Author Topic: Best Checkering?  (Read 819 times)

Offline dross

Best Checkering?
« on: December 03, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »
Just bought an all steel Compact on Gunbroker. I'd like to get custom checkering on the front and backstraps. Recommendations for someone who does excellent work?

Offline sberres

Re: Best Checkering?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
  I eagerly look forward to some replies on this as I've also been contemplating some checkering work.  I really haven't seen where anyone has tried to tackle this or have it done to their CZ's.
  I'm planning to give it a go myself on a Star BM that I'm refinishing.  It's already got a mucked up trigger pin that I simply cannot get to move so I figure there is little else to lose if it doesn't go so well.  I'll practice on some plain stock, obviously.  It looks like the Star frame has enough material thickness to work with and it also has curves similar to the CZ so anything I learn should be entirely applicable.  I think that the contours of the front and back strap make it more difficult than something like a 1911 with flat mainspring housing.  I'll see how the practice piece goes to determine if it even seems possible the way I have it envisioned.
  I rather think that it may be a very expensive proposition to have it done as a custom job.  It certainly looks to require a lot of patience and generous amounts of elbow grease!  Whatever you come up with I wish you luck.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
APW Cogan does laser checkering. I don't know if it's sharp enough though.

Offline boxer4u

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
Although this is not my gun, APW Cogan did this work.

Thanks to Leo for the picture

anything