes to small to make me look bigger :D and it disappears.  I am 5'9" 180lbs and wear size large t shirts, so I'm not a huge guy.  To aid in concealability, I replaced the rubber stocks with wood and have mags without the rubber basepads.  The rubber was more apt to catch on my shirt.  I carry it at about 5 o'clock, which for me is the happy medium between comfort and concealment.  I hope this helps.     

Offline nosaj750

• IIAoA
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »
That's about where I carry and I'm the exact same build. I do have a ? for you nkpd44 . Where do you get the non rubber base plates for the mags. I agree with you, they do tend to catch on your shirt. A hard plastic or metal would be ideal but, I want something that still looks like it's factory made and fits right.
CZ P01
CZ 75 Compact
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel
Stag Model 7 6.8spc
Alexander Arms 17hmr
Savage 17hmr

Offline nkpd44

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:09:41 PM »
That's about where I carry and I'm the exact same build. I do have a ? for you nkpd44 . Where do you get the non rubber base plates for the mags. I agree with you, they do tend to catch on your shirt. A hard plastic or metal would be ideal but, I want something that still looks like it's factory made and fits right.

Mec Gar makes the mags for CZ, I got the mags with no baseplates for $19.99 ea. here:  http://www.cdnninvestments.com/czco9mm14blm.html

Offline bigdaddylove

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
any big guys have this? i am 6'2" and 380 (hence "bigdaddylove") and i am curious how this feels especially when sitting on driving.

thanks,
bdl

Offline CaseyP

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
I'm 6'2" and about 250, so not quite as big as you, but I have the FIST Inc IWB that works well.  I wear normal fitting collared shirts in the winter and it's fine.  I carry about 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty), and I feel totally concealed.   I walk around the house with it, and ask my girlfriend if she notices, which she doesn't.  Plus she knows I own the pistol and have a concealed carry, which a stranger wouldn't.

So yes when I carry the P-01 it is very concealable, I feel.

In the summer I carry my Kahr P380 in the front pocket. 

Offline dross

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 02:11:14 AM »
6'2", 260, Crossbreed Supertuck makes it disappear under a thin t-shirt.  I put thin alumuinum grips on.  Love it as a CC weapon.  I have a Kel Tec PF9 as well, can't get more concealable than that, but with the Supertuck, I can carry the CZ which I'm much more confident shooting.

junkit

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »
I tried IWB carry for my RAMI and it just didn't work for me - maybe the wrong holster or body or personality. I switched to OWB with a good belt holster and belt - works better for me. Mostly, I wear Levi's with T-shirt or regular shirt outside. I wear loose fitting shirts (darker colors) and the P-01 hides well.

Yes bigdaddylove, driving/sitting bothered me with IWB. And at my age, I sit a lot more now than I used to.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:32:45 PM by junkit »

Offline CaseyP

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »
open carry is sort of dangerous here, in that as you move around town, the legality of it changes a lot, it is legal in NC, but illegal in a lot of towns and cities, so it's a risk I don't really care for.  and with wearing a coat or something, I take them off, and them bam, open carry.

Offline mp517prct

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
I'm 5'11" 250lbs. and carry a multitude of different pistols in a shoulder holster.  I'm always afraid of a pistol "printing" on my shirt if it's on my waist.  Keeping it under my arm in a horizontal shoulder holster makes concealability a snap.  I wear Under Armour shirts underneath a loose fitting polo shirt, untucked button down shirt, or football/hockey jersey and lift the front of the shirt to access the gun.  In a car, a shoulder holster is probably the best way to carry.  Since you're not sitting on your gun, it's far easier to deploy.
I Swear On My Life And My Love Of It, That I Will Never Live For The Sake Of Another Man, Nor Ask Another Man To Live For Mine. - John Galt

Offline salskov

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »

I pretty much permanently wear a vest, whether just a vest (summer) or a

Weathercoat over the vest (winter).

Either way, shoulder holster to port and 2 spare magazines to starboard.

No print, swift access, and no hassle about size of jeans.

Works for me.

salskov

anything