Author Topic: Kel-Tec Sub2000 Evaluation Complete  (Read 1349 times)

Offline RSR

Re: Kel-Tec Sub2000 Evaluation Complete
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
Yes, unfortunately.

I may have to move to SC, NC or GA, if that happens.

The cluster of voting in NoVa is what is dictating the rest of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SC is fairly strong insofar as 2A goes, but both NC and GA are following closely behind VA in becoming more liberal states due to demographic reasons.  Unless you're wanting to stay coastal, I'd personally look to WV or KY for 2A reasons, and a $ typically goes further on the real estate front.  Depending on where you're located, can likely also find property that's driveable to your current locale. 

TN is also trending more liberal and suburban-dominated w/ all growth and out-of-staters flocking to Nashville.  It's roughly a decade behind VA in that trend but nevertheless preceding down that path.  MO and AR both seem to be holding conservative, if not becoming more so and somewhat similar terrain and culture to the more typical Appalachia. 

Yes, definitely get VA's political dynamics -- lived and worked in DC in the political space for a few years and remain in that mix.

Offline RSR

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 09:43:26 PM »
Thanks for the comment! I'm not a big fan of lasers, especially at distance. Tracking the dot is a little like watching a fly trying to get through a window screen. It bounces all over the place and makes accurate shooting somewhat iffy. At this point, I'm waiting very impatiently for the MCarbo optic mount. If it works the way I THINK its going to, then the optic should pretty much self-deploy as the S2K is unfolded. If that mount turns out to be a solid base for an optic, then I will almost certainly add a red-dot to my carbine. If not, then I'll stick with the iron sights until something better comes along.

Thanks again,
HRF

FWIW, the bouncing laser does apply to handguns, but I find that it doesn't really apply in a meaningful way to rifles.   I also find lasers on any weapon to be a great tool for diagnosing any issues with technique on any weapon (but especially pistols, and including when dry firing) -- bouncing indicates an issue w/ the shooter, not the tools.

To that end, I carry a 10/22 w/ lasermax's 10/22 laser mounted (replaces forend band) on it most evenings and nights on my property as my varmint rifle for coons, fox, and coyotes (when aware of coyotes or hunting them, I use an AR in 5.56, but .22lr when shooting CCI velocitors is capable of humane coyote kills given adequate shot placement).  Have some poultry that roost in trees and other livestock the 'yotes pursue.  And I've never had a problem w/ bouncing laser affecting either accuracy or ability to take stationary or moving varmints.

When properly shouldering the rifle, the laser dot is just above and partially obscured by the front sight post, and white light mounted to side ride of lasermax also illuminates the front sight post's brass insert.

If you're looking CDNN has the 10/22 laser for $25 or so right now.  Originally retailed at $120 IIRC.

For the Sub2k, I am currently looking at a light w/ laser -- just haven't decided on which yet.  Have been spending some time finalizing that build out and think it's finally nearing it's final evolution for the forseeable future -- having figured out where it excels, and how it best fits into my system...

Offline RSR

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 11:34:41 PM »
...At this point, I'm waiting very impatiently for the MCarbo optic mount. If it works the way I THINK its going to, then the optic should pretty much self-deploy as the S2K is unfolded. If that mount turns out to be a solid base for an optic, then I will almost certainly add a red-dot to my carbine. If not, then I'll stick with the iron sights until something better comes along.

This. I've been hearing rumors of M*Carbo's optic mount for some time...I hope we see it soon.

I was completely unaware of this forthcoming offering.  Very cool and looks to be the ticket.  I posted a bit of a novel on their forum just now regarding the design iteration released just today.  It looks like they're having trouble perfecting the hinge mechanism from both production and function standpoints.  I don't care for the mechanism on the latest and question some of the attempt at perfect rigidity considering it's mounting to polymer clamshell handguards.  Regardless, it looks like they're committed to getting it right and look forward to their ultimate solution. 

Early youtube video, just b/c.

Offline MuzzleBlastMD

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
...At this point, I'm waiting very impatiently for the MCarbo optic mount. If it works the way I THINK its going to, then the optic should pretty much self-deploy as the S2K is unfolded. If that mount turns out to be a solid base for an optic, then I will almost certainly add a red-dot to my carbine. If not, then I'll stick with the iron sights until something better comes along.

This. I've been hearing rumors of M*Carbo's optic mount for some time...I hope we see it soon.

I was completely unaware of this forthcoming offering.  Very cool and looks to be the ticket.  I posted a bit of a novel on their forum just now regarding the design iteration released just today.  It looks like they're having trouble perfecting the hinge mechanism from both production and function standpoints.  I don't care for the mechanism on the latest and question some of the attempt at perfect rigidity considering it's mounting to polymer clamshell handguards.  Regardless, it looks like they're committed to getting it right and look forward to their ultimate solution. 

Early youtube video, just b/c.

I’m so impressed by MCarbo.  That would definitely work, assuming it keeps zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »
I picked up a Millett quick release mount for mine -- but haven't had a chance to try it out, yet.   It's aluminum, not plastic, and easily installed or removed with the sight on it.  (Only $18.95.)  I couldn't find a good plastic quick-release mount with good reviews that had the height I wanted. The Millett has a great reputation, but I haven't had a chance to try it out, yet. 

I can shoot it at an indoor range where I normally shoot, but that won't be good for sighting it in for greater distances.  It will probably tell me whether it'll hold zero as I hope.  With 9mm (what I have, 50yds and 100 yrds are supposed to both be the same (given the rise and drop hits those point.  Up close (50') it'll probably be a little high.  (An earlier 9mm sub-2000 I owned was dead on at about 30' -- with the stock sights, and the bullet still rising.

I have upgraded my Sub2000 with most of the M*Carbo upgrades (about $180 worth.)  Got a tube cover (for cheek weld) from Tacti-Cool, and their bolt release cover, as well.   I got a GREAT PRICE for the sub-2000 on Gun Broker  ($325) -- guess I just timed my last bid right, for a change.  I've picked up a SIG Romeo5 red dot, too -- also on sale from Palmetto State Armory.

It may be several weeks before I can try it out at appropriate distances.

anything