Author Topic: 527 scope mounting?  (Read 3980 times)

Offline crosstimbers

Re: 527 scope mounting?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 05:57:23 PM »
I have had much less trouble regarding ring height on my 527s, than on my 550 and 557. I have a Redfield 2x7 and an old Redfield tracker on the smaller rifles. But even with higher rings (Warne) on the larger rifles, I had to use scopes with more slender eyepieces, a Minox and a Meopta. The CZ factory rings on one of my 527s had really sharp corners, and I managed to scrape my hand on it a couple of times, also the screws stripped out pretty easily or so it seemed, ended up going with Burris rings on that one.

Offline whitearrow

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
I used said tikka t3 OEM rings on both of my CZ-527 Americans mounting meopta meopro 4.5-14/44mm scopes but you will possibly need the shaved down new style bolt handle. I did for the mount but meopta eyepieces are rather large in diameter. One of my 527’s has the new style and one didn’t so you will need to check for yourself.
Big Ed

Offline david s

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »
            Three different bolt handles. From left to right, Left, a home ground bolt handle, ground almost into the bolt lock hole and flat no crown radius, Center, the current lower style handle and Right, the older style tall handle. The difference in the bolt handles is the amount of metal above the dimpled bolt lock hole. There is about 1/8" of difference between the older tall handle and the current lower handle. The bolt handle your rifle has is one part of the equation.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:01:38 PM by david s »

Offline david s

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
   Two CZ 527 Varmint rifles The left rifle is a 2013 17 Hornet with the new style bolt handle. the right rifle is a 2008 17 Remington with the older tall style bolt handle. Both rifles wear Redfield scopes, the left rifle a 2013 6-18X and the right rifle a mid 1980's 6400 16X. Both rifle/scope combinations sit in Warne medium rings.                                                                          The 17 Hornet and the original style handle, not gonna happen.Two photos of the 17 Hornet and the new lower style handle, almost but not quite, the handle hits the scopes ocular housing knurling.              And two photos of the 17 Hornet and it's home ground handle, it clears but can still touch the scope, I didn't want to grind into the bolt lock hole.       And finally two photos of the 17 Remington and it's older tall bolt handle, this works because the Redfield 6400 has a smaller ocular at 1.45" as opposed to the      6-18X ocular at 1.78" and the ocular housing is farther back and allows the bolt more wiggle room.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 08:20:25 PM by david s »

Offline david s

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
              From left to right 1 inch 527 16mm rings.  Left, Calhoon @ .425", Warne medium @ .425", Warne QD medium @ .425", Leupold medium @ .500", Talley @ .525", Warne high @ .535", CZ medium @ .550" and Burris medium @ .550". There is an 1/8 inch (.125") difference between the Calhoon/Warne medium rings and the CZ/Burris medium rings. This is about the same amount of difference as there is between the two versions of bolt handles. If your rifle is set up with the Calhoon or Warne medium rings and the old style tall bolt handle you can gain 1/8" of clearance by going to the CZ or Burris rings. You can gain the same 1/8" of clearance by swapping the bolt handle to the newer shorter style. Or you can gain 1/4" by swapping both the rings and the bolt handle. If your scope is set in CZ or Burris medium rings and you want to lower it closer to the barrel you can lower it by 1/8" by switching to the Calhoon or Warne medium rings. If you had 1/8" of clearance around your bolt handle before the swap you should be okay. If you had less than the 1/8" of clearance around the ocular housing then you need to use the lower bolt handle or grind your current one. And if none of this works its time to look at scope rails.

Offline whitearrow

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 09:01:07 PM »
David s darn nice comparison for somebody looking for rings and how high or low they are. Don’t know where my factory tikka rings would fit in there as far as height but I don’t have much clearance with the meoptas big ocular.
Big Ed