Author Topic: Connecting the sear pin to the frame on a decocker  (Read 332 times)

Offline Indy_Tim

Connecting the sear pin to the frame on a decocker
« on: October 30, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »
Of the CZs I own, the best triggers seem to always come from the decocker models (except for 1) and I wonder if it?s because the sear pin passes through the frame to positively lock the interface between the sear and the hammer in a very consistent position.

Two questions:  Why did CZ do this on the decockers?  Was it because they wanted to be sure that the sear and hammer interface would not change over time given that the sear only engages one hammer hook in a decocker? 

2nd question:  Has anyone thought of doing the same with a safety equipped version to give a better trigger feel as the round count climbs?  This would be especially handy on an early pre-B that has a lot of sear cage slop which impacts the trigger feel.  If the sear could be pinned to the frame similar to how it?s done on the decocker or how 1911s maintain a sear/hammer position.  I imagine that the SA on a pre-B with the big, wide sear could really give a 1911 a run for it?s money.  Retention of the pin would be tricky without a lot of expensive machine work.

Offline Tok36

Re: Connecting the sear pin to the frame on a decocker
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »
It is an interesting subject. Your assumption about the design motivation behind the CZ75 decockers seams reasonable to me. I am unaware of a more solid answer. From my observations a decockers sear age is clearly more stable than a safety models but it can still move a bit. I had though that the difference in the trigger feel of the decockers was due to the single hammer hook more so than the sear cage stability but i am not totally firm on the matter. Another question to me is why the safety models use a floating sear cage in the first place. As in is there any asset to the design and are there any down sides to stabilizing the sear cage past a point.

A CZ75 variant safety models sear cage can be stabilized to some degree. One option is to fabricate a replacement #13 pin (Hammer Pin Retaining Peg/Pin), i have some experience with this one, ill link a post about it from a while back. Another option is to shim the side of the sear cage, i have not attempted this option myself but i have heard of others completing this modification with positive results.

Loose Sear Cage Fix - CZ 75 Variant Safety Models

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85892.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:19:24 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Indy_Tim

Re: Connecting the sear pin to the frame on a decocker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
Thanks for the links Tok.  I remember the thread on shimming the cages.  I wonder how expensive it would be to mill a pre-B frame for a decocker sear pin setup with the retainer groove.  It would be a permanent mod, but would also breath new life into a tired frame.