Author Topic: Scope suggestions for CZ-527 in .204 Ruger  (Read 12380 times)

Offline AtTheMurph

Re: Scope suggestions for CZ-527 in .204 Ruger
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
I picked up my new 527 American in 204 on Friday. I've read all sorts of threads and posts on scopes etc. and figured, what the hell, I have a Redfield Revolution 4x12 so I mounted it with the CZ rings because I wanted to shoot the bleep thing!

I generally like the scope low and just looking at the mount I figured I would not like it and would need to probably do something, mod the bolt, etc. Picked up the gun and the scope height fit me perfectly....?

Went out and set up targets at 50yd (to bore sight and get the rounds on paper) 100yds, 200yds, 300yds (a cast iron calf watering bowl) and 400yds.

First shot at 50 and my buddy started laughing. He said "you shot the target clean off the cardboard!" Cleaned the bore and shot two more right on (a little high). Swung over to 100yd and right on a little high.

Over to 200yd and did a 3 shot all on target (as good as I can shoot!). Swung over and tried to hit the 300yd watering bowl. Shot once and thought "bleep a clean miss". Shot a 2nd and miss?  We went to check to see what was going and and see if we could see where the rounds were hitting. When we got out there there were two hole clean through the bowl. It was set up so we thought if it were hit the thing would fall over but that little 32 gr blasted through it so clean that it never even wobbled.

I have never in my life mounted a scope that did not need even one click of adjustment. It also fits me even if it does look like the scope is levitating in space. I might get a scope with a bigger objective and move this one to a 6.5x55 but I think I should screw around with it. Seem made for each other.   

Offline SerenityNetworks

• EzySetup
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »
It does sound like great match.  Please post a picture when you get the chance.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

NRA Life Member
There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge

Offline AtTheMurph

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »

It worked!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:24:47 PM by AtTheMurph »

Offline P01monster

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »
Does anyone have the DIP base on a 527 Carbine?  I'm curious if you can still see the iron sights with it installed.

Thanks,

Offline Chief4

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Well, I totally forgot to post back.

I love the rifle and I love the scope.  After bore sighting (the old fashioned way - taking the bold out and looking through the bore at a target 50 yards away) and getting a quick zero at 100 yards, I put the next two rounds in under an inch at 200 yards (shooting prone with a bipod and rear sandbag).  Seeing that I thought to myself, 'Well, I'm wasting time here', so I moved on to 300 yards.  As the wind was gusty, the groups opened up, but still stayed under MOA.  I was using factory Hornady 32 grain V-Max ammo.  I figured the wind might push around 32 grains pretty easily, but at around 4000 fps I guess it just doesn't have much time to push it very far.  I moved on to 400 yards and the groups opened up to five and six inches.  I obviously have a lot to learn on doping the wind.  But hey, it was the first time I'd shot anything at 400 yards since I was a kid.  (I hadn't shot anything but a shotgun for 38 years until recently.)  So with 1.5 MOA at 400 yards in an eight o'clock gusty wind I was still quite happy.

I've seen many of the fellows at the range nail softballs and even golf balls at 400 and 500 yards, so I know I'm a long way away from being considered a 'good shot'.  Yet seeing how accurate the rifle is with just me and factory ammo I am just amazed and very pleased.  I have to admit, I don't think it is a very attractive rifle at all.  It's skinny, the magazine sticks out oddly, the walnut is an odd shade, and I just don't like the lines.  Yet it balances well for me in any position and a natural feeling cheek weld brings me perfectly in line with the scope when I'm using a sling or bipod.  The trigger is awesome.  With this kind of performance, who cares about looks!  She instantly became the queen of the harem!

Thanks to eveyone in the forum for the suggestions in this thread and on others.  I'm one happy guy.

Regards,
Andrew

Offline KLR650

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
Weaver V-series, Bushnell Elite, Vor-Tex, and Sightron are all brands made by OLW in Japan. OLW builds very good scopes and are among ther best values on the market, no matter what branding company happens to offer them.

My CZ 527 in .204 Ruger carries a Weaver V-16 with ballistic reticle. It is 4-16 x 42 with AO and made in Japan by OLW. BTW, AO is tougher than side focus, and you will be shooting a lot if you hunt prairie dogs like me. With high rings or CZ supplied rings, you do not have ocular bell and bolt handle clearance problems like so many scopes that have oversized ocular bells these days.

The AO goes down to 30 feet, so this is an excellent PCP air rifle scope as well, or a rimfire scope. Unlike Chinese scopes, the AO markings are VERY accurate and will function as a rangefinder out to nearly 100 yards. Just say NO to Chinese scopes. No need to buy them when OLW scopes are so available under so many brand names.

I bought a new Redfield scope for half the price, but it is half the scope that the Weaver V-16 is. It's good enough for my Ruger 10/22, but a CZ 527 deserves a much nicer scope, like a Leupold VX-3, Bushnell Elite, Weaver V-series, Vortex, Sightron, etc.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:27:22 PM by KLR650 »