Author Topic: New Pro Package installed, WOW!!!  (Read 1708 times)

Offline daved20319

New Pro Package installed, WOW!!!
« on: December 13, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
Haven't had a chance to actually shoot it yet, but finished up the install yesterday morning (had to tweak the trigger adjustments a bit), but dry firing, it's pretty awesome.  Checked pull weights, SA is right where CGW says it should be, 3.5 lbs., DA (from half-cock/decocked) is even lighter than they say, it's coming in at about 7.25 lbs., and very smooth with no stacking.  SA reset is MUCH shorter than it was, and the adjustable trigger makes it possible to set it for virtually no take-up slack or over travel.  To say I'm pleased with the results is an understatement, now I'm trying to figure out how to afford to do the same to my PCR.  Love the race hammer, thumbing it back feels way more positive than the original rounded design.  The flatter trigger is a surprisingly big improvement, I knew I had issues with my PCR trigger and hammer bite, that's why I changed to this same style trigger, but I didn't think it would make that much difference on the 97, especially just dry firing.  Wrong again!

This was a fun project, I took my time and was careful and meticulous in my prep, as well as disassembly and reassembly.  And BTW, for those saying that these are dificult guns to work on, I say, not so much.  I invested in the CZ Armorers Manual before starting any of this, it has very clear, high res, high contrast photos of each step throughout, it really makes the whole process pretty easy.  The ONLY issue I had was with the firing pin block lifter spring in the sear cage, when I did my PCR to replace the trigger and polish, it actually got away from me without my noticing it.  Got to that step in the reassembly where it says to install that spring, and I'm going, what spring?  Luckily, I was able to find it, on my shop floor about 8' from my workbench  ::).  But forewarned is forearmed, so I was extra careful with the 97.  Didn't lose it this time, but it didn't want to cooperate on reassembly, I had to do the sear cage 2 or 3 times before I got it right.  Other than that, clear sailing.  So if you're on the fence about tackling this project vs. sending it off to CGW, I say go for it.  Not only will you end up with a much better pistol, but you'll also have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself, with the added benefit of truly knowing your pistol inside and out.  Can't wait to shoot it, but will probably have to, although I may risk the wrath of the wife and run a mag through out behind my shop, just to fully check function, of course  O0.  Later.

Dave

Offline Uriel67

Re: New Pro Package installed, WOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »
Congrats on the successful install! I too took the plunge and did pro package install myself on the 97B. It's a very good way to get to know how it's all put together. Just makes you appreciate the engineering that goes into these pistols a little more. Next step, 1911-97 barrel bushing install by CGW...

Offline daved20319

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
I'm going to hold off on the bushing conversion until I've had a chance to run some rounds through it, the Pro Package may help me get all the accuracy I'm capable of, so why spend the cash and time if I won't gain anything?  I'm not saying it wouldn't make a difference, just that it might not in my hands, and just because it looks cool isn't enough reason otherwise.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I still don't get why everyone says the decockers are so much more complicated to work on.  I also have a Tanfo Witness, pretty similar internally to the standard 75 safety models, yeah, the sear cage assembly is a little simpler, but neither one is really a big deal IMO.  Maybe the difference was having the Armorers Manual on the bench next to me while doing the deed.  Between that and some of the excellent polishing tutorials on this site, it really was a fun project rather than a chore.  Later.

Dave

Offline Sams1

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »

Yep, I took the plunge with the Pro-package as well!  I first did it on my stock SP01 (which turned it into my best and most accurate 9mm pistol) and recently did the same on my new 97B!  I too got great results on both SA and DA on the 97 and love it!  Now, this 97B is my best and most accurate .45  ;D   As always, Cajun (David) is always there to bail you out if needed...

There is a lot of good info online as to how to do this and other upgrades.  Unless you have zero experience or simply don't like learning/working on your pistol, you can definitely get it done yourself once you did your homework and are prepared (a la daved20319).

Sam

Offline Sams1

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »

By the way, I did the Cajun bushing replacement on my SP01 but am holding off doing the 1911 bushing upgrade on my 97B.  It's quite a bit more expensive and I believe its main benefit is for longer range shooting (other than the 'cool factor').  With the Pro Package alone, this gun already makes me look really good at the range...  O0

Offline daved20319

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »
My next gun will be an SP-01 Tactical, hopefully, the guns I have for sale/trade will start moving once Christmas is past  ::).  I gave serious thought to a Phantom for awhile, but the extra heft of the 97 really made up my mind, I just love the feel of that pistol!  Since the SP-01 is almost the same size and weight, at least on paper, I'm expecting a very similar feel, and an even softer shooter, 9 vs. .45.  Of course, once I get it, I'll need to do the Pro Package on that one, too.  Just never ends, does it  8)?  Later.

Dave

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
That is the problem with getting used to nice triggers.  Now I go into the gun shop and if he has a CZ in stock I'm constantly comparing to what I already have and if I'm going to buy I have to take into consideration the extra money to get the trigger to my standards. 

The only gun I haven't had to spend a lot more money on to get the trigger nice on is the couple S2s.  Those came from the factory with an acceptable trigger that just needed a couple springs. 

Offline daved20319

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
I don't mind spending money on triggers, especially when the results are as dramatic as this was.  And a rough or heavy out of the box trigger has never been an issue for me, there's nearly always something that can be done to make it at least good enough, if not outstanding.  And lets face it, for most of us, most of the time, good enough is, well, good enough  ;).  Yeah, it might add to the cost, but a brand new 97 BD plus CGW Pro Package still comes in at less than $1000, what are you going to find at a similar price point with a trigger that good?  Besides, I like working on guns, that's how my air gun hobby morphed into a machining hobby, seemed like I was working on, modding, or building more than I was shooting.  Convinced the wife I needed a lathe, then later, a small mill/drill.  Still like tinkering, but I haven't fired up the machine tools in quite a while, too many other things going on.  Later.

Dave