Author Topic: What AR magazines do you prefer and why???  (Read 3180 times)

Offline DOC 1500

What AR magazines do you prefer and why???
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:10:12 AM »
Being a newbie to the AR platform,  I'm looking for " well experienced" users of the AR platform. LEO'S , competition shooters, Special Ops, SWAT.
Or from somebody that's been shooting this platform for years.
I look forward to hearing from these guys and thank you for your service and recommendations.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline mrcabinet

Re: What AR magazines do you prefer and why???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:41:18 AM »
I've only been into the AR platform for about 15 years but have tried a bunch of different mags during that time. I keep going back to the GI style aluminum mags for .223/5.56. They're inexpensive and just plain work, For other calibers like 7.62x39 and 6.5, I stick with either C-Products or ASC. Call me old school, but I tend to prefer metal over plastic for items that can/will get abused.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »
.223/5.56X45 - PMags (they work as well as any of them), D&H (aluminum mags that PSA puts on sale several times a year).

5.45X39 - CProducts, the only brand/type I've bought for this caliber AR15.

.300 BO - mostly stuck with 20 round mags for this, old GI, couple 20 round PMags, couple Sure Feed 20 rounders.  No issues with any of them (why 20 round? - so I'll never grab a .300 BO magazine and stick it in a .223 chambered AR and have a bad day.

The only magazines I've ever had an issue with are a bunch I bought from CProducts several years ago.  Aluminum 30 round magazines.  Thirty percent failure rate.  Twenty magazines bought, 6 or 7 failed.  Failure was the last two rounds in the magazine would go nose down and hang up in the magazine rather than feed to the chamber.  The CProducts guy on arfcom kept telling me to e-mail him and he'd take care of it.  I finally gave up e-mailing him when he would never respond.  Never bought another CProducts magazine.

For the .308 AR I've only used PMags.  Never any issues.

If I were going to buy more AR15 magazines today I'd buy more D&H magazines from PSA next good sale they had.

Funny, the 30 round CProducts .223 magazines were junk.  The 30 round 5.45X39 magazines worked 100% for me.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
Magpul

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »
Magpul
Why Magpul?

I bought my first AR a few years ago, a Daniel Defense.  It came with a Magpul PMag.  I bought a few more.  They are perfectly reliable -- never a hitch.  And at their price point, when/if one finally gives up, I'll drop them all in the trash and buy new ones.

I am not a metal beats plastic guy.  I am a metal beats plastic WHEN metal beats plastic, and not otherwise guy.  And unless we're talking about something under extremely high stress, modern polymers and plastics will last as long as metal.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »
Keep up the replies guys this is good stuff.
I don't want to make this thread a discussion , let's just make it an opinion poll.  what you like and why.

Offline double-d

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 02:59:01 PM »
Only USGI metal mags because they just plain work and have since the AR has been produced.

FWIW- I only use those by Colt, NHTMG & Okay Industries......(and I have a bunch). 

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 03:33:50 PM »
Magpul for me as well, they just work. All the time. I also have a bunch of usgi mags, some of them cause feed issues. Magpul anti-tilt followers pretty much fix that though. The only reason I bother with the usgi mags is they came in a package deal with some ammo I bought.
 I have C Products 5rd mags for my Grendel, so far so good but I wish Magpul would make them for that caliber.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »
About the cheapest I've been able to buy PMags is around $9 a magazine.  That's a good price.

About the cheapest I've been able to buy the D&H magazines from PSA is $7 a magazine.

I'm out now (meaning I've given a bunch to the kids the last few years as we built them AR15 carbines, rifles, pistols and I don't have a reserve in one or more boxes in the garage anymore.

Oh, I have been buying the PMag 40 round magazine, only 5 or 6 so far, for the road trip carbine.  The fit fine in the rifle case mag. pockets and if I really need that carbine then 40 rounds is better than 30 is better than 20 is better than 10, etc.  No issues, so far, with the PMag 40's either.  Forgot about those in the first post/response.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 04:19:09 PM »
Mission First makes a great mag too. They are rock solid and feed very well. Also love the Lancer mags with the metal feed lips. Honestly most magazines out there are good. There are exceptions though like Pro Mag.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »
Friends don't let friends buy Promags.

I have a cousin I just cannot break from the habit of buying the cheapest magazines he sees - even if they are promags.  Then he calls me to let me know he's having feeding/jamming issues with his pistol.  I'm probably getting numb to it by now.

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 07:27:18 PM »
Magpul Gen 3 Pmags for me.

There have been studies by both the Army and the USMC that showed the fewest stoppages etc. They now have NSN numbers and are being standard issue for both the USMC and the Air Force.

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 09:19:46 PM »
I've put nearly all of my 5.56 thru Magpul PMags. They always work (hard to argue with that).

I bought 2 of the Daniel Defense 32 round mags, but haven't had the AR out to play since I bought them.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
.223/5.56X45 - PMags (they work as well as any of them), D&H (aluminum mags that PSA puts on sale several times a year).

5.45X39 - CProducts, the only brand/type I've bought for this caliber AR15.

.300 BO - mostly stuck with 20 round mags for this, old GI, couple 20 round PMags, couple Sure Feed 20 rounders.  No issues with any of them (why 20 round? - so I'll never grab a .300 BO magazine and stick it in a .223 chambered AR and have a bad day.

The only magazines I've ever had an issue with are a bunch I bought from CProducts several years ago.  Aluminum 30 round magazines.  Thirty percent failure rate.  Twenty magazines bought, 6 or 7 failed.  Failure was the last two rounds in the magazine would go nose down and hang up in the magazine rather than feed to the chamber.  The CProducts guy on arfcom kept telling me to e-mail him and he'd take care of it.  I finally gave up e-mailing him when he would never respond.  Never bought another CProducts magazine.

For the .308 AR I've only used PMags.  Never any issues.

If I were going to buy more AR15 magazines today I'd buy more D&H magazines from PSA next good sale they had.

Funny, the 30 round CProducts .223 magazines were junk.  The 30 round 5.45X39 magazines worked 100% for me.

I run C-Products mags on my Russian caliber ARs and they run great....now.

I have about 30 C-Products 5.45x39 mags.  The earlier version from them had different followers in them, which did as you said.  The "new" versions are fine.  I bought the "newer" followers for the old mags and it fixed them all.

Same deal for my 7.62x39 mags.  The "newer" versions are flawless.

I have had great success with P-mags in my .223/5.56 platform stuff.

I've only tried DPMS mags in my .308