Author Topic: 17 HMR tight bore  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Traveling Fisher

17 HMR tight bore
« on: November 17, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
Is the 17 also a tight bore like the 22 LR? I just switched my 455 to 17 barrel and the 17 patchwork pulls through the patch. No problem on my Savage. It did pull a wet patch through, but a dry patch failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jay-man

Re: 17 HMR tight bore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »
My 455 17 hmr is TIGHT! I need some advice on what to pull through the barrel to clean it.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• It Ain't Easy Being Me!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »
Sorry to hear y'all have this problem. But relieved to know I'm not alone in trying to come up with a combination of rods, brushes and jags. My .22 Cal Pro-Shot Rods will clear, but not by much. I've learned not to run a dry patch with the spear tip .20 Cal jag. For the time being I've settled on .20 Cal rods and adaptors to get me up to 8-32 thread for the .22 Cal attachments. And it's still a chore. It's like I'm on a quest!

I've now got three rod guides and none of them line up properly with each attachment. I'm swapping this or that between steps of cleaning a bore.
Clayton

Offline eastman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
For a .22 LR barrel on a 455, I use the OTIS cables without any issues. Don't have access to a .17 to try, but expect the same will work.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline DWARREN

• Grumpy Old Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »
For the .17 HMR try a .177 pellet rod and brushes/jags. Tight bore and good accuracy.
SHUT UP AND RELOAD!

Offline benscratchin

• "Sun's out guns out"
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 07:45:39 AM »
For the .17 HMR try a .177 pellet rod and brushes/jags. Tight bore and good accuracy.

I had not thought of this yet, as I've just received my new 17HMR barrel, and have not installed it yet.
I do have .177 pellet cleaning rods. I'll have to give them a try. Glad I saw this thread.
"The Right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be Infringed"
est: 1791 USA

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 10:45:07 AM »
I don't like or use jags.  They require you to push the cleaning patch/jag/rod through the bore.  That results in the rod bending and rubbing the lands.  Coated, non-coated, they rub, and the coated is said to pick up crud and embed it in the coating.

Try pulling a patch through the barrel.  If it's too big/tight, cut the size down with a pair of scissors.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »
Since using a rod on my Volgaurtsen voids the warranty I started with pull throughs and kept using them. Yes its very tight.
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70