Author Topic: Witness full size 22LR Conversion kit problems  (Read 2774 times)

Offline texas yankee

Witness full size 22LR Conversion kit problems
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
I have an EAA \ Tanfoglio Witness in .45, and another in 9mm - both in the Wonder finish - I like the guns just fine, but I can't get the Witness 22LR Conversion Kit running reliably - it has already been to EAA once for fitting, and they're sending me another return shipping label for the kit and a lower to go back again.  The pistols are both the full size variety so I'm pretty sure they each should work with the Conversion Kit, even though the label on the Kit box refers to "STL & PS 45/10".

The 22LR slide meets a lot of resistance coming back when the underside of the slide meets the top of the hammer - right where there's a "hump" in the middle of the Conversion Kit slide (I attached a link to a picture) - neither of the other two slides have that hump like in the 22LR slide.

The other thing I'm wresting with is getting the firing pin out of the 22 slide for a thorough cleaning - the firing pin stop comes off OK, but the firing pin won't come out - the firing pin plunger \ safety moves, but it doesn't go all the way in.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions !!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:37:29 PM by Grendel »

Offline win308

Re: Witness full size 22LR Conversion kit problems
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
The only way I got my 22 kit to work was with super hi velocity .22 ammo. 

Offline texas yankee

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
Yeah, I figured that I might have to go that way - I have a couple of other 22s that only work well with higher powered 22LR, like CCI Stingers and such - then I shoot my Ruger MK III and 10\22s and they eat pretty much anything and it bugs me that I have to use the CCI stuff just to get a 22 to function reliably - 1st world problems, huh?  Thanks !

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »
I have the full sized Witness in black that that came as a set at the time in 45/22. Came w .45 barrel, slide, recoil spring, and mag and also .22 barrel, slide, recoil spring, and mag. .22 "conversion" worked well from day one. Likes to run wet(lots of lube) but other than that works very well with any .22 ammo. even the bulk box junk.

Offline Bret

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
I'm very interested to see what the root of the problem is.  Like HollowDawg, my 9/22 conversion has been great from the start with standard velocity 22LR.  I don't know if it makes a difference, but I use only copper plated (or washed or whatever it is) bullets simply because I don't like using unjacketed lead.  I really hope that EAA is able to get it running because it's a lot of fun to shoot and a good teaching tool for new shooters.

Offline Rcher

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »
I had issues with Witness .22lr conversion kit (small frame) on my SAR Mega pistol.

Here's the thread which might be helpful: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=87241.0

After I did some polishing (including hammer face) most of the issues were gone, but bad .22lr magazine could be an issue too.
I've run more than 1800 rounds on .22lr upper (with 1800 rounds on 9mm), so the trigger-hammer part is polished well now.
Now I have feeding issues only 1 time per 50-100 rounds (at the very beginning I had 2-3 F2F per 10 rounds).

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »
I suppose it may be a bit of luck, but both of my 22 conversion kits (large frame and small frame) worked fine right out of the box.  I've used the small frame on my witness PS, small frame steel witness, an old jericho 941f, and my SAR b6p.  The slide doesn't lock back on the last round, but I knew it probably wouldn't because I didn't want to change out the slide lock spring with the one that comes in the kits.  Other than that they work great for me.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 02:10:49 PM »
If EAA is going to work on it for you, then let them do it.

fwiw, having the coveversion work on 1 lower is doable, but then adding 1 or more lowers you start introducing possible issues.   So again, if they are going to do the fix, just be happy.

I have some of the conversions and uppers in the RF and CF and some dont fit OTS.  They recommend you send the lower(s) to them to fit it and i can see why.  Just like CZ 22 conversion is made a bit tight to fit the lower, im sure the EAA may do the same.

If there is some mfg defect then add a note into your return, remember that pictures are worth a thousand words and if you can, use a marker to mark where you think is the issue or use some tape and put an arrow to the area.   

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 09:22:02 PM »
I bought an EAA 22 (Large Frame) Conversion and it too was a bit tight
I stoned the Slide Rails (a little at a time) until it slide like butter
A slight bevel on the underside of the Slide where it contacts the Hammer doesn't hurt either
The 10mm Longslide Slide needed quite a bit more work, but it runs smooth too

So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

anything