Author Topic: Illegal alien?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Caspian

Illegal alien?
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
Been a 1911 man since my grandfather let me shoot his .45 at 12 yrs old. (55 now) Been building my own 1911s since the late 80s. But I have also been very interested in the CZ75 platform for about ten years. Especially the Single action models. But I always seemed to have other priorities and never got around to actually obtaining one. 'Til now.

Last Friday I was in my favorite LGS & indoor range. I was actually looking to trade a Kimber 10mm, that I wasn't happy with, for something I liked better. But I can get really picky at times and I wasn't finding anything I really wanted. Then I moved a stack of flyers on top of the CZ cabinet and there it was. A Tactical Sport. It was used but in excellent shape. Two things I wasn't thrilled with. It was .40 S&W and someone had done a trigger job on it and totally pooched it. But we worked out a deal and for a Kimber and $350, I took it home.

So now I have some work to do. Looking at converting it to 9mm, swapping sights and grips, and fixing that horrible trigger. So, here I am doing my best sponge imitation to try and learn as much about the CZ75 as I know about the 1911. Got a lot of reading to do.
You may know a thing that is not true. But in understanding that thing, there can be ONLY truth. To reach that understanding and find the truth, you will need contrast, not adherence to a single idea. You'll find the truth in the contrast.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: Illegal alien?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:50:47 PM »
Welcome!!

I had a Tactical Sport for a bit and it was incredible! I saw your post with the question and I?ll see if I can try and answer there. I?m sure guys with a TS will chime in sooner. It is the same action with a few nuances.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Rickytick

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:26:23 PM »
Hi from Oklahoma.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:34:55 AM »
The magazines are crazy expensive.

If you have .40 S&W magazines you got with the pistol you'll want to buy 9MM magazines.

People say you can go from .40 S&W to 9MM (but not from 9MM to .40 S&W) just by changing the barrel.

What did they do to the trigger?  I'm not sure why anyone would mess with a Tactical Sport trigger.  Mine was a used .40 S&W and the trigger pull is 1&3/4 lbs.  Scary light.  The only pistol I've got where I actually need to do a little dry firing at the range prior to shooting it, so I can get my finger (and my mind) used to the trigger pull.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline czsuby

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »
Welcome from South Carolina.

Offline Caspian

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »
The magazines are crazy expensive.

If you have .40 S&W magazines you got with the pistol you'll want to buy 9MM magazines.

People say you can go from .40 S&W to 9MM (but not from 9MM to .40 S&W) just by changing the barrel.

What did they do to the trigger?  I'm not sure why anyone would mess with a Tactical Sport trigger.  Mine was a used .40 S&W and the trigger pull is 1&3/4 lbs.  Scary light.  The only pistol I've got where I actually need to do a little dry firing at the range prior to shooting it, so I can get my finger (and my mind) used to the trigger pull.

The trigger IS scary light. Has a ridiculous amount of take up and overtravel and I can barely even feel the trigger engage the sear. Nor can I feel any indication that the sear is about to release. Quite frankly it feels like squeezing a marshmallow. I've adjusted the overtravel down to zero. Adjusted the take up down to zero, but I still have 1/4" of travel that I can't even feel and a totally unpredictable sear release. Already ordering a new hammer and sear and a complete set of springs. So I'll see what it's like when I'm done.

As for the 9mm conversion, I'm ordering a complete upper and 4 mags for 9mm and I'll keep all the .40 stuff in a box.
You may know a thing that is not true. But in understanding that thing, there can be ONLY truth. To reach that understanding and find the truth, you will need contrast, not adherence to a single idea. You'll find the truth in the contrast.

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
Welcome from Florida.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline GTTom

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »
Welcome from NH!

Offline George16

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »
Welcome from Florida.

Congrats on your new Tactical Sports. I know what you mean by very light trigger. I have a TSO and I didn?t have to do anything on the trigger out of the box. I?m perplexed as to why the original owner have to do such a horrible job on the trigger.

Anyway, you can fix the trigger by installing a new competition hammer and hard fitting a new sear because the previous owner probably polished too much the hammer and sear hooks. You can also install a Tanfoglio sear spring if you want to increase the trigger pull weight.

P. S.
If you want to get rid of your .40 TS top end, pm me your price. I?m very interested. Thanks.

Offline Caspian

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
I have a sneaky suspicion the original owner swapped the hammer, sear and trigger for better ones then decided to sell it and threw the original parts back in with the adjustment screws backed out. Or they tried to adjust the trigger, went the wrong way, got frustrated and dumped the gun. And now he's one of the few people saying CZs have crappy triggers. :P

I'm ordering the hammer/sear set from Cajun. Hoping the adjustable sear will give me close to what I want until I understand the lockwork geometry a little better.

Thanks for the offer on the parts. If I decide to dump them I'll let you know. But since CZ stamps serial numbers on everything, if I ever sell the gun, it will lose a lot of value without the matching number parts. And might gain quite a bit by having both uppers and all the mags for each.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »
I don't think the adjustable sear is designed for adjusting trigger pull.  I think the idea is to give you (or anyone installing a new hammer) the ability to quickly insure reliable operation of the manual safety.

The adjustment screw on the adjustable sear works to insure the safety blocks movement of the sear.  It's neat and worked well for me on the two I've used.  Not using the adjustable sear on a hammer install can result in lots of stoning/filing/fitting time and effort on the safety cam to insure the safety does block the sear movement correctly.  I did it once.  From now on I'm buying CGW's adjustable sear.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »
Hello and welcome from Houston!

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
Hello and welcome from Nebraska.

anything