Author Topic: Lessons from modifying CZ frames  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Lessons from modifying CZ frames
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:01:47 PM »
Here's some lessons I have learned on shaping CZ 75 frames. Specifically undercutting the trigger guard and beavertail. The pistols I am showing still need to be refinished, so you will see some rough marks that will be removed when sandblasting in prep for hard chrome. I just put them back together to shoot them and see how I liked the modifications before doing the final and more permanent step of refinishing.

Pistol #1:

I started this journey with an old CZ 75 pre-b from 1987. I had to do some other frame mods for it to accept newer magazines but that isn?t what I?m covering.

I worked on the beavertail and undercut the trigger guard. I should have removed less material from under the beavertail and instead removed material from the top. See the pics to understand how it looks a little funny. BUT it feels incredible!

I didn?t bevel the edges up under the trigger guard enough. You?ll see that progress in other pistols, and I?ll return to this one and bevel those since this hasn?t been refinished yet. Outside of the beveled edges this feels incredible!

Pistol #2:
After feeling the results of the frame modification on my old pre-b I determined I had to do them to my classic 75 Compact. Due to some other members (Underwhere and others) I realized I should remove material from the top of the beavertail to aesthetically look closer to an upswept  beavertail. I didn?t get it all the way to upswept appearance, but it looks better than my first. Feels fantastic too!

I beveled/rounded the edges under the trigger guard a little. They aren?t sharp to be uncomfortable, but it definitely wasn?t as much as I needed or wanted. I took the undercut up far enough though. Once I bevel/round those edges it will look like I took it further. This makes it point about the same as my SP-01. Whereas, before it pointed a little low for me after practicing with my SP-01. That was in part due to the thicker beavertail changing the angle when I gripped the pistol.

Pistol #3:
After the success I had with my classic 75 Compact in how the grip improved I wanted to do this to my SP-01 Compact 99021. The trigger guard undercut had especially made a difference in how comfortable my first two pistols are for my hands and grip. Plus I had this idea that I would turn one of my 99021?s into a Shadow 2 Compact. I?ll include pictures of my other 99021 and normal SP-01 for comparison.

I did the trigger guard undercut about as far as my classic 75 Compact, but I really beveled the edges on this one. It makes it feel even better! You can see that rounding those edges makes it look like I took it all the way to the magazine release. Again, I took it about as far as the picture for the classic 75 Compact, it just looks this way from the beveling. This is more aggressive than my normal SP-01 and makes me want to do this to my SP-01 too. It is freaking fantastic!

The beavertail was already upswept. My goal was to remove material to get it close to my SP-01. It feels great and looks pretty close.

This turned out so well that I want to do it to my other 99021! Now I just need to do some touch ups and get these off to be refinished at some point. I was really wanting Hard Chrome!

This takes a lot more time than polymer pistols. There are tutorials on the ?how to?, I just wanted to get some lessons on shaping shared with the group.

------------------------------
PS- CGW or CZ Custom, pretty please make some programs on your CNC machines to do this. You?d make a killing once people feel them in their hands. Plus I don?t know if I want to do this too many more times by hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:10:20 PM by Scarlett Pistol »
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Tok36

Re: Lessons from modifying CZ frames
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 11:31:54 PM »
Interesting and informative stuff. Thank you for the post SP. I may end up going this route with my 85 Combat at some point.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »
How are you removing material? Hand file followed by dremel polish, or ....
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »
Interesting and informative stuff. Thank you for the post SP. I may end up going this route with my 85 Combat at some point.

You're welcome. It's some good work but really rewarding!

How are you removing material? Hand file followed by dremel polish, or ....

Some members use some nice hand files. I use a dremel on the trigger guard undercut. I start with a dremel on the beavertail work and then use 1x30 sanding belts that I cut into 6"-8" strips. Think of polishing a shoe. I work to finer grits. The beavertail takes the more patience and work for me. Strip the frame down before doing it (guessing ya'll knew that already but just to be safe).

Offline Stuart

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 06:11:29 AM »
Nice post! Appreciate the work and sharing you do.

We do offer work to high cut frames and to reshape beavertails.

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 07:52:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing - very informative with great pics!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
Nice post! Appreciate the work and sharing you do.

We do offer work to high cut frames and to reshape beavertails.

Thanks!

Are you guys doing it by hand or CNC?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing - very informative with great pics!

You?re welcome?

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 04:27:46 PM »
I'll be doing this to my old CZ75B SAO conversion for USPSA pistol. I just did the magwell recently and that went well enough. I think the trigger guard is good enough for now so will do the beavertail first as trying to get a high grip sometimes has the web of the thumb over the edge of the beavertail. I've seen your posts in the past, very nice work and thanks.
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »
I'll be doing this to my old CZ75B SAO conversion for USPSA pistol. I just did the magwell recently and that went well enough. I think the trigger guard is good enough for now so will do the beavertail first as trying to get a high grip sometimes has the web of the thumb over the edge of the beavertail. I've seen your posts in the past, very nice work and thanks.

The trigger guard was secondary for me on my first one... then I felt it and shot it. For me the trigger guard undercut allows me get my fingers higher up the front strap simultaneously and this really improved my grip in a more noticeable way than I have noticed recoil. Especially since I think it is easier if highly recommend doing both.

Thank you!