Author Topic: Re: Planning a new winter project. Build finished.  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Ron M.

Re: Planning a new winter project. Build finished.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »
Completed the trigger job and installed scope mount and scope. Used a DNZ Game Reaper scope integrated mount and a Leupold 2.5x ultra light scope. Trigger breaks at 3 pounds 1 ounce consistently.

Ran the first test loads through the rifle this morning. Not happy with the 200gr loads, none would group better that 4 inches. This bullet may be a failure for me. The 180gr XTP is outstanding, all the loads I tried stay under 1 1/2 inches. Top velocity was 2460fps with a near max charge of 296. Best accuracy was a slightly reduced load running 2280fps. The 158gr shot well and all the loads were at or under 2 inches. Top velocity was 2570fps, best accuracy was the load that hit 2440fps. The one that surprised me was the 140gr FTX, I got 2810fps on the max charge load, it did show some signs of being too hot however. Accuracy was not good when I push over 2650, below that I got some groups that were just over an inch, above opened up to 3  to 5 inches. Best accuracy was a load that hit 2580fps.

I'm going to try some 200gr flat point gas check bullet and the Barnes 140gr all copper HP. I hope the Barnes will be accurate at higher velocities than the FTX. I also want to load iup some 110gr or 125ge SJHP or JHP bullets. If they're accurate enough, I try them out of pest animals like raccoons, bobcats, and coyotes.

I'm going to pick up some Lil' Gun and try that too, several people tell me they get higher velocities and equal accuracy to 296.

If I were going hunting with this rifle today, I'd go with a moderate charge of 296 and the 180gr XTP.

Offline John A.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 01:34:53 PM »
That is a sharp looking gun.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »
The Henry bagged it's first hog last night. Used the 180gr XTP pushed at 2280. The hog was a sow that weighed about 200 pounds, front shoulder shot. The shot hit the shoulder and blew bone fragments through the lungs. The bullet penetrated about 20 inches and stopped in the stomach. The hog staggered about 15 yards and dropped.  Nearly complete weight retention and expanded to .73 inches. Would have easily gone through on a lung or heart shot and left a big blood trail. Range was paced out at 130 yards.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:19:59 PM by Ron M. »

Offline John A.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »
Fantastic.  Sounds like a keeper.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.