Author Topic: P09 Pro kit - light strikes on factory ammo w/yellow hammer spring  (Read 217 times)

Offline nasty618

Hi all,

I had two light strikes in ~80 rounds with my fully cajunized (97098 Pro-Grade Upgrade Kit) P09 using the yellow (18#) spring shooting Fiocchi 115 grain ammo. With a double action second pull the shots went off as expected.

I've used the gold (15#) spring in the past with zero issues with 124gr Blazer ammo.

Any thoughts? Should I check the firing pin channel for carbon build up? I am not convinced that it's the spring setting since total number of rounds on the kit is around 2000 +/-... But maybe that's it?

Thank you in advance!

Offline nasty618

Re: P09 Pro kit - light strikes on factory ammo w/yellow hammer spring
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
Any advice, gents? I am not a reloader, is Fiocchi ammo known for hard primers? i am a bit stuck with an approach to figure this out, since i feel like the yellow spring should be able to set off any primer in pretty much any condition...

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
Sounds like an ammo issue. If the 15# spring worked perfectly with the other brand, suggest to switch back to that ammo and spring to confirm?  Otherwise, I would assume firing pin related issue.

Offline nasty618

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »
Good idea, i'll try that. Thanks!!

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
My 15 LBers seem to do fine even with Wolf.  I have an occasional LS but I'm not worried about this with a known hard primer brand.  That Fiocchi sounds tough.

Offline nasty618

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »
Tested with blazer ammo, no light strikes in about 60 rounds. Then shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi... 1 light strike about half way through the box... I might pull the pin just to make sure, but I wonder if it's indeed the ammo that's causing it. Maybe I'll also try Fiocchi in my Shadow 2 that has the full CGW kit and an 11lbs hammer spring.

Offline nasty618

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:09:03 PM »
Today I had a light strike with good old Blazer ammo, nothing else changed. So it's not just Fiocchi brand.  I guess I need to pull out the firing pin at this point... Any tips on what to look for besides the obvious signs like a broken pin?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 05:13:22 AM »
Does your pistol have an extended firing pin installed? 

I've never had the issue in my P07/P09 but I run factory springs in those.  I did put lighter hammer springs in a couple of the CZ75's and added the CGW extended firing pin to two of those.  Not because I had issues with the lighter spring, but because I didn't want to have problems with the lighter springs.  No issues with either one.

Have you done a "pencil test"?

Make sure the pistol is unloaded.
Point it muzzle up.
Insert a pencil, wooden end down.
Cock the hammer.
Pull the trigger.
The firing pin striking the pencil will usually launch the pencil out of the muzzle by up to a couple feet. 

If not, something isn't quite right either with some parts or with cleanliness.

Some of my striker fired pistols won't lift the pencil out of the barrel but they still set off the ammo/primers.  My new XD will shoot the pencil up a couple feet.  My 1911's will bounce a pencil off the ceiling.  When I've been working on a pistol and get it back together, a pencil test insures the thing will set off primers.  A failed pencil test indicates likely failures to fire.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.