Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Uggly  (Read 655 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
The Good, the Bad & the Uggly
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
I've had a number of medical issues pop up suddenly in the last few months that has preventing any  shooting...the BAD ..
I shot a little last Tuesday and didn't do too bad shooting my faux "plates" for an hour or so.
  I tried again this morning and had the pistol range to myself.  I set up my plates and a USPSA target at varying distances from 9 to 12 yards. 
  Without rushing, I shot through my target array and was about 4" right on EVERY shot .  I looked at my 75 Shadow rear sight and sure enough it had moved about one slide top Ridge to the right. :(
I loosened the rear hex screw a little a tapped the sight back close to centered on the slide. It would hit close enough to a shotgun hull at 27 yards to bump it a little or a LOT a couple of times.  "Good" to go.
  I ran my targets a few times from different directions and target orders and then the slide jammed.   >:(
I took a look and yes,  the slide release had broken.  The right half of the rod was still wedged in..."UGLY".  I popped the broken piece of rod out,  installed my spare and tried again.  The pistol was good again.
  By this time,  I was getting pooped and wondering what else could go wrong,  so I decided to pick up my brass and target stands and head home.
  Tired and needing to order another spare slide stop still left room  for a smile for my range therapy day.
I also promised myself to clean my pistol before the next trip out . I can't really remember when I cleaned it last.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: The Good, the Bad & the Uggly
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about the medical issues, hope you feel better.

Glad you got out, even with the issues... how many rounds into the slide stop we’re you?
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
Don't let the rain keep you from seeing the sun!

I'd say it was a good day over all.

You went shooting.

You didn't do too bad due to the lack of practice and recovering from surgery (hitting/bouncing shotgun hulls at 27 yds. is nothing to sneeze at.)

You quickly and correctly identified your rear sight issue and corrected it just as quickly.

You had a spare part for something you know breaks sometimes.  You were prepared.

Like I said, a good day all in all.

Don't forget to order that spare slide stop.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »
any day I go to the range and can come home and write about it is a good day is a good day in my book.

Any day I'm shooting and my gun stops working and I can fix it from my bag is a good day.

Any day I have the range to myself...…..great day!!!!!!!

When I'm tired and think what else can go wrong I remember I'm not as young as I used to be and I take a nap.

Your day made me jealous!!!!!

RCG
........Its that you shoot!

Offline sparkyv

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
I did not know that the Shadow's slide stop is known to fail.  Yikes!
Μολὼν λαβέ
NRA Life Member

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »
I did not know that the Shadow's slide stop is known to fail.  Yikes!
;D ;D. After a number of rounds  depending on your ammo vs recoil spring strengths,  the Shadow slide stop will break.  My 75 Shadow slide stop will definitely break just a hair past half way across the pin after 20-30k  RDS.  My Shadow slide stop tends to last a little longer than my 75b slide stop.

Cost per round fired is pretty low. ;) ;D

Offline vwpieces

• Bang, Bang, Bang
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
Wanted to say congrats on the 15K posts a while ago but think a congrats on getting back out on the range is more appropriate.
Sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced, hope things get a lot better for ya.

Sent from my device
Sorry, had to remove the list of firearms due to server overload. I hope you now have a more pleasant experience on this forum.

"Hey, do you want to try my Glock?"
No thank you. Want to try my CZ P-01?
"Hell Yeah, DoooD, thats sweet"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:21:52 PM »
Glad to hear your getting better. That is actually the first time I had heard of the slide stop breaking, never had that happen on any of mine, just heard anecdotally.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
Thanks guys for the positive vibes.
I haven't shot since that last time above,  but I'll be back within a couple weeks or so.

Speaking of good news: I had a cancer found during a routine check-up,  and a surgery was scheduled.  Scans done in the surgery prep. detected an unsuspected lung cancer.  Sheesh!  One lung lobe removal and half of the Colon plus the appendix removal .
The lung  surgery took precedence,  so that came first.  55 years of pack-a-day smoking jussst might have contributed to that problem.The Colon surgery followed a month or two later...still getting those stomach muscles healed up now.

Anyway, every test and scan  known to man has been taken,  and I'm declared "Cancer Free."

I shall return...to shooting regularly before long.  My pistols Really  need cleaning,  but I bet they'll run smoothly as is......lubed with Mobil One. ;)

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »
The 2 best words I know when strung together are

Cancer Free

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RCG
........Its that you shoot!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »
That’s great to hear, congrats!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »
Congratulations on being cancer free! I agree, anytime you have a malfunction at the range and are lucky enough to fix it on spot makes for a good day!
I been wanting to thank you for the tip on using Mobil 1 for gun lube. It's the best thing I've used!
Thanks again and get healed up quick! There's a a lot of shooting to do ;)

Online painter

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
Just saw this Don.

Glad to see you're out and about at the range.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »
Thanks painter.  My wife would say AMEN!! to my "getting out" and  going to the range.   ;)

Online painter

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:10:34 PM »
Thanks painter.  My wife would say AMEN!! to my "getting out" and  going to the range.   ;)
Yeah...well getting old isn't for sissys.

It's a privilege to have these health issues. ;)
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

anything