Author Topic: Failure to return to battery  (Read 1693 times)

Offline n8vmdpath

Failure to return to battery
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
My CZ97B only has about 800rounds through it and lately it has intermittent failed to completely return to battery. Need to manually push the slide for last 1-2 inch of travel to "get home".   Main recoil spring problem?  failing this soon?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Tok36

Re: Failure to return to battery
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
Is this while chambering a round or with the pistol unloaded?
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »
My CZ97B only has about 800rounds through it and lately it has intermittent failed to completely return to battery. Need to manually push the slide for last 1-2 inch of travel to "get home".   Main recoil spring problem?  failing this soon?

One to two inches, or a half an inch? Even a half an inch out of battery w/o a stovepipe holding it back is a looong way.

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
Is this while chambering a round or with the pistol unloaded?
This is at the range, while chambering the next round.  Happens once every 30-40 rounds.. occurred with both factory mags being used.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:04:46 AM »
Clean the breach face and extractor really well.   Take an empty case and slide it up behind the extractor and see if it catches or if it feeds up smoothly. If it does catch then find the burr and smooth it out.

I use brake cleaner to clean the extractor channel.   Lube it afterwards.

This is assuming that it isn't noise driving on the feed ramp.  If that is the case then clean your mags well inside and out. Clean the feed ramp next.   Might try polishing it as well.

What ammo are you shooting?   Does it pass the plunk test?   Google it.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:37:45 AM »
Clean the breach face and extractor really well.   Take an empty case and slide it up behind the extractor and see if it catches or if it feeds up smoothly. If it does catch then find the burr and smooth it out.

This is assuming that it isn't noise driving on the feed ramp.  If that is the case then clean your mags well inside and out. Clean the feed ramp next.   Might try polishing it as well.

What ammo are you shooting?   Does it pass the plunk test?   Google it.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks..I'll try those.  I am shooting LAX ammo factory new 45ACP..

Offline Raven45

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
Also determine if the problem always occurs with only a single magazine, or all your magazines.

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »
When my recoil spring was spent it was maybe an 1/8th of an inch from going into battery. Agree with the above that it is something bigger.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »

CRITICAL: n8vmdpath, what tdogg says here is good advice, but it's important to use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It's not just the threat chlorine poses to your lungs.  Chlorine can weaken metal.  So non-chlorinated only.  :) And be aware that it will melt plastic.  Be careful what you use it around.

CZs often come packed in Cosmoline, which is super viscous.  Even if you have cleaned it, there could still be some gumming up the extractor.  I'd recommend you detail strip the whole gun and clean the whole thing with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then relube (lightly, only at friction points).

Another possibility is that you have an unfortunate combination of variable stacking up just right.  I load my own ammo, and I've seen bullets that will suffer occasional failures to feed at one overall cartridge length, but ZERO failures a hundredth of an inch longer or shorter.

It could be break-in.  I would expect it to be fully broken in after 800 rounds, but it is possible that you could take those same rounds, put them away for a few months, then pull them back out and find it all works fine.

AND... you could always try replacing the recoil spring

edited to fix seemingly important type-o: breaking vs break-in
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:41:45 PM by IDescribe »

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »
Thanks.. I changed to a new Wolff 16lb recoil spring.  Next time I will try other ammo to see it problem goes away.