Author Topic: Tier 1 Holster for the RAMI  (Read 1026 times)

Offline RoninCJN

Tier 1 Holster for the RAMI
« on: October 28, 2018, 01:48:25 AM »
About a month ago I started my search for and appendix rig style holster.

I had a few must have features:
1) Kydex
2) mag carrier connected to the holster (preferably flexible but wasn’t a deal breaker)
3) Concealment claw
4) Two clip system, to have a consistent purchase on the firearm
5) I really wanted a proven design for function and comfort (t-Rex, tier 1, etc)

Now as all of us RAMI owners are aware the selection isn’t exactly vast. And when you start wanting specific features it really narrows your options. I bounced around the web and found some decent holster that seemed to fit most of my but not all my checklist. I had been looking at a Tier 1 Axis Slim for quite some time for my G19. I was really impressed with the reviews and recommendations from multiple quality product testers. I read thru T1s FAQ and came a cross the question of: “Q: Do you guys make a holster for ( insert gun model here )?” the answer was, and I paraphrase, No we only offer the models listed currently. But we are open to suggesting on future models, please send an email with your suggestion. And that’s what I did. The next day I had a response asking which holster model I would like for the CZ Rami and that they would be happy to make it for me. They told me it would probably be made in the “old way” or foam pressed formed Kydex instead of the vacuum forming method. I figured what the hell, this holster is what I really wanted, it fit all my criteria.

BOOM 14 business days later and here it is (pics were huge so I provided the links instead):
https://i.imgur.com/RsUouoM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zlpfobm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xgnU8Et.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JXrewcp.jpg

After inspecting the holster I determined there is no way the was foam pressed formed. The lines are just too defined and clean.

Quality/finish - really impressed with the clean lines from the vacuum forming. Some of the edges seem like they could of been smoothed out just a touch more, but nothing serious.

Retention - nice positive click on the firearm, not as much on the mag. Neither of them are going anywhere though.

Comfort - at first glance it seems rather comfortable, but I will need some time to determine the true comfort level. I do a lot of driving, walking, bending at the waist, and getting up and down off produce harvest machines in my daily routine. This holster will be pushed to the limit, I will report back when I have some significant time logged.

Concealment - my build for reference: 6’1, 200lbs, and not supporting huge or even moderately sized pectorals. So my shirt isn’t creating that nice draping effect that some guys are capable of. That being said my wife had no idea I was concealing under my semi-snug t-shirt when she came home today. If you need to tuck your shirt in you may want to look else where. But anything short of that should do the job. Button down, hoodie, t-shirt, polo (untucked) all performed well with little to no obvious printing (CA takes printing very serious).

I will be modifying the mag base plate. The back edge/corners are pretty sharp and really create some discomfort on my abdomen. And secondly I may add a foam/rubber wedge to the backside of the holster. I feel like this will provide more comfort and concealment.   

I’ll provided updates and some more pictures periodically. If there are any questions please feel free to ask.

Offline Phlyers13

Re: Tier 1 Holster for the RAMI
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 07:25:49 AM »
Thanks for the excellent write up Ronin!  I look forward to hearing more feedback after you wear this around for a few days. It sounds like we have almost identical builds too so I appreciate all the time you have spent filling us in on this endeavor.

Offline aribus

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I’ve been eyeing the same rig for my Rami but was disappointed the option wasn’t there. It’s nice to know they are willing to accommodate the special request. Please keep the info coming as you use it. It’s really helpful, at least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RoninCJN

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 12:58:03 AM »
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I’ve been eyeing the same rig for my Rami but was disappointed the option wasn’t there. It’s nice to know they are willing to accommodate the special request. Please keep the info coming as you use it. It’s really helpful, at least for me.

I’m glad I could help. Personally I feel like there isn’t extensive research on how holster perform during daily task. I haven’t done much in the past 24hrs, but so far I’m happy. I have a small child, less than a year and spent a lot of time bending over to pick him up or play on the ground. Of course the firearm digs into the abdomen, that is unavoidable, it’s just something to get used to. Went on a 45 min walk around the neighboorhood with no issues. Pretty much forgot it was even there. I wore a button down plaid untucked. I have udjusted my belt buckle outside the first pant loop on the left so I wouldn’t be sporting a mean fupa. It looks a little weird but a shirt cover it with out issue.

I also slid my slim (1/3”) leather wallet between the muzzle area of the holster and my body. Man did it make a difference. Concealment wise it definetly tucked the pistol and mag closer to my body. It also relieved some discomfort in the lower abdominal/high pubic area. I purchased some velcro and plan on placing some type of material as wedge.

Thanks for the excellent write up Ronin!  I look forward to hearing more feedback after you wear this around for a few days. It sounds like we have almost identical builds too so I appreciate all the time you have spent filling us in on this endeavor.

I’ll continue to report my experience with this holster over the next few weeks/months. I really want to provide good feedback for other individuals who might be looking into purchasing this holster. It’s isnt exactly cheap (ran me $130 with a 10% discount). But if I’m being completely honest I’m staring to design one for my G19 w/ TLR7 just Incase a Black Friday sales comes along.

PS sorry for any misspellings or grammatical errors. Doing this on a phone isn’t exactly ideal.

Offline RoninCJN

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »
Well after alittle more time spent using the holster I have an update.

Retention - no complaints here, I bend over, get open and down of machinery, and in and out of my truck with zero concern if the firearm or mag is going to fall onto the floor.

Comfort - not going to lie there have been times when it has been a bit uncomfortable, but not unbearable.
I work in agriculture and drive at least 100-150+ miles a day getting in and out of the truck dozens upon dozens of times a day. Not to mention bending at the waste for cutting and inspecting produce. Like I mentioned in my first post the rear edge of the mag base plate is pretty sharp. This can create some discomfort when bending at the waist. The RAMI itself is noticeable when doing this but not uncomfortable.
Adjusting for comfort when sitting is not all that difficult or noticeable. Depending on your build, it can be down with a simple movement of the abdominal muscles and pushing the gun up with the pelvis. I generally readjust it back down lower when I get out of the truck, but I don’t think it looks anything more than a simple pant/belt adjustment. I’m going to adjust the belts clips to the highest holes to get the lowest possible ride height so I can perhaps avoid having to push it down so much. BUT walking around normally durning my days off this holster has been very comfortable.

One last note on comfort, and this might be a little T.M.I... Using the restroom is a topic that may come up when using an appendix rig holster. My experience with this particular  holster has proven pretty straight forward. Just make sure you can access your uh business via zipper and boxer/brief opening and shouldn’t be an issue. As far as the 2nd part of the 2 part series of the male restroom experience, it’s easiest to just remove the holster entirely.

Concealment - I’ve had the chance to wear this holster with most of my shirts and pants. One thing I’m defiantly going to look into is a different belt. I have a gun belt that I bought in combo with my aliengear holster a couple years back. But it buckle area is just to bulky and protrude to much when I have the gun/holster in place. The belt itself is t overly thick but when it gets overlapped it becomes an issue. I have dealt with it by putting the belt buckle off center to 10-11 o’clock. Sorry for the tangent, back to concealment. I have zero problem concealing under an untucked button down, no surprise there. I have successfully worn it with all of my T-shirt’s with our issue. But, I probably wouldn’t to wear it with a T-shirt at work. Depending on the color and thickness of the T-shirt used, wind can be an issue. A head wind can definitely expose the fact you may be hiding something under there...

Overall I’m am very happy with the holster. I carried 4 o’clock and always worried about printing when bending down or my shirt getting pinned between my body and the grip of the gun. I no longer have those concerns. Obviously carrying appendix isn’t for everybody and in all honesty I very conscious of the fact, especially when seated, that the muzzle of the gun is firmly pressed up against something I (nor my wife) would prefer I not lose. 

If anyone has a specific question that I have not addressed or not made clear I will be more than happy to try and clarify. I will probably update this thread again at some point.

Has anyone attempted to contact tier 1 to make one for their own RAMI?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:11:16 PM by RoninCJN »

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 06:37:05 AM »
Awesome update Ronin!  Thank you so much for taking the time. I will definitely be reaching out to them.

Offline Ulydriver

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »
I contacted Tier one a couple of months ago, and was told to select CZ 01 option and to put in the comments that it is for a Rami.   I have a Axes slim for my 07.   Works great.   One thing I have found out is a good belt can make the world of difference.    I currently am using a Kore Essentials track gun belt.   I really love the convenience.  When I carry AIWB I keep the buckle at my 10 or 11 o’clock position (I’m right handed) to keep the buckle out of the way.  And I have a RGB belt coming.  It’s the leather version of a ratchet belt and I believe the original.   One more thing I have found while wearing AIWB is to add a dr scholls gel heel cup with velcro (soft piece on holster) to the holster.   I just got a full shoe insert so I can add pieces to other hot spots on the holster.   I also have a JM Cusyom Kydex for my 07.  It has a foam wedge on it applied wth Velcro too.   A definite game changer.   So now I’m experimenting between the two.   

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »
Nice detail.

It was just a cheapie at the time and forget for which gun it was, but I quickly retired an IWB Desantes with integral spare mag holder that I experimented with.  Later, I tried a comptac wide IWB for a Keltec PF9.  Even that super light weight pistol in a relatively wide (spread the weight concept) holster was uncomfortable.  I found that the single clip IWB style was much more suited to me, didnt move around at all but was easier to slip on/off when going into criminal safe zones.  I've since abandoned IWB completely and also the Keltec that didn't like my favorite HST 147gr. I packaged up the comptac with the Keltec, singe my LGS was interested in both.  The same holster supposedly was compatible with 1911, but no way I could even imagine carrying IWB a full size gun anymore.

Invariably, we all end up with that drawer of holsters (in my case a box now in the attic) in search of the perfect mate).