Author Topic: 527 scope mounting?  (Read 11743 times)

Offline 8lbbass

527 scope mounting?
« on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
Just bought my first CZ rifle a used,  223,  527 carbine.  I'm thinking it was mfg in 2001 as 01 is on stamped on the right side of the barrel where it joins the receiver.  It has the curved bolt handle.

I'm planning to use a Leupold 2-7x33 scope.  What are the lowest rings I can use that the stock curved bolt handle will clear?  I was planning on using the Burris 527 SA rings but read somewhere they are no lower than the factory CZ rings that came with the rifle.  Someone suggested Warne rings but I don't like the way they close at the top. Any others that would work?

Offline david s

Re: 527 scope mounting?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »
If I remember correctly Burris only made two ring heights for the CZ 527 medium and high. The medium Burris rings are pretty close to factory CZ rings in height. I don't actually know but I believe you'll be all right with the Burris rings. Warne medium rings are about 1/8 inch lower than the factory CZ rings and I believe would cause an issue with the bolt handle. The Warne high rings are about factory CZ ring height so probably no issue. If you can locate a set of Calhoun rings they are about 1/8 inch lower than the factory CZ rings and are split horizontality. But with the same potential for bolt handle conflict. You might give James Calhoun a call and see if he's made any rings since February. He would also have a better idea about possible problems. Good Luck  Post scrip you seem to be aware that CZ has some what addressed this issue with a modified bolt handle (Calhoun also has one) its an easy swap but one more expense.

Offline Jiva

• I came for the pistols and stayed for the rifles
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
My buddy has Burris Zee rings on his 527. Please post a pic when you decide and get it mounted :D
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E ZKM Classic .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR

Offline Doc Wyatt

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 12:27:41 PM »
I had ordered some Leupold medium mounts for a Leupold 3x-9x by 40 for use on a 527 Lux in .223 that has the curved bolt handle.  Works fine on this rifle.  Bolt handle clears the rear eyepiece by about a 1/4".

Offline 8lbbass

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »
Thanks to all who replied?

I tried the Burris mediums and they're better looking IMO than the original CZ rings but appeared to be the same height.  Guess I'll try the Warne mediums next as it's my understanding they're a little lower and my 2-7x33 Leupold should still clear.  The Leupolds look good but so far cost more than I want to spend.

Offline david s

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
The difference between the Burris medium rings and the Warne medium rings is about 1/8 inch. If you have more than an eighth inch of scope clearance with the Burris rings you should be able to use the Warne rings. Check the clearance at the 6 o'clock position but also at the 4 and 5 o'clock positions. The Leupold rings are about the same height as the Burris/CZ rings. Most ring manufactures keep there rings fairly tall to avoid bolt handle and scope ocular interference. There is more than a little variation in scope ocular diameters between different manufacturers and models. So manufactures try to ere on the no conflict side. The Leupold 2-7x33mm has a reasonably sized ocular but it is bigger than the old Leupold 2-7 rimfire scopes. I have no experience with them but Millet use to make a set of low rings for the CZ 527's. If your trying to get your scope lower you might try and find a set of these on the used market. Just remember you may run into issues with the bolt handle.  I also can't guarantee these numbers so take them with a grain of salt. CZ list there rings at .550 inch Midway has the ring height at .555 inch. Burris and Leupold medium rings at .500 inch height. Warne medium rings at .445 inch and two different heights for Calhoun rings .425 inch and .445 inch. I am of the opinion that the Calhoun rings are .445 inch high as they seem to match the Warne rings almost exactly. And Millet low rings at .395 inch. An eighth inch is .125. Good Luck

Offline 8lbbass

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
Thanks david s, that's a lot of good info.  Based on this and 527 photos I'm seeing I'll probably try the Warne mediums.  Looks like a lot of 527 shooters are using them.

Offline 8lbbass

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
Just found out that Tikka factory rings will clamp right on the 527 Carbine receiver if you punch out the rings recoil pin (comes out easy).  They're noticeably lower than CZ's factory rings but my older 2001 mfg. rifle's   unmodified bolt handle will just clear a 2-7x33 Leupold ocular ring.  They're not for hard kickers but it's my understanding they'll hold the 7.62x39 and mine definitely holds without slipping on my 223.

Granted,  the Tikka rings don't have the machined steel look of Burris or Leupold rings but they get your scope lower,  depending on scope size, look at least as good as the CZ factory rings and are lower in cost.  You might get them for a lot less by checking with your gunsmith.  Mine had several sets he had no use for that he had replaced with stronger rings on harder kicking rifles.

Offline david s

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »
I had heard that Tikka rings could be used I've not seen any though. I use Warne QD rings on my 7.62X39mm carbine. I removed the recoil set screw out of the rear ring so that I could reverse the rings (move the QD lever to the left side) and the little 1.5-5X scope walked forward under recoil. I had to drill and tap the threaded lever side of the rear ring to reinstall the set recoil screw. There is only about 1/8" of threading but so far it's held up. There is also a set of 17mm dovetail rings (I've misplaced the manufactures name) that are suppose to work with over 30mm scope tubes on the CZ 527 rifle dovetails.

Offline david s

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »
35mm rings 17mm dovetail by TierOne thru Optic-Trade.eu. Expensive

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
The Warne 1B1M installed perfectly on my 527 Varmint, my first CZ firearm.  It came from CZ with 16mm dovetails on the receiver and my scope is 1 inch body diameter.  The only other 16mm ring I found was from CZ but I read some disparaging remarks on the quality so I went with the Warne.  They attached with 4 torx T-15 screws, 2 for the dovetail and 2 on top of the scope body.  Rings were only available in Med and High...I found a scope mount selector guide on the Warne web site and based on it and the specs for my scope I got the Med which goes along with the idea that the scope should be close to the barrel if possible.  With the bolt up I have about 1/8 to 1/4 in. clearance between scope and bolt.  Scope is Redfield Tracker 3x-9x 42mm.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:24:52 PM by Gandalf »

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »
Photo - Warne 1B1M - 1 inch CZ 527 MED MATTE

Offline cnichols

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
Here's a bit of information which may be of benefit to someone installing a scope on a CZ 527.  I recently purchased a set of the Warne 16mm dovetail rings in medium height to install an Athlon Argos 6-24 x 50 scope on my 527 Varmint rifle.  Unfortunately the rings were just a tiny bit too short, and the knob on the bolt handle made contact with the power adjustment ring on the scope (which has an eyepiece diameter of 1.8").  It was such a tiny contact that I could pull the bolt all the way back with minimal effort, and there was adequate clearance between the bolt and the eyepiece itself.  Needless to say, I considered this unsatisfactory, and have returned the rings to Midway to exchange for the tall Warne rings which should work just fine.  Hopefully this will be of some help to someone at some time in the future.  I know this info would have certainly helped me.

Starr1

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
I put a DIP rail on my 527 carbine and it eliminates all the complicated ring choices. It opens up a lot more ring choices you can use to mount your scope. The DIP rail and Leupold med rifleman rings with a 3-9x40 scope is pretty much perfect.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585&CAT=4268

Offline S M Scott

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 09:05:05 PM »
I am a new owner of a 527 Varmint in 223. My scope is a Nikon Prostaff P3 6 x 18. The Warne high rings are perfect. It’s close enough that the lens caps must be removed to allow for bolt travel.