Author Topic: Pre-B clean up  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Blackwatch

Pre-B clean up
« on: November 11, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
Seemed a good idea - clean/lube the oldies but starting to feel like half a days work!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:44:07 AM by Blackwatch »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Pre-B clean up
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
I think you've caught the CZ bug.

I need to do some of that myself, but will probably wait till colder weather to start dragging stuff out of the gun safe to inspect/lube/wipe down.  I need to get some pictures, too.  Lot of old stuff in there.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
That is incredible!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Production year and one notable feature of each?

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »
My last scheduled demo event this year is Dec 1*, so the rest of that weekend will be spent giving 11 pistols and a Scorpion a thorough cleaning.

* (5-Star in Zion IL)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
Production year and one notable feature of each?

Production dates 92 - 78 (left to right) most have had solo portaits in the forum at one time or another. I was thinking of posting different roll marks across production years as a wee visual reference.

Offline MG-70

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 11:22:42 PM »
Sweet collection!  Anyone keeping track of serial number range/features/production numbers like they sometimes do on gunboards?  Do you shoot 'em or basically clean and store? 

I recently bought a surplus Pre-B with the larger rounded trigger guard but the safety lever appears to be of the earlier design with smaller hole.  Do you think it could've left the factory like that, or more likely replaced by the Israelis?

Good luck with the cleaning!  I usually take my time the first time around to get an idea of the condition, wear, etc.

Cheers

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 11:55:30 PM »
Sweet collection!  Anyone keeping track of serial number range/features/production numbers like they sometimes do on gunboards?  Do you shoot 'em or basically clean and store? 

I recently bought a surplus Pre-B with the larger rounded trigger guard but the safety lever appears to be of the earlier design with smaller hole.  Do you think it could've left the factory like that, or more likely replaced by the Israelis?

Good luck with the cleaning!  I usually take my time the first time around to get an idea of the condition, wear, etc.

Cheers

Thank you MG-70, all items pictured have been fired, some more lightly than others! I came across a product that I hadn't used before (Wipe Out) and it removes copper, carbon and fouling better than anything else I've tried...so all the pre-B's got the treatement  :)

As far as I know, serial number range/features/production number info is not centralized or in a sticky. Your pre-B is probably 1988 - 1992 (one hole safety and rounded larger trigger guard) typical of those production dates.

Offline Froggy

• Shooting in the Czech Republic
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
Most impressive BlackWatch !!
Makes a lovely "familly photo"  ;)

Offline MG-70

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »

Cheers

Thank you MG-70, all items pictured have been fired, some more lightly than others! I came across a product that I hadn't used before (Wipe Out) and it removes copper, carbon and fouling better than anything else I've tried...so all the pre-B's got the treatement  :)

As far as I know, serial number range/features/production number info is not centralized or in a sticky. Your pre-B is probably 1988 - 1992 (one hole safety and rounded larger trigger guard) typical of those production dates.

Thanks for the clarification on my pistol.  Production date is 92.  I will look for Wipe Out locally.  One more question, since your pistols may have come from the same batch as the two I bought. Have you found any pitting in your bores? One of my barrels appears to have some light pitting, despite being bright and strong.  I have not tried any products other than Hoppe's No.9, which is not that strong, and some Mother's Mag polish (just for the heck of it, since I had used it to clean up the outside of one of the barrels).  There was a ton of lead accumulated along the edges of the grooves at first, which came out with some soaking and lots of scrubbing.  I will try a stronger chemical once I find the time to search for it locally; maybe the Wipe Out will clear it up.

I was working overseas when the majority of these surplus CZs came in a few years ago, missed the best prices, but was fortunate to have found some on GB a couple of months ago.  The "Pre-B", specifically, was one of the pistols I dreamed about in my late teens.  I must've memorized those late '80's Shooter's Bibles.  Some of the others in the "would love to have" list included a stainless Springfield Armory ("Inc.") 1911A1, Browning Hi-Power, Walther PP 7.65, Springfield Armory (Imbel) FAL, HK 91, Hammerli 208, a Ruger MKII stainless target, and a few S&W revolvers.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:59:31 PM by MG-70 »

Offline dragon813gt

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
While I don?t have that many CZs, I know the feeling.  Last time I started the yearly cleaning I spent a day and only got through the handguns.  The rifles will take a few days.  I refuse to put them up for long term storage.  I really should apply rig grease and not have to lube them annually.

Offline Sango

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 03:07:19 AM »
Most impressive.  8)
I’ve got a few CZ’s...

anything