Author Topic: Milsurp rifles - What's your favorite?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline newageroman

• BrassBucket.net - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner
Re: Milsurp rifles - What's your favorite?
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
The CMP just recently had a stack of 03A3s so I nabbed one of those and thus is my current fav. The money was earmarked for a garand, but I love the bolt guns. The 30 carbine is fun too. The only other milsurp I've shot a lot was a mosin. It was a great starter rifle, but I traded it for an 03a3 sporter.
75B-SAO-USPSA gun, SP-01

http://brassbucket.net/ - buy/sell/trade for free - site owner

http://brassbucket.net/ace-digital-brass-trim-kit/" - Ace Digital Brass Trim Kit - low cost rifle brass trimming for D650 and SS presses

Offline Spad124

Re: Milsurp rifles - What's your favorite?
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2019, 11:14:46 PM »
I have three milsurps that I consider favorites: a HRA Garand, an Eddystone M1917 (Enfield), and a Yugo SKS. The Garand is a favorite, well, because it’s a Garand. One of the last ones built with its original barrel. Throat and muzzle wear are still at 1. It’s a CMP that an acquaintance wanted to sell to fund another CMP purchase. It’s a great Service Grade shooter as you might expect. 

The M1917 Eddystone is a favorite because I found it in a GS in a very nice sporter stock, but none of the metal had been sporterized. The barrel was still full length with front sight and no one had drilled the receiver for a scope.  My son and I looked for stocks but prices were more than I paid for the rifle!  We wound up buying and fitting a Boyd’s walnut replacement stock. It’s kind of specia as a father and son project. 

The Yugo SKS is just plain fun to shoot. With all the extras the Yugoslavs hung on the rifle it weighs as much as the Garand-about 9 pounds.  With that weight the recoil is pretty gentle.  You can just shoot it all day long.  Plus it is most accurate with the cheap steel cased ammo.

anything