Author Topic: SELF TRAINING  (Read 3567 times)

Offline CZNE

SELF TRAINING
« on: October 31, 2002, 01:20:09 PM »
Here is the situation.  While there are a bunch of pluses to where I live, one minus is the unavailability of handgun or firearms instruction of any type.  Additionally there arent any IDPA clubs very close.  Usually training one's self is an expensive way to do anything however that is my only option at this point.  My question is this, what specific types of training could I use on my own to increase my defensive handgun skills?  Currently I try to shoot at least once a week.  I am sure there are many others who have face this same situation.

Walt-Sherrill

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 01:33:44 PM »
Given you don't have access to personal instruction, you're stuck.

I'm about to order the first two of the following books from the indicated website.  Guys on the IDPA list and The Firing Line, who have read/reviewed them give them high marks.

[See later NOTE, below. The link was also wrong.  Now corrected!]

www.marksmans.com

Here's the write up from the site:

Quote:
Some Of The Answer, Handgun
A Basic Handgun Technique Review Manual
Some Of The Answer, Handgun-A Basic Handgun Technique Review Manual by Jim Crews was released August 31, 2001. This is a first level handgun manual covering the basics of gun handling for the self-loading handgun and revolver, including the basic presentation, loading, unloading, tactical reloading, press checking, basic malfunction clearances, the basics of marksmanship and follow-through, the basics of movement, the basic shooting platforms and an introduction to personal tactics. This manual is 129 pages, 8-1/2 x 11, with over 290 detailed step by step photos for both the left and right handed shooter.

Some Of The Answer, Handgun-A Basic Handgun Technique Review Manual, soft cover only is $24.95 plus shipping.

An Advanced Handgun Technique Manual
From the novice to the master, this manual is some of the answer. No shooter or instructor should be without this manual as a ready reference. Some Of The Answer, Handgun-An Advanced Handgun Technique Manual by Jim Crews, was released to the public on July 20, 2002. This new manual is by far the best gun handling manual available to the handgun shooter. There is no other like it either in volume or depth of information available. This manual is 263 pages (8-1/2 X 11) and is available either soft cover or in a 3 ring binder. The manual is clear, concise and almost every action is described in detail and illustrated by detailed photographs or illustrations. The manual has over 760 high quality photos providing a ready reference for the shooter. This manual covers material from the basics of the handgun, to being able to perform a one handed emergency speed reload while on the move. It covers techniques for the right and left handed shooter as well as disability techniques to be utilized when only one hand is available. This manual has been described as the best gun handling manual in existence by many of our professional customers. We think you will have difficulty finding another handgun manual that meets the personal training requirement set forth in this manual.

Some Of The Answer, Handgun-An Advanced Handgun Technique Manual, soft cover is $34.95, 3 ring binder version is $39.95 plus shipping.

When he first introducted, he offered it with free shipping, and I screwed around and didn't followup in time.  I'll order mine in the next few days: both books.

----
NOTE:  I just exchanged emails with Jim, and he said that the second book includes the contents of the first -- no reason to buy both.  I ordered the advanced this evening.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
SELF TRAINING
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 03:01:46 PM »
...I have found that dry-firing with a snap-cap about 100-200 times a day cannot be beat.  I try to do as much as possible in one session, so I am also exercising the muscles used in presentation, etc.  In general, I am in so-so shape, but I have found there are some muscles/tendons/ligaments only used in shooting (or only used in those ways).  This has been the first week doing this on a schedule, and it is helping me tremendously.
The artist formerly known as FEG...

cztops

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 12:05:26 AM »
I would second Walt's suggestion on Jim's advanced handgun book. Jim is an excellent instructor and writes very well also.

The mechanics of shooting a gun in self defense is only one aspect. Besides learning good fundamentals, it has to be ingrained so that it moves from conscious to unconsious skills. I will paraphrase from one of Ayoob's books:

Unconscious Incompetence - you don't know what you don't know.
Consious Incompentence - you realize you don't know
Conscious Competence - when thinking about a certain skill you can perform it on demand
Unconscious Competence - can perform skill on demand without thinking about it.

It is periodic dryfire and livefire of good skills that move gun handling to an unconscious place so your thinking capacity can address other important aspects of your fight for life such as mindset, observation, tactics, etc.

After "Some of the Answer, Handgun", I would suggest these as a baseline list of books to read (I reread these books at least annually):

"Real-World Survival! What Has Worked For Me" by Walt Rauch. The first four chapters deals with understanding the situation and the mindset to survive.

"The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence" by Gavin De Becker. Conscious and unconscious signals from people and the environment that demand a reaction. The How-To of awareness.

"Nation of Cowards: Essays on the Ethics of Gun Control" by Jeff Snyder. This may seem out of place but the contents of this book go to the heart of a philosophical underpinning for your self defense mindset and actions.

These are the four books you should buy and read. If you read and act on these books, you will be better equipped than 97% of the people who have guns for self defense.

Glockguy-23

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 05:57:40 PM »
If you can put together a class of 8 students, I can arrange and FR&I Level II class, at a range in your area, for you.  Best defensive handgun training money can buy...

Chuck-Edwards

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 08:25:26 PM »
And as a graduate of this course, I'll add my recommendation.  I almost dislocated Glockguy's elbow during the unarmed defense part. :)

Regards,

Chuck

Glockguy-23

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2002, 08:10:05 PM »
That you did, brother.  That you did... :)

Walt-Sherrill

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2002, 03:54:43 PM »
An Advanced Handgun Technique Manual, by Jim Crews.

I'm not sure I'd call it a book about "advanced" handgun techniques.  Nearly all topics discussed are what I'd call basic things we should all know.  

But that is not criticism.

The book is full of good basic instruction, with all key points illustrated with multiple, very well-done photgraphs.  includes many, many helpful tips about proper gun handling.

One topic that isn't normally addressed in this kind of book, but addressed here, is how the use of contact lenses (or improperly fitted glasses) can distort what you see and what you aim at. If gives you good tips on how to evaluate if its a problem for you.

If you're just getting started with handguns, this is a VERY GOOD SOURCE of information about safe and rapid gun handling. It addresses how to do fast and safe reloads, how to clear jams, how to hold the weapon, how to evaluate whether the gun really fits you or not, etc.  (It does address "advanced" techniques when it starts dealing with one handed reloads, filling magazines with the weak hand, etc.)

If it sounds like I'm bleeping with faint praise, that is not the case. Its a very good training manual, full of many important handgun fundamentals.

There's not a lot about "marksmanship" and how to shoot more accurately, but there's a lot of material in it that will help keep you alive and also keep you from doing stupid things with a gun in your hand.   That alone could make it work the purchase price.

There are a lot worse ways to spend your money.

Unregistered(d)

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 11:32:17 AM »
i only got one training seminar on technique, safety and handling. after that, i basically taught myself since i could not seem to catch that instructor in a good time. during my third visit to the range, i was the one who taught another beginner who was supposed to meet that instructor but wasnt able to teach my friend, so i instructed him on what i knew. a lot of what i applied came a lot from this forum to supplement what my one time instructor taught me (thanks to a lot to  walt for very many informative posts).

basically, during my  3rd visit  to the range, accuracy has been very good. my next target would be to do things faster since at this stage, accuracy has been my target 1st. any tips on how to go about in training to shoot faster?

what is the better way to raise the gun when you are holding it facing the ground, the sliding style (used by the israeli special forces where its just one motion the gun sights nears the face then sliding the gun and extending your arms while at the same time aligning the dots), or the gun is raised w/out any real bending of the arms then doing the sight acquisition? i dont know if u understand that but its kinda hard to describe.

Walt-Sherrill

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 11:57:24 AM »
The Israeli approach was designed for close quarter combat.  Those trained in this technique do not carry with a round in the chamber. Part of the draw motion includes racking the slide.  Most of the folks using their technique are also highly trained in other martial skills, and doing JUST PART of the skill set is probably a mistake.

It clearly works for them, but I question whether it is an effective technique for most shooters.

Glockguy or others can probably suggest better approaches, but be wary: its real easy to do something stupid when you try to start speeding up.

cztops

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2002, 01:23:27 PM »
You might want to think about the big picture first. What are your goals with firearms? Self defense? IDPA/IPSC? Hunting? Other?

While the four safety rules are universal, and trigger control and follow through too, tactics, mindset, shooting platforms, etc., change between disciplines.

Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it can be, but I would suggest learning a "system" from one person or one school of whatever you want to learn. Then when you have that doctrine and skills as a baseline, I would start to check out other techniques, tactics, etc.

Your current approach, from what I can tell, will end up being a hodge podge of skills that come from different schools, different mindsets, different missions. For example, military mindset and mission won't map well to a civilian self defense mindset and mission. There may be some overlap, but you need to be careful. Another issue to address is how much maintenance will your skills require? Again some military stuff requires thousands of rounds per week to keep their edge. Most civilians are not able to devote that much time and money to maintain those skills.

I think you could do better with a systematic approach so that you build a compatible foundation with fewer holes, I guess in a word, I am talking about "balance".

Unregistered(d)

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2003, 04:02:02 PM »

The Israeli technique works well enough with a pistol that has a lot of slide surface to grab onto like a 1911, browning HP or a Glock.  It is pretty bad with a CZ design because the slide rides inside the frame and there is not a lot to grab onto.  I often use the rear sight as a cocking handle as it is.  

One thing about self training that you can get a lot of mileage out of is the other to legs of the combat shooting triad - tactics and weapon presentation (handling).    

The guys I know who are better at IDPA practice mag changes a lot with snap caps or dummy rounds and I personally do a lot of fast draw and dry fire visualization.   No, this is not just fantasy pretend.   Dry fire practice is an integral part of USMC marksmanship training and has been for decades.   Any gun designed for hard military use like the CZ can handle dry fire no problem.  

You can usually tell the guys who practice their draw and magazine changes from the guys who just shoot when you get into timed events and they are under pressure.   The marksman will be fumbling his mag changes or have an inconsistent draw.  

Another aspect of self training if you have a place to shoot available is to get a shot timer (really essential) and duplicate known ranges.   There is information on the net that has various government qualification courses of fire and the expected par times.  One of the most comprehensive but not overly difficult is the FBI course of fire.  You can view that course of fire here

www.kuci.uci.edu/~dany/fi...rills.html

Do a yahoo seach for the FBI targets and you will come up with a few companies that sell them.   There are more challenging courses of fire, but the FBI standard is a good one to work off of when you want to compare your skills with those of other people.   That way if you are calling around some shooting schools and they want an idea of how well you shoot, you can truthfully say " I shoot a score of ### on the standard FBI course of fire".  

HungWeiLo

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2003, 08:34:35 AM »
Thanks for the link, OSI.  That's really helpful for me.

asad100

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2003, 09:18:28 AM »
Hi,
Can you kindly let me know where to buy the following books from:
Real world survival by Walt Raunch
The gift of fear by Gavin de becker

Thanks
syedasadullahhussaini@hotmail.com

cztops

SELF TRAINING
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2003, 02:53:00 PM »
Check your local book stores. If they're not in stock, they will order them for you.

Or you can buy them online at amazon.com, barnesandnobles.com, etc.

anything