Author Topic: A batch of CZ-83 surplus guns available from $259!  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Vinny

A batch of CZ-83 surplus guns available from $259!
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:22:25 PM »
Heads Up!
Centerfire Systems has just offered a bunch of graded CZ-83's from $259:

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/s-52-cz-83-handguns.aspx#Pg0|
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Blackwatch

Re: A batch of CZ-83 surplus guns available from $259!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Vinny!

Offline sberres

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:57:39 PM »
  I?ve been hoping one of the surplus carriers would come up with a batch for these at ~$300?ish or below. The last time I?d seen a batch they were just too rich to hold my interest. There have been 82?s around at tolerable prices but I?ve not wanted to get into 9x18 so I?ve been holding out for an 83.
  I just ran across these from Centerfire last week and thought the $259 ones just looked too rough for even a project gun so I upped the budget a bit and went in for one of the VG grades. It just arrived today and was really dirty but seems pretty decent otherwise. The bore looks great and the finish isn?t really scarred up, just a little greyed with a little muzzle wear. I only just got it cleaned up and haven?t had a chance to fire it yet. Hopefully it shoots as decent as it looks. I?ll run a few through it this weekend and see what happens.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:35:49 AM »
I haven't seen these particular guns, but I am headed there now.  I regret NOT picking one of these up "back in the day."
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 05:44:37 AM »
  I?ve been hoping one of the surplus carriers would come up with a batch for these at ~$300?ish or below. The last time I?d seen a batch they were just too rich to hold my interest. There have been 82?s around at tolerable prices but I?ve not wanted to get into 9x18 so I?ve been holding out for an 83.
  I just ran across these from Centerfire last week and thought the $259 ones just looked too rough for even a project gun so I upped the budget a bit and went in for one of the VG grades. It just arrived today and was really dirty but seems pretty decent otherwise. The bore looks great and the finish isn?t really scarred up, just a little greyed with a little muzzle wear. I only just got it cleaned up and haven?t had a chance to fire it yet. Hopefully it shoots as decent as it looks. I?ll run a few through it this weekend and see what happens.

I agree; their definition of "good" is pretty rough.  One nice part of the 83/blued side of the spectrum (vs. 82/Mak) is that you can actually do something about it.  The military enamel finish and 9x18 barrel would take more money to "fix" than the pistol costs...
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline MG-70

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
Agreed, from the pics, those are rough-looking.  I prefer that rounded trigger guard, though, as opposed to the squared off ones.  I was lucky to pick up one of these years ago, for a higher price, but in truly VG-Ex condition.  It's one of the few .380s I didn't get rid of.

Offline sberres

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
  I really like this gun!  I gave it just a basic cleaning prior to taking it to the range and I could see that there were a few areas with some tool rust that were in some of the deeper recesses.  After some lubrication and cycling this was more obvious as some of this rust was dislodged into new lubricant.
  It really ran pretty well.  The neither the mag it came with or the one I ordered to go with it were original CZ but rather the cheap ones that so many have been noting recently.  Had a few nose up feeding issues but nothing too exciting. 
  The grip really fills the hand well, as is so typical of CZ products in general, and the weight of the all steel frame makes this very comfortable to shoot.  It was certainly accurate enough and with the fit and firing characteristics it is very enjoyable.
  Now able to see how much rust has been loosened up, the post shoot cleaning was a full detail strip.  I'd already checked out the video from AshburnArmorer and it does a super job of explaining parts functions and interactions.  His references were invaluable to reassembly of it all but especially of the sear and spring assembly.   
  All in all the interior was pretty grimy, which isn't exactly unexpected from any surplus gun.  Getting the rust scrubbed out and fresh lubrication everywhere has really smoothed everything out.  I ordered a recoil spring from Wolff and have gotten it changed along with the included FP spring.  They didn't offer extractor springs but I'll leave that alone for now.  I've previously seen that a worn recoil spring will hinder good extraction or reliable feeding so we'll see what happens next time out.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Czechbikr

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »
I bought one of the "good" ones and they showed out of stock shortly afterward.  I also ordered two additional magazines to ride with the package.  I was leery of the expected condition after looking more closely at the photo of the good grade on the site and was actually surprised when I picked it up at my FFL.  Plenty of holster wear, but no corrosion.  Got it home and field stripped it for cleaning, then off to the range.  I was getting nose up FTF every magazine, maybe 3 rounds per each.  Pretty frustrating.  It was accurate enough and I figured that with more use I would get better with it.  The snappy recoil was a bit of a surprise as I expected that the mass of the all steel pistol would attenuate that.   

Got back to my shop and began to dig deeper into the operation.  Pulled the extractor as I was thinking that maybe it wasn't engaging the case rim as it stripped the round off the mag, very gunky under there and reinstalled properly.  I was surprised that the extractor hook was so small.  I also pulled the FP and cleaned the channel and spring out well.  Gunky again and was reassembled dry as I do not usually lube this area.  I polished the feed ramp with a Dremel, felt bullet and compound.  I also pulled the mags down and cleaned them, treating them with silicone spray and wiping them down.

I did some work with fine steel wool and cold bluing and it looks much better.  Back to the range and still had the FTF, with the rounds hitting the high side of the chamber.  I am now blaming the magazine lips, specifically the width of those.  I had a pliers in my range bag and pinching them slightly improved the feeding. 

More to follow once I get back to the range.  My 95 grain Xtreme PRN bullets got here today and I'll be able to load up some more fodder in the next few days.

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »
The problem could well be with the magazines you have. There were many discussions about FTF with the P64s over the years; all traceable back to the mags.

http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6991

If you're using a 12 round aftermarket mag with a visible seam down the front see other threads here on the subject.

Offline eastman

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »
The problem could well be with the magazines you have. There were many discussions about FTF with the P64s over the years; all traceable back to the mags.

If you're using a 12 round aftermarket mag with a visible seam down the front see other threads here on the subject.

the ones  labelled "cz mfg" are junk
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
Absolutely right!

Supposedly the recommended fixes make them less junky, but you still shouldn't have to do that in the first place. At least they give me something to fool around with.

Offline Czechbikr

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »

the ones  labelled "cz mfg" are junk

Two two extra that I bought with the gun from CenterfireSystems are the CZ Mfg mags and do have the seam.  I'll have to search the "fix" to see if I can remedy the issue.

Offline dtomp

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »
I just checked and they still have very good condition cz83 for $324. As far as mags go to AIM surplus.

anything