Author Topic: Quick Questions From a New CZ Owner...  (Read 801 times)

Offline Randomuser404

Quick Questions From a New CZ Owner...
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:54:57 AM »
Hi all,

I've recently just purchased a P-07 (loved it so much that it's my first ever hammer gun) and then a couple days later bought the P10C. I'll try to keep this brief and really appreciate any and all input:

1) While shopping around for the P10 I originally noticed that the one at my usual LGS had an odd trigger. It would hit the wall, creep a little, then break. Now I'm sensitive to triggers but this is something I'm sure most would have caught. So I went to another LGS and the one in their store would hit the wall, and break like glass. I loved it. And ended up buying it. But my question is - what causes this bit if creep. I've dry fired mine probably 10 times total and feel like I'm *maybe* starting to have the same thing happen to mine. So what causes that little bit of creep and is there anything I can do to avoid having it happen to mine. This is a HUGE concern if mine. The first gun with the creep would annoy the hell out of me. To the point I don't know if I'd keep it. Compare that to thr way my gun is now, which is essentially the best striker fire trigger I've ever shot. This is my main concern/question.

2) I usually dry fire my striker guns a lot. Has had no I'll effect whatsoever on my XDM which must have been dry fired at least 500-1000 times by now. But I've heard (and just saw below in this forum) that dry firing is bad for CZs. Is this only true for hammers or for strikers too?

3) Are there any recommendations you guys would like to imoart on a new CZ fanboy? Seriously. Ive had these guns less than a week and they're quickly becoming my favorites

Thanks for the help guys!

Offline 10-96

Re: Quick Questions From a New CZ Owner...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 03:52:48 AM »
I don't know if I can offer any hard and fast answers to your questions, but I would like to toss this out there for your ponderances...

You haven't mentioned actually firing the pistols, and haven't eluded much to your shooting experience in general.  Now, something I have wondered over for a while is exactly 'what is being looked for' during the course of 500-1000 dry fires?  I'm really not trying to be a terd here, but with todays common types of handgun sport, the picture perfect trigger isn't even known of in the same regards as in the old days of NRA Conventional/Bullseye shooting.  With a typical duty/defensive or run-and-gun game type handgun, if you're doing your part, you won't notice that little "maybe" creep in there during live fire.  And speaking of live fire- 500 to 1000 dry fires just doesn't break the pistol in the same as the equal amount (or even half) the amount of live fire.  I don't think I'm a trigger snob, but I do enjoy nice ones.  I've also been working on firearms for close to 21 years now and tend to try to remain ever observant in learning causes and effects.  Not lumping you into a group here, but I think of the car enthusiasts in how they have tons of tuning and diagnostic equipment.   They'll spend every weekend in their driveways always wondering if they have a perfect tune on that '69 carbureted classic.  The thing may be better than when it left the factory, but eventually they'll find something wrong with it if they just manage to look long enough.  Personally, I think anything over 50-100 dry fires won't do much but pass the time on days too cold, too hot, or whatever to actually launch projectiles.  Go shoot and do good things.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »
Dry fire with a snap cap.

I'm a member on the XD Forum and just recently there was a thread on the striker retaining pin damage/condition after a 600 round training class (I think it was 600 rounds).  That turned into people offering various sources for pins that they had used and which pins were best/toughest and what was the best for toughness and cost.  So XD/XDM pistols (at least some of the) suffer from similar issues.

I mentioned that it was a topic of discussion over here, too.  A couple of the other members gave me "likes" or "interesting info" clicks (or whatever they are called).

Usually, with the CZ75/P07 pistols, people feel the triggers get smoother/lighter with use.  As the firing/dry firing wears in the contact surfaces between the moving parts movement gets smoother/easier.

Keep it lubed (lots of opinions about the best lube), dry fire with a snap cap, shoot it with good ammo.

I don't own a P10.  I have several other brands of striker fired guns and don't remember those having a deteriorating trigger pull like you describe.  I do have a S&W M&P 9 that (when brand new) fired on it's very first range trip and then fell into a failure to fire issue the very next day.  The issues with that one aren't related to what you describe.

As it is new, keeping it well lubed might help carry some of the small metal particles away from the contacting metal surfaces as it wears in.  That might make it smoother if the debris from wear in doesn't accumulate where it wears off.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »
The P-10 has a great trigger for a striker fired pistol but at the end of the day, it?s still just a striker fired pistol. You may have your expectations set a little too high. I would think it still exceeds what you are are experiencing with your XDM, no?  Also what are your intentions for this gun?  Is a little bit of creep really a problem?  As other have said, live  firing will definitely break it in. I?d be interested to see what you think after running a couple hundred rounds through it. Have fun on the journey!

Offline Randomuser404

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:28:21 PM »
I don't know if I can offer any hard and fast answers to your questions, but I would like to toss this out there for your ponderances...

You haven't mentioned actually firing the pistols, and haven't eluded much to your shooting experience in general.  Now, something I have wondered over for a while is exactly 'what is being looked for' during the course of 500-1000 dry fires?  I'm really not trying to be a terd here, but with todays common types of handgun sport, the picture perfect trigger isn't even known of in the same regards as in the old days of NRA Conventional/Bullseye shooting.  With a typical duty/defensive or run-and-gun game type handgun, if you're doing your part, you won't notice that little "maybe" creep in there during live fire.  And speaking of live fire- 500 to 1000 dry fires just doesn't break the pistol in the same as the equal amount (or even half) the amount of live fire.  I don't think I'm a trigger snob, but I do enjoy nice ones.  I've also been working on firearms for close to 21 years now and tend to try to remain ever observant in learning causes and effects.  Not lumping you into a group here, but I think of the car enthusiasts in how they have tons of tuning and diagnostic equipment.   They'll spend every weekend in their driveways always wondering if they have a perfect tune on that '69 carbureted classic.  The thing may be better than when it left the factory, but eventually they'll find something wrong with it if they just manage to look long enough.  Personally, I think anything over 50-100 dry fires won't do much but pass the time on days too cold, too hot, or whatever to actually launch projectiles.  Go shoot and do good things.

I guess I should have specified. I'm definitely not a "safe queen" owner. Over the last 15 years have probably fired somewhere in the range of 30,000 -50,000 rounds through my pistols. I just referred to the XDM because I've had him the longest. I haven't been to the range with the P10 yet because they are closed on Thursdays. I'll be going later today and will report back. But I'm still curious about my original concern.

What stood out (and worried) me about the CZ was the huge discrepancy between the 3 guns I tested. Both the FDE models I tested had the wall, the some creep, then the break. Thankfully my gun doesn't have this but I'm also positive that the FDEs were dry fired a ton. Regardless though, I've never encountered this with any other striker fired gun. Sure the triggers can vary a little bit from lot to lot and gun to gun but I've never notice such a dramatic difference. Again the FDE triggers were so bad that I would have returned the gun. But mine breaks better than any striker I've ever fired. Which is why I'm curious about what might cause this and what can or can't be done to prevent it.

Will I be using this pistol to shoot clays from 200 yards? No. But the trigger was so bad on those FDEs that it really would be a deal breaker for me. I've shot other strikers that had the creep after the wall and would never buy one because of that.

I know that the CZs have a break in period which should help with the gritty feel of the take up, the slide release and the may release. But what worries me is that I love my trigger 'as is' and don't see how a break in could make the trigger any better (minus the take up). I guess we'll see what happens after today.

I'm a very curious person though and I'm still interested in what could cause such a different feel between what should be an identical gun. For as much shooting as I've done I still not as technically proficient as I maybe should be. So I guess I'm just curious as to what specific parts of the gun might be different/wear to cause one gun to have creep and the next to break like glass.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:42:47 PM by Randomuser404 »

anything