Author Topic: Refinishing and strippers [the paint kind]  (Read 2269 times)

Offline parastoo

Refinishing and strippers [the paint kind]
« on: November 18, 2018, 04:18:50 PM »
Hi,
     I bought a Transitional CZ 75 from DWJ Imports on Gunbroker. It's got the round t.g. and replaceable front sights. I'm inspired by the refinishing posts to try  rust bluing. The problem is I live in an apartment and I've read that the Kleen Strip is pretty nasty stuff. If I decide to do this, this winter, inside the apt., can I spray or immerse the parts in the stripper and put them in a closed container to keep the fumes from permeating the apt. or does the stripper the container with the parts need to be open to the air to disappate the fumes? i.e. Would there be a buildup of say explosive fumes a closed container? I can isolate the treated parts in the bathroom with the window cracked to help keep down any fumes.
     Has anyone tried a more environmentally friendly type of stripper and if so how did it work?
     Thanks,
                 Mark

Offline daved20319

Re: Refinishing and strippers [the paint kind]
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
Don't know if it would work for your application, but I stripped the remaining clear coat off an Airstream travel trailer I was restoring.  Used a product called Citri-strip, available at the Home Depot.  Worked a treat, no fumes or nasty solvents, just brush on liberally, let work for awhile, then hose off.  Might need a scrub brush for the tough spots.  Was actually more effective than the chemical strippers, with the added advantage that it didn't want to eat my skin or clothes.  Later.

Dave

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
Hi,
     I bought a Transitional CZ 75 from DWJ Imports on Gunbroker. It's got the round t.g. and replaceable front sights. I'm inspired by the refinishing posts to try  rust bluing. The problem is I live in an apartment and I've read that the Kleen Strip is pretty nasty stuff. If I decide to do this, this winter, inside the apt., can I spray or immerse the parts in the stripper and put them in a closed container to keep the fumes from permeating the apt. or does the stripper the container with the parts need to be open to the air to disappate the fumes? i.e. Would there be a buildup of say explosive fumes a closed container? I can isolate the treated parts in the bathroom with the window cracked to help keep down any fumes.
     Has anyone tried a more environmentally friendly type of stripper and if so how did it work?
     Thanks,
                 Mark
I was watching that one and hesitated because I'd just bought a different one before they listed this one. Nice pick up, round guard transitionals are quite rare and the best combo IMHO. You should be able to keep stripper enclosed in a container, but as it's breaking down paint some fumes will be released. I'd just vent it periodically outside.

Offline parastoo

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Hi,
     Thanks,
                 Mark
I was watching that one and hesitated because I'd just bought a different one before they listed this one. Nice pick up, round guard transitionals are quite rare and the best combo IMHO. You should be able to keep stripper enclosed in a container, but as it's breaking down paint some fumes will be released. I'd just vent it periodically outside.

Thanks. Right before I bought it I purchased a Tristar S-120 expecting from the catalog pictures that it would have the round trigger guard so when I got the S-120 and found out I was mistaken I was glad I got the CZ too.

Mark

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »
You got a round trigger guard with a pinned front sight? I'm jealous. Nice score.

I was reading somewhere that someone else had used some sort of much less dangerous stripper than the Aircraft Klean stripper. A thread is around somewhere on this forum or others. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Good luck with the rust blue.

Offline sberres

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:32:29 PM »
  Whenever you get ready start this there are numerous parties on this forum that will be very happy to share their experiences with you should you wish. I too, was inspired by what I?d seen here and it?s brought a new dimension to gun ownership.
  As far as your original question goes, if the old finish is the infamous black epoxy you will probably need the aircraft stripper. There are stories here of trying the wrong one and just not getting all of the paint off. It chips easily but what sticks is durable! I?ve never tried it anywhere but an outdoor garage area so I cannot attest to the odors or fumes but that stuff is potent. Protect yourself and stay safe!
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline parastoo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
Hi,
    I'm going to buy some and start practicing and see how bad it is. I've got some other things I can try it on.

Mark

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi,
    I'm going to buy some and start practicing and see how bad it is. I've got some other things I can try it on.

Mark
I tried with Klean stripper and it didn't work... and that was strong stuff. I realized I didn't have the Aircraft one.

Once I bought that it worked much better... But then it got cold and that affected the process negatively.

That epoxy stuff is pretty strong.

Offline sberres

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 10:12:50 PM »
Ironically it?s called aircraft stripper but there is a warning right on the container to NOT use on aircraft! It?s fine on steel but not aluminum.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
Here mrcabinet says he used Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy remover.
In the directions it does say that the fumes cannot be made non-poisonous...I'm not sure if this is any better than the Klean Aircraft stripper stuff.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=96803.0

I swear someone did post somewhere they use a much safer stripper. Can't find it.

Offline midaltantic44

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »
I have a 1992 hi power that had the black epoxy coating. Soaked it in aircraft cleaner for two days and  the black came off but some sort of primer coat remained.  Sanded it off w 320 paper, used 220 in a few spots. Did a final sand w 400 grit. Wasn?t at all difficult t.  Could have tAken all the paint Off rather than using chemical. Important to use a small metal sanding block in the flats. Rust blueing filled in the 400 grit marks   

Offline parastoo

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. Does the paint stripper remove the Parkerizing too?

Thanks,
             Mark

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »
Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. Does the paint stripper remove the Parkerizing too?

Thanks,
             Mark
You'll want to remove the epoxy first.
Clean it.
Then use Evaporust for a few hours.

Then clean and sand/prep

Offline sberres

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »
Is evaporust a paste/gel or liquid?  Do you wipe it on or soak the parts in it?  I just sanded/blasted my way through it last time but I think the evaporust would be more thorough.
SB

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »
Is evaporust a paste/gel or liquid?  Do you wipe it on or soak the parts in it?  I just sanded/blasted my way through it last time but I think the evaporust would be more thorough.
Liquid. It's very benign. I put it in plastic Tupperware and let it soak a few hours. You can also pour it back. (I leave mine in sealed Tupperware for later)