Author Topic: Field stripping Rock Island 1911  (Read 1979 times)

Offline inletman

Field stripping Rock Island 1911
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
Just got a Rock Island 1911....field stripping it was a terrible experience...especially trying to put it back together.....in fact, I couldn't do it. Had to have a buddy come over and put it back together, and he had to use a video to do it.

Anyone experienced this...and does anyone have tips, especially helpful videos, or anything else helpful. thanks.

Offline mrcabinet

Re: Field stripping Rock Island 1911
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:02:28 PM »
Never had an issue with any of mine. They come apart and go back together like most 1911 do. Is this your first 1911?
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline George16

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 09:22:54 PM »
What kind of difficulties did you encounter? Was it the reinstallation of the sear springs?

Rock Island 1911 is pretty much like your typical 1911 unless it?s your first time doing it. Then it becomes overwhelming.

Offline inletman

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
Yes, this is my first time with a 1911

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
Does it have the firing pin block?

My first Series 80 Colt had that.  I sat down in the floor, started a complete disassembly (to clean it up, inspect it and lube it) and suddenly parts I've never seen before are falling out of it as I removed the sear pin.  Took me some fiddling/time to get it back together right and working correctly.

Never felt the need for that mess in a 1911 as I have no intention (or ability) to drop it on it's muzzle on a hard surface from 6 ft. off the ground.  I'm only 6 ft. tall and cannot shoot well with the pistol held above my head....

Anyway, I can understand issues with reassembly on a new platform.  Repetition is your friend here.  Do it enough and you'll be a pro at it.

Total tear down and cleaning isn't needed on a regular basis, for cleaning/lubing but it's a good thing to know how the parts go together and how they work.

So, how does it shoot?
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:09 AM »
You say you field stripped it, so I take it you didn't get all the way into the "guts" of the pistol. Just what exactly gave you the trouble? We can't help you unless you narrow it down for us. There's probably hundreds of people on this forum that can field strip and reassemble a 1911 with their eyes closed, so I'm sure it isn't anything we can't talk you through. I look back and laugh at the first few times I tried to reassemble a 1911, but that "Ah Ha" moment did happen, and it will for you too.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline tde44

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
I have an Ultra FS and field stripping - and even detail stripping (frame & slide) - is the same as any other 1911.  Mine does not have a firing pin block and the only difference to a regular stock 1911 vs mine is that it has an ambi safety.

If you provide the model info and where in the process you had problems I'm sure that many of us would be happy to provide some insight.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
I own one and have never had a problem, What exactly is causing you your grief?
It might just be a simple thing to fix.

I'd take it down and put it back together a few times just for the heck of it and next thing you know you will be the guy your friends will call.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:39 PM »
I also have a Rock Island 1911 and I found that getting the barrel bushing off to be a difficult proposition.  I've ruined one Dillon bushing tool on it.   My Colt Commander is a piece of cake in comparison.

Offline inletman

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Does it have the firing pin block?

My first Series 80 Colt had that.  I sat down in the floor, started a complete disassembly (to clean it up, inspect it and lube it) and suddenly parts I've never seen before are falling out of it as I removed the sear pin.  Took me some fiddling/time to get it back together right and working correctly.

Never felt the need for that mess in a 1911 as I have no intention (or ability) to drop it on it's muzzle on a hard surface from 6 ft. off the ground.  I'm only 6 ft. tall and cannot shoot well with the pistol held above my head....

Anyway, I can understand issues with reassembly on a new platform.  Repetition is your friend here.  Do it enough and you'll be a pro at it.

Total tear down and cleaning isn't needed on a regular basis, for cleaning/lubing but it's a good thing to know how the parts go together and how they work.

So, how does it shoot?

shoots great!

One newbie question- when putting back together - when I put barrel in, then the spring and guide rod....do the "little ears" on spring fit onto barrel lugs...or are just down position in front of the barrel?

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 10:29:49 PM »
Download this, it may prove handy.

https://armscor.com/images/uploads/A_-_Manual.pdf

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 07:12:10 AM »
Not sure about the "little ears" question.

On a Colt 1911 (SA, too):

The first thing removed for disassembly should be the recoil spring cap/plug.  You've got to turn the barrel bushing one way (don't remember if it's left/right to clear the plug and then ease the plug out of the slide from the front.

Then, after the pressure is off (spring is sticking out the front of the slide) line up the slide with the back end of the slide stop and push the slide stop out.

Then pull the slide/barrel/recoil spring/guide of the frame.

Then pull the guide rod/recoil spring out from the back side.

Then rotate the barrel bushing the other way and remove it.

Then remove the barrel.

Reverse all that to put it back together.

I've found it's easier, for me, to have the barrel link pushed forward after I put the recoil spring/guide back in place.  Then I keep the slide on it's side and put the frame back in the slide.  I look through the slide stop hole as I slowly push the frame/slide back into position.  I can see the spring guide push the link rearward as the slide/frame are pushed together and when the hole in the link has been pushed into alignment with the hole in the frame I insert the slide stop.

It can be a little tricky on some 1911's.  On some the slide stop will easily fully insert with a smack of your hand.  On some it absolutely will not.  I've got one that I have to use the tip of my knife blade to push the pin rearward into the (forgot the name of the housing on the left side of the frame that has a pin sticking out on front/back - with a spring inside - that keeps pressure on the safety and the slide stop) in order to get the slide stop to fully insert.  It's like the pin is so small it pops too far into the slide stop notch or the notch in the slide stop is too wide.  Don't know which but it has always required a knife tip (or very small screw driver blade).

Once I get the slide stop fully inserted through the barrel link and frame I insert the recoil spring cap/plug and turn the barrel bushing into place.

Guns can be like the older cars (are you old enough to have driven carbeurated cars?)  My 73 Laguna took one press of the gas pedal before turning the key to start it.  If I pressed the gas once and hit the key on the 81 Z28 it was flooded.  Both were Chevys, both had 350's, both had Rochester Quadrajets.  Both were different when it came to starting in the morning.

As you take it apart/clean/lube it you'll get any little things like that figured out.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?