Author Topic: 1911 Mag release/ mag catch problems  (Read 247 times)

Offline inletman

1911 Mag release/ mag catch problems
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:38:57 PM »
Just got full size Rock Island 1911.....shot it twice. Both times had same problem. After shooting maybe 2 mags, the mag would not seat in mag well- would fall out....or would not eject using mag release. Range  gun smith turned (using thin bladed screwdriver) mag catch clockwise, and that fixed it - for the time being. When I googled problem, one guy talked about removing mag catch and mag release- reinstalling??? I'm not up for that...and not sure if it would work. It did seem several on the site I got had experienced this.

Just to me,, it seems mag catch gets loose....maybe shooting live ammo shakes it loose?

Anyone had this problem...and ideas for fixing it?

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: 1911 Mag release/ mag catch problems
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »
Sounds like either the Lock or the Lock Spring is the issue
If your 1911 is new, I'd contact Rock Island and ask them to send you one of each and swap them out
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »
Yes if it is new it should absolutely go back to rock island or they should at least send you the parts to swap out. Please don't take this personally but if you are not mechanically inclined then the 1911 will be a very poor platform for you otherwise you will need to know a good gunsmith. Even in their most refined form the 1911 is very much like an old car with a carburetor and breaker point ignition. They run goog when they run but they like to be tuned and tweaked at regular intervals.

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »
Aren't you the same guy who field stripped his new Rock Island 1911 and couldn't get it back together again?

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=100179.msg773235#msg773235

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
Unload it (no round in the chamber, no magazine in it.

Turn it upside down and look down into the mag. well at the mag. catch.  Push it in, let it out and see how it moves.  Does it move freely?  Does it go all the way in when released and come all the way out when (meaning into the mag well where you can see it and out of sight when you push it to release a magazine) pushed?

You can also field strip it (just remove the slide, no need to take the slide apart), take the magazine apart, so you can see inside it, insert the magazine and see if the mag. catch lines up correctly to fit into the slot when you let up on the mag release button.

My cousin had a Rock Island double stack .45 several years ago that either had frame dimension issues or the magazines weren't made right.  You could insert a magazine, it seemed to lock in, shoot a round or two and the magazines would fall out on the ground.

We fixed it by disassembling the magazines and fitting them into the mag. well to find that was the issue and then we used small jeweler's files to open the top of the mag catch slot in the magazine up enough to allow the mag catch to fully move into position to hold the mags. in the frame.  May not be your issue but I've seen it that one time.

I only own (these days) Colt 1911's.  They run like a good watch.  Never broken a part.  Only issue I've had is the Series 70 would damage the case mouths.  Had a magazine fail 35 or 36 years ago.  Mine run on GI surplus magazines, Chip McCormick magazines, and who knows where they came from $3 gun store magazines (bought 35 years ago and are blued so I don't think they are GI).  I had a couple non Colt 1911's.   Had magazine issues with the Paraordinance and chamber issues with the SA.  Replaced the barrel on the SA (swelled chamber would split 2 or 3 cases from each magazine) and the magazine springs on the Paraordinance 14 round magazines.  No longer have either pistol.  But I'll keep my Colts a few more years before I give them to my sons.

Good luck with yours.  A good 1911 is a great pistol to have.

Oh yeah, did replace the worn out safety on the 1917 made Colt 1911 not long after I got it in 1978.  Almost forgot about that 101 year old Colt 1911.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline inletman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »
Aren't you the same guy who field stripped his new Rock Island 1911 and couldn't get it back together again?

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=100179.msg773235#msg773235

Yep, I'm afraid so...but that would have nothing to do with this problem...gun shoots great until the described problem occurs

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »
You seem to be having more than your share of problems with your 1911.  I hope you are able to get them resolved so you can really enjoy shooting your new gun.

Offline tde44

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
Just got full size Rock Island 1911.....shot it twice. Both times had same problem. After shooting maybe 2 mags, the mag would not seat in mag well- would fall out....or would not eject using mag release. Range  gun smith turned (using thin bladed screwdriver) mag catch clockwise, and that fixed it - for the time being. When I googled problem, one guy talked about removing mag catch and mag release- reinstalling??? I'm not up for that...and not sure if it would work. It did seem several on the site I got had experienced this.

Just to me,, it seems mag catch gets loose....maybe shooting live ammo shakes it loose?

Anyone had this problem...and ideas for fixing it?
Does it not fit in with the slide locked back or just with the slide forward?  If it is only with the slide forward then it could be the slide stop or the magazine.

anything