Author Topic: CZ 75 SP01 or SW MP9.  (Read 1016 times)

Offline anonymouscuban

Re: CZ 75 SP01 or SW MP9.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 12:52:02 AM »
And I might get an MP at a later point. My wife prefers striker/polymer, but she doesn't shoot much and this one is for me.
Funny. My wife preferred a Glock until she fired the SP-01. And then she basically confiscated it. Is why I bought a P-01. When we go shoot together, I shoot the P-01 and her the SP-01.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline kjphilippona

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »
I would say get the S&W! Made in the USA! Not impressed with the two CZ's I own P10C and 75 SP-01  :(

Offline MuzzleBlastMD

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »

The SP-01 is better as a shooter, has a smoother trigger and is steel, making follow up shots significantly better than any polymer pistol.

I just acquired my 4 CZ pistols this past summer.

No way would I choose an M&P over a CZ. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 09:48:47 PM »
I've got both and I'll keeps both. The CZ is great pistol and will keep it's re-sale value better. M&P is a good and reliable light weight pistol. It has a great grip, maybe just a bit better than the CZ, but I don't think the M&P will hold it's value as well as the CZ. The thing I like most about my CZ SP-01 Tactical compared to my M&P 9 is the decocker.
I'd buy the CZ first, then wait for a good deal on a used M&P. That's what I did ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:08:29 AM by wdbutcher »

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
I put a CZ 75 SP-01 in jail Friday (California has a 10 day waiting period).

Brand new CZ's sell for $100-200 less than M&P9 sell on the used market in California. I say for the price a new CZ in any configuration is the better bargain. Maybe if the M&P9s were selling under the cost of a CZ I might have decided differently. Don't think I would pay more than $550 for a used M&P.

For the price people are asking for an M&P in California, you could spend 10% more and get a CZ 75 Tactical Sport. That's a no brainer.

Offline viking499

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »

Brand new CZ's sell for $100-200 less than M&P9 sell on the used market in California. I say for the price a new CZ in any configuration is the better bargain. Maybe if the M&P9s were selling under the cost of a CZ I might have decided differently. Don't think I would pay more than $550 for a used M&P.

For the price people are asking for an M&P in California, you could spend 10% more and get a CZ 75 Tactical Sport. That's a no brainer.

Wow.  Around here, you can buy used M&P's for 30-50% less than a used CZ.

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 09:07:00 PM »

You definitely made the smart choice. It's hard to understand the price differences from one part of the country to the next. I bought my used CZ SP-01 Tactical for $525 and I bought my like new Gen 1 M&P 9 for $325.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:50:47 PM by wdbutcher »

Offline Ruber

CZ 75 SP01 or SW MP9.
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 09:12:41 PM »

You definitely made the smart choice. It's hard understand the price differences from one part of the country to the next. I bought my used CZ SP-01 Tactical for $525 and I bought my like new Gen 1 M&P 9 for $325.
Yep!  I had no takers trying to sell a SP01 for $500 here, wondered why until I saw a brand new one in a shop for $525....  can’t touch a new M&P for anywhere close to that.

CZ flooded the market here, I gave up on trying to get cash for it.

As for a comparison of the two, absolutely apples and oranges, though both are solid do everything guns.  The M&P’s fit me really well and shoot well for me, I’d have no problem carrying one. In my experience, they have been far more reliable out of the box.

But I do like steel guns and the only polymer guns I shoot now have hammers, so I must like those too.  But that is all just personal preference.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:03:39 AM by Ruber »

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »

You definitely made the smart choice. It's hard understand the price differences from one part of the country to the next. I bought my used CZ SP-01 Tactical for $525 and I bought my like new Gen 1 M&P 9 for $325.
Yep!  I had no takers trying to sell a SP01 for $500 here, wondered why until I saw a brand new one in a shop for $525....  can’t touch a new M&P for anywhere close to that.

CZ flooded the market here, I gave up on trying to get cash for it.

As for a comparison of the two, absolutely apples and oranges, though both are solid do everything guns.  The M&P’s fit me really well and shoot well for me, I’d have no problem carrying one. But I do like steel guns and the only polymer guns I shoot now have hammers, so I must like those too.  But that is all just personal preference.

Honestly, any gun that shots is preference enough for me. I'm really not that picky. I bought a Phoenix Arms PH25 on a whim for $100 and thinks its fantastic, after I disabled some of the safeties, lol.  (But it is fun to shoot, no recoil, very accurate, I can just fit all my fingers on the grip just barely, I like it anyway and don't plan on getting rid of it).  I think the problem is, even thought I would like to own one, the S&W MP9 is NOT a $700-$800 gun.

Funny, I didn't even notice it, seems like overnight CZ took over. (not complaining) easier to find than a Glock 19 now.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:44:40 PM by CaliforniaGunner »

Offline The Guardian

• CZ dreamin'... zzzzzzz..... don't wake me
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »
These are two totally different firearms.  It is like comparing oranges to apples.  One is all metal, hammer fired and DA/SA while the other is polymer, striker-fired and DA (since the trigger pull still actuates the pre-set striker and releases it).  Your preference will dictate which one you should buy.

My thoughts exactly when I was reading through the responses......owned both, liked both....don't have either anymore but not sure you have a bad option there  ;D
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  John Wayne as J.B Books in "The Shootist" 1976

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 05:28:30 AM »
You made the right choice.

I dug my M&P FS 9MM and my XDM 5.25" Competition model pistols out of the safe Friday and took them shooting.  I'd intended to grab the P09, too, but forgot it while loading everything else up to get out the door and back in time.

I shot the two plastic framed pistols with factory 9MM ammo (Win) and my reloads that shoot so well in my CZ 9MM pistols.  The groups were what I'd call "ugly."  The great shooting 9MM 115 grain hollow point load was developed after I'd started shooting CZs and I'd wondered what it might do in the plastic framed/striker fired pistols.  Didn't help them much.

The new (both were bought new and don't have a lot of rounds through either) M&P 9 and XDM 9 shoot groups comparable to the old worn out/abused Pre B CZ85 I bought 3 or 4 years ago.  On the paper, just not nearly as good as the brand new CZ's shoot (P09, P01, CZ75 Compact).

A very cool thing about CZ's is that even though you can get one that doesn't perform as well (group size) as most of them it's really easy to get aftermarket parts for them (as well as factory replacement parts) from CZ Custom, CZ USA and Cajun Gun Works.  These three offer a pretty wide selection of parts to modify your pistol if you go that route.  Other companies make a few parts but these guys sell just about everything.  When I was having failure to fire issues with the M&P 9MM I got really tired of the "out of stock" notes on parts and having to buy one part from one vendor and another part from another vendor.  Got the failure to fire issues figured out and fixed (two issues-two fixes) with some new/updated parts and some tweaking/adjustments but the groups still didn't compare to the CZ's I was buying by then.

A couple of years ago I took my oldest son and one of his friends shooting.  We took the M&P 9MM, an Urban Gray P01, a CZ75 Compact, a P09 in .40 S&W, a Para Ordinance P14 in .45 acp, an XDM 3.8" 9MM and maybe one or two other pistols I don't remember right now.  After working through (shooting them) all the pistols at 8 to 10 yds. they went out and ordered CZ75 Compacts in 9MM.  Neither needed a rail (P01) or wanted a full sized pistol (P09/P14) and the CZ75 Compact and P01 just shot such better groups for them than the M&P or XDM pistols that's what they ordered a couple weeks later.  They'd gotten their concealed carry permits and wanted something they could carry concealed, too.

Good luck with your new CZ.

Oh, extra magazines - Greg Cote, LLC usually has good prices on the Mecgar magazines for your pistol and usually has them in stock, too.  Mecgar makes the CZ magazines.  The differences is if they say CZ on them they cost about $10 more than if they say Mecgar on them.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
I took my SP-01 out to the range Sunday and I can easily shoot it better than my M&P 9. My SP-01 is a high quality firearm. My M&P 9 is a good light weight firearm. They are both as dependable as you can get, but there is no comparison in the fit and clearances. If you compare them side by side you can really see the difference.
I'm sure I could say the same thing if I compared a S&W M&P 9 and a S&W 1911. They are two completely different pistols.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:07:09 PM by wdbutcher »

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
They are two completely different pistols.

Reading this makes me think you missed the point. So you believe I didn't understand the differences of the guns but I couldn't decide between the 2 because they were so different. Notice I didn't say "can't decide between an MP9 or P-10".

I like plastic guns, I love my little Shield, and I like metal framed guns, I love my CZ 97B and have shot 1911s enough to know I will buy one some day.  Striker or hammer, doesn't matter to me, both good options if implemented well. 

These were 2 guns I liked and there differences were the reason I couldn't decide. It would be like needing a long gun for home defense and choosing between an AR15 or a Shotgun. Both are good tools and approach the problem in different ways.

But I'm glad I went with the CZ.  Picked it up last Monday. Still need to get it to the range. There are some features I like that I didn't know came on the SP01. Tritium Nighty sights, extended slide catch, match grade barrel. All for only $60 more than the 75B.

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
I have a CZ SP-01, a CZ P-07, a S&W 9 and a Shield. I've had a CZ 75B and a CZ P-09. I've had a Ruger SR 1911 and GP100. I've also had several Caniks. I like plastic guns, steel framed guns, and revolvers. I like 'em all and I would  have kept them all if I had the money ;)

Online RSR

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 04:27:39 PM »
CZ75 SP-01 Phantom w/ the polymer frame is probably closest to the M&P in the CZ line, excluding the P (polymer) series of guns. 

There are many reports of the M&P series failing on the reliability front and being withdrawn from LE depart-wide issue.  For instance: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/texas-dps-ditches-sw-mp-handguns-reliability-issues-returns-sig-sauer/

I'd say go w/ a P01 or SP01 Omega -- that way you can decide between decocker and safety, or even swap between them for competition and carry.  And if you're going to carry the gun, get a P-01.  Main benefit of longer slides in 9mm is on the accuracy front due to longer sight radius, not ballistics...