Author Topic: The worst combination of TSO features - Beware what you buy  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Underwhere

The worst combination of TSO features - Beware what you buy
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:23:30 PM »
Just be aware this is somewhat of a dramatic post. :)

I picked up my TSO (91261) today that I purchased through GrabAGun.
I was very excited. Since I purchased online I wasn't able to handle the gun.

I didn't know whether it was a pre-2019 model or a 2019 model. My expectations were either that:

2018 model:
  • Bad - Plastic trigger (eh. somewhat bad. Maybe I'll replace with a metal one)
  • Bad - Mild extended safety on both sides (I'd need to replace this with the S2 or CZC)
  • Bad - Mild mag release (I'd need to replace this with the S2)
  • Saving grace - Thin trigger guard

Or

2019 model:
  • Good - Metal trigger (save me $40 bucks)
  • Good - S2 safety (save me $88 bucks)
  • Good - S2 mag release (save me $35 bucks)
  • Bad - The standard 75 squared trigger guard (I think I could live with this if I received all the other good features)

What I actually received was some sort of mixed bag (transitional) model with ALL the bad features of both guns. 2018 date on the slide
  • Bad - Plastic trigger
  • Bad - Mild safety
  • Bad - Mild mag release
  • Bad - The standard 75 squared trigger guard

So just be aware if you are buying a TSO...as with many things CZ you never know what you're going to get. Some of my CZ's are definitely a mixed bag of parts. 

The trigger pull came in at 1# 5.8 ounces

Happy Halloween?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:37:49 PM by Underwhere »

Offline Underwhere

Re: The worst combination of TSO features - Beware what you buy
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »
And then I blended the magwell

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:13:54 AM by Underwhere »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »
Sorry you got the ?short stick?... with a few things it sounds like it will be fantastic though. Your blending looks good!

I got to hold a TSO a few months ago and it changed me. Literally, I felt my left hand grip change a little to get the gas peddle and something clicked. Now my left hand grips higher and my thumb sort of gets on top of the far end of the slide stop. It never alters function but I can notice the muzzle flip is reduced. So much so that after my last shooting outing I came back and checked my powder charge to see if it had fallen out of adjustment. NOPE!

That?s my long winded way of saying I am jealous, I wish it was practical to have a gas peddle on more pistols, and I hope you find great love with your TSO!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 01:13:16 AM »
Sorry you got the ?short stick?... with a few things it sounds like it will be fantastic though. Your blending looks good!

I got to hold a TSO a few months ago and it changed me. Literally, I felt my left hand grip change a little to get the gas peddle and something clicked. Now my left hand grips higher and my thumb sort of gets on top of the far end of the slide stop. It never alters function but I can notice the muzzle flip is reduced. So much so that after my last shooting outing I came back and checked my powder charge to see if it had fallen out of adjustment. NOPE!

That?s my long winded way of saying I am jealous, I wish it was practical to have a gas peddle on more pistols, and I hope you find great love with your TSO!
Already need to order new parts to compensate for the ones on the gun.

Larger gas pedal. Extended safety at a minimum.

Offline muncie21

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 01:21:13 AM »
OP- I understand where you're coming  from.  I'm in the market for a Czechmate and came across similar 'issues', in that there really isn't a 'standard' pistol configuration (for CM and perhaps TSOs) from CZ at the moment.  I've seen a lot of different combinations of checkering, trigger guard profile and barrels.  I'm holding out for a bit longer to see what changes the 2019 models will have.

As for your pistol, the plastic trigger and large mag release aren't the proverbial end of the world :)  I have both on my TSO and they feel/shoot very well.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 03:04:24 AM »
I don't understand why CZ does this?  This makes it very frustrating to source parts/accessories for their guns. 

It's like they have different amounts of leftover parts and they just consume them till gone.  My biggest grip with the new TSO is the trigger guard, why did they revert back to the original/standard design?

I was planning on replacing the stock trigger but have found that there is no need.  It performs really well.

Hey the magwell looks good.  How are you going to refinish the aluminum magwell?  I did the same to my TSO but I didn't touch the aluminum.  I just blued the steel frame.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 06:24:49 AM »
That trigger guard is disappointing, makes no sense to me. I was close to buying a TSO, but when I added up all the changes I needed to make I decided to go ahead and build myself a 2011. I hope your TSO turns out the way you want it, the magwell is a good start.

Offline 2tango2

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:32:12 AM »
Looks great!   That didn?t take long for you to jump on some modifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline inkw8ll

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »
How to you plan on refinishing the gun after blending?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

CZ TSO 9mm

Offline George16

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »
I can understand your frustration.

Nice blending one the mag well. What did you use to blend it?

I was actually hoping to get the old style trigger guard when I bought my czechmate so I don?t have to buy a new insert for my DAA race master holster but I got the new style trigger guard. I ended up buying another insert because DAA sells two different inserts.

Stojanovich

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
More like, "Trick or Treat!"  I don't think you're being dramatic at all.  You spent serious $ on a TSO and what you got was something that needed 'fixed' straight out of the box.  Not cool.     

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 09:14:36 AM »
Hey the magwell looks good.  How are you going to refinish the aluminum magwell?  I did the same to my TSO but I didn't touch the aluminum.  I just blued the steel frame.

How to you plan on refinishing the gun after blending?

Nice blending one the mag well. What did you use to blend it?

• To blend the magwell I taped off the gun, removed the grip panels and stuffed a towel inside the grip area to prevent metal from making into the hammer spring area and action.
  • I kept the magwell on the gun because I wanted the fitment to be as seamless as possible.
  • I used a Dremel 9904 carbide cutting tip to remove and flatten everything, trying to continue the angle of the magwell onto the frame
  • I used a variety of thin sanding drums to finish it off 150, 320, 600
  • Then I polished it with a buffing bit and some Mothers Mag polish

Note: Wear a mask and gloves and a long sleeve shirt. The tens if not hundreds of metal shavings will splinter and get into your skin. Ask me how I know.

I don't plan on refinishing the aluminum magwell portion. I don't see a point. It's going to get banged up every time I inserted a mag. After taking my pics I gouged it 3 or 4 times inserting mags in it for about 1 minute. The metal is soft.

As far as the steel is concerned....well I'm not really. I could blue it but I don't want to use a pen or some cold blue that doesn't really protect it. If anything I could rust blue the bottom of the frame. I don't know what boiling would do to the polycoat though. I may just leave it as-is.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:05:06 AM by Underwhere »

Offline Gducoing

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 01:25:03 AM »
1. Great job on the magwell blending.
2. Have you tried to fit an S2 mag release on the TSO frame? It tried on a TS and it came out way too short. Is there something I missed?
3. Still congrats on a sweet firearm. If you can't live with it put it up for sale I'm sure there is plenty of interest and that way you can fund the one you really want. Heck PM me. Haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Matt101

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 04:59:36 AM »
There?s nothing wrong with the gun or the parts. You may prefer different parts but that?s your choice.

Offline Matt101

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 05:02:03 AM »
1. Great job on the magwell blending.
2. Have you tried to fit an S2 mag release on the TSO frame? It tried on a TS and it came out way too short. Is there something I missed?
3. Still congrats on a sweet firearm. If you can't live with it put it up for sale I'm sure there is plenty of interest and that way you can fund the one you really want. Heck PM me. Haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The S2 safety fits the TS, TSO & CM. I think you may have forgotten to push the safety detent back when inserting it.

anything