Author Topic: Why I shouldn't just stop to "have a quick look" at the gun store.  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Dr_Nimslow

Last month I went into our new Gander Outdoors store, just to pick up some cleaning stuff.  To my surprise, they had a large selection of guns, and very competitive prices.  I made the mistake of putting this SIG 365 in my hands.  It ended up coming home with me.  I just got the Gray Guns laser etched grip module this week, to dress it up a little.

I've never had any love for the SIG P320, and I wasn't sold on the "modular" concept, but after I shot the P365, and it shot very well, I started wondering about it's big brother.  So passing by the same store last week, I just stopped by for a minute to look around.  After playing with various P320's, this carry model in 9mm ended up headed for my house as well.

Figuring that since I now owned a "modular" gun, I needed to exploit that concept, somehow I have several different grip shells on the way, and one of their caliber X-Change kits.  A full size P320RX with the red dot is on the way as well.

I still think these guns are ugly as all get out, but they shoot great, and the ability to change configuration and calibers at will is pretty cool.

Last year I just stopped by another shop to have a look around, and my other SIG "pistol" followed me home.  I also ended up with a SIG suppressor to go with it that trip.  Hopefully I will be able to get the suppressor out of NFA jail in January or February, and I expect the Form 1, so I can SBR it should be back before Christmas.

Offline ssqman

Re: Why I shouldn't just stop to "have a quick look" at the gun store.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
That is a good looking grip on that P365.
No, Google is not my friend

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:53:18 PM »
It is VERY dangerous to "just going to look around for a bit"...many empty wallets happen that way.

Offline Dr_Nimslow

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 08:58:11 PM »
That is a good looking grip on that P365.

It's not quite as aggressively textured as I'd like, but it's better than the factory grip.  And I also think it looks good.

It is VERY dangerous to "just going to look around for a bit"...many empty wallets happen that way.

You got that right.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »
a week and a half ago, I made a quick trip to the local Gander Outdoors to look at ammo prices before heading over to the Woodman's market.

Saw an excellent condition Tanfoglio Witness Match in .45 ACP at a price I couldn't refuse. So I didn't. Should make its first range trip this Friday.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline timetofly

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:06:41 PM »

Not to mention divorce or two or three...  A buddy was given an ultimatum by his girlfriend after he spent his tax refund on "things".  "Take all of those "things" back to the gunshop, or I'm leaving".  He bought a new safe. 

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:35:31 AM »
I'll bet he misses her sometimes...

Offline Dr_Nimslow

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 05:39:01 AM »

Not to mention divorce or two or three...  A buddy was given an ultimatum by his girlfriend after he spent his tax refund on "things".  "Take all of those "things" back to the gunshop, or I'm leaving".  He bought a new safe.

Years ago when I was single, I had a gal I was dating give me a ultimatum to get rid of my guns.  I still have the guns.  Don't miss her.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 05:47:20 AM »
Some guns just need to be "rescued".

I have a Browning BDM, a pretty old Browning Auto 5, that Pre B CZ85, and a couple/three more that were in pretty bad shape and just needed to be torn down, cleaned up, lubed up, necessary maintenance done and shot a little bit.

I figured I needed to be the one to "step up" and get it done since it was obvious no one else was going to do it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline eastman

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 10:16:13 PM »
Some guns just need to be "rescued".

I have a Browning BDM, a pretty old Browning Auto 5, that Pre B CZ85, and a couple/three more that were in pretty bad shape and just needed to be torn down, cleaned up, lubed up, necessary maintenance done and shot a little bit.

I figured I needed to be the one to "step up" and get it done since it was obvious no one else was going to do it.

I saw a case full of orphans in need of rescue, but unfortunately could only save one.

When Gander Mountain went out of business, they moved the WI firearm inventory to the Kenosha store. I stopped in to check out the stock on my way back from a range a bit NW of there. They had a case of "Need Repair" firearms at very low prices. Since it was C&R eligible, I bought the Polish P-64 but couldn't buy the 8-10 CZ 83 .380 pistols in the case since I was still living South of the Cheddar Curtain at that time. A $100-120 CZ 83 would have been a great test subject for learning Rust Bluing.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline GTTom

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
“I just want to stop by for a look” is short hand for addiction  ;D. I will buy something when I use that phrase.

Offline dragon813gt

Why I shouldn't just stop to "have a quick look" at the gun store.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »
I’m usually fine when I look in person.  It’s GunBroker that kills me.  The LGS may have something I’m interested in.  GunBroker has exactly what I’ve been looking for.  In a lot of cases they’re hard to find and I’ve been looking for awhile.

Offline BG ARMORY

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 03:34:35 PM »
I wish i had that kind of budget to spend on guns.

Offline Dr_Nimslow

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
I wish i had that kind of budget to spend on guns.

It took me over 30 years of work to reach that point in my life.  I don't usually do stuff like this, but I had a couple of really good months, and was looking for something different.

The whole modular concept is kind of growing on me, I'm still not sure how it's going to work out in actual use, but it's pretty neat.

Buy one "gun"

And then you can swap out grip modules and slides at will.

To get everything from a 15 round compact,

To a 17 round full size with optics.

In 9mm, .40, .357SIG or .45.

Offline Dr_Nimslow

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 10:32:16 PM »
"Just having a look around" strikes again.