Author Topic: Milsurp rifles - What's your favorite?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Sigm4

Re: Milsurp rifles - What's your favorite?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
I tend to like my milsurps like I like my beer...domestic. Ok, I don’t drink beer, but still...

Here are mine.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Offline eastman

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »
A 308 with happy switch is QUITE expensive and really hard to control on full auto, if it's anything like an M14. OTOH, I also wouldn't mind having a Rhodesian FAL clone someday, when funds permit. Something about the Right Arm of the Free World that is hard to resist.

I have the 21" DSA made-in-USA metric pattern FAL. Mine doesn't go to happy, but at  a demo event, I had the chance to try 2 different configurations that did. One was the standard rifle (18 or 21" w/bipod), and it was quite controllable full-auto when fired the way it was intended (full-auto was meant to fired while prone using the bipod). The other was a shorter carbine (probably 16" but might have been shorter) with a vertical handgrip. It was less controllable full-auto than using a bipod, but not too bad for short bursts (3-5 rounds).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline capt bob

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
Springfield Armory 45/70 Trapdoor     Story behind it

My Father in Law retired DC Motor Cop showed interest in US Military Rifles so for several years I got him for Christmas as follows

The Trap door    Springfield
1903   Winchester
M1 Garand     Winchester
M1 Carbine    National Ordnance

All with Bayonets sheaths  and frogs

Seems he made a 4 gun rack for the trap door  pretty smooth thinking on his part 
so I continued .

He Passed before I could get him the 30/40 Krag an M 14 then Ar 15
Few weeks later my Wifes brother (rightful Heir) showed up at the house with the 4 Rifles and said Pop o would want you to have these  along with his Cherished FN 32 under barrel auto pistol  I was brought to tears

For the next Year my Son Max and I shot every one of those Rifles and the anticipation on his face the first time he shot the Trapdoor was priceless after seeing that Gigantic 45/70 bullet .

The 45/70 became my Favorite not really because it was the best it just meant the most to us.

We enjoyed shooting them all in tribute to Pop o  and those 4 Rifles will be his someday and hopefully go to his children with the story behind them .

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »
Awesome story and collection. That's what it's all about!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »
Probably my K31 followed by my Remington 1903a3

Online Indy_Tim

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
My Winchester M1 Carbine. It's been re-arsenaled, and has a replacement non Winchester barrel, but it's a great shooter and so much fun. My second favorite is a Husqvarna M-38 short rifle.

My Mosin M-38 went down the road. It wasn't any fun to shoot.
I have a Mosin M-38 that I need to do the same thing with.  It has not been to the range in years and I don’t see it bubbling to the top of my ‘want to shoot’ list any time soon.

Offline RSR

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
My Winchester M1 Carbine. It's been re-arsenaled, and has a replacement non Winchester barrel, but it's a great shooter and so much fun. My second favorite is a Husqvarna M-38 short rifle.

I have a Mosin M-38 that I need to do the same thing with.  It has not been to the range in years and I don’t see it bubbling to the top of my ‘want to shoot’ list any time soon.

And 7.62x54r ammo no longer costs about the same to shoot as what 22lr did through most of the panic buying of the past decade...

Offline painter

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »

And 7.62x54r ammo no longer costs about the same to shoot as what 22lr did through most of the panic buying of the past decade...

I sold mine to a young buck that thinks bone jarring recoil is fun.

A crate, two spam cans, of surplus ammo went with the rifle.

I couldn't wait to see it leave. :P
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline aussie57

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »

Exactly. I sold my Shoulder Tenderizer with a crate of ammo quite a while back for $400. Was glad to say bye bye. 

Online Indy_Tim

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »

I couldn't wait to see it leave.
I shot mine in a shooting league years ago.  The final round was 20 rounds prone slow fire.  Those last 5 rounds of that relay were torture wearing a tshirt with that steel buttplate on the shoulder.   I've probably put maybe 20 more rounds through that gun in the years since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline RSR

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 09:17:14 PM »

Don't blame you.  My point was just that extremely low overall cost of weapon and ammo was its primary appeal best as I could gather...  Looked into possibly picking up a Scandinavian variant just due extremely cheap surplus ammo, but even then that ammo was corrosive and didn't make much sense to shoot through an expensive $400+ vs $100-150 standard mosin.

So I don't and never have owned a mosin nagant rifle.

Online Indy_Tim

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »
Cheap ammo and heavy recoil used to be fun.  Now that I’ve gone through rotator cuff surgery, I’m a little more picky about what I abuse the shoulder with going forward.

I can spend all day shooting an M1 Carbine and will enjoy every round downrange.  No sense in abusing an old shoulder with a crappy rifle when you can take care of it with a great one.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2018, 12:32:45 AM »
I've owned (still own one) a few Tula SKS rifles.  I'd love to find a really pristine one with nice matching wood.  The one I have now belonged to a friend who bought it when he turned 18.  Between the two of us, it's nearing the end of its life...

After shooting a lot of .308s, I would like to own a true FAL while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!

by True FAL, do you mean one with the switch that goes all the forward to "happy"? Mine doesn't do that, but it is a 21" barrel with folding bipod and carry handle.

Sorry for the late reply I just now saw it ("replies to your posts" feature).  No, I just meant a real mil surp FAL as opposed to a CETME or @#$% Century build. I enjoyed shooting even a poor FAL, as compared to a G-3 or M-14.  I was pretty accurate with a Federal built G-3 that my friend owned, but I wasn't crazy about the recoil impulse and the fluted chamber (for reloading purposes).  I've shot a few mil surp M-14s and Springfield versions, but I was more accurate and comfortable with the FAL platform. 
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline eastman

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 11:51:35 PM »
I've owned (still own one) a few Tula SKS rifles.  I'd love to find a really pristine one with nice matching wood.  The one I have now belonged to a friend who bought it when he turned 18.  Between the two of us, it's nearing the end of its life...

After shooting a lot of .308s, I would like to own a true FAL while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!

by True FAL, do you mean one with the switch that goes all the forward to "happy"? Mine doesn't do that, but it is a 21" barrel with folding bipod and carry handle.

Sorry for the late reply I just now saw it ("replies to your posts" feature).  No, I just meant a real mil surp FAL as opposed to a CETME or @#$% Century build. I enjoyed shooting even a poor FAL, as compared to a G-3 or M-14.  I was pretty accurate with a Federal built G-3 that my friend owned, but I wasn't crazy about the recoil impulse and the fluted chamber (for reloading purposes).  I've shot a few mil surp M-14s and Springfield versions, but I was more accurate and comfortable with the FAL platform.

DS Arms had Israeli light barrel FAL parts kits for sale. They are producing there own Israeli pattern barrels and will have a matching upper receiver coming out soon.

Don't know about a Century FAL, but I've seen their version of the HK91. CETME is more HK91/G3 than it is FAL. I believe DS Arms is the only current FAL producer (the fun versions are for export).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »
I am continually on the look out for a .303 SMLE or No.4 Mk 1 that hasn't been sporterised or Khybered.

Classic Firearms has a new shipment of them in, but prices have certainly gone up.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

anything