Author Topic: New Barrel for a PM 9  (Read 144 times)

Offline Al W.

New Barrel for a PM 9
« on: December 04, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
I bought a PM 9 used last year.
Very clean with about 3k rounds through it.
I tooled up a round for it , I hand load, and have been firing it at the range at 25 yards.
Its doing OK I'm in the black on a NRA slo fire target , but its a bit inconsistent .
I know , I know , the pistol is more accurate than me , and etc.
But.
I have other pistols that put the PM 9 in the shade. The 9mm round is a bit iffy compared to 38sp or 45 ACP , I get that , but I think this gun could be improved.
Rather than going out and spending another few grand I was thinking of rebarreling the PM  getting a new bushing fit and generally perfecting the trigger  action .
I'm sure some of you guys have been there and done that over and over again.
Should I go with another CZ barrel ? Some other after market options ?
Any other heads up much appreciated.

Offline copemech

Re: New Barrel for a PM 9
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 12:09:10 AM »
what is a PM9?

Offline sberres

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:53 AM »
  I was wondering the same thing, Copemech. Are we referring to a Kahr pocket gun?  And if so it doesn’t make sense to me to work over a micro pocket gun that wouldn’t likely see extensive range use.
  On the other hand if we’re referring to a P-09 that may be a bit of a different story with respect to accuracy expectations and what improvements could be implemented.  CGW may offer some packages to improve the action but I cannot claim to be familiar with the platform. What I’m really unsure about is why to consider a new barrel?  3k rounds shouldn’t be enough to wear out any barrel and modern ammunition should hardly be any cause for concern with respect to corrosion. Has the barrel been neglected enough to be suffering from lead or copper fouling?  Maybe a really good cleaning would be in order. Does it behave better or differently if a rest is used?
  Just curious.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline thedude

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:58:45 AM »
what is a PM9?

He's probably referring to a Dan Wesson PM9.

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:15 AM »
I bought a PM 9 used last year.
Very clean with about 3k rounds through it.
I tooled up a round for it , I hand load, and have been firing it at the range at 25 yards.
Its doing OK I'm in the black on a NRA slo fire target , but its a bit inconsistent .
I know , I know , the pistol is more accurate than me , and etc.
But.
I have other pistols that put the PM 9 in the shade. The 9mm round is a bit iffy compared to 38sp or 45 ACP , I get that , but I think this gun could be improved.
Rather than going out and spending another few grand I was thinking of rebarreling the PM  getting a new bushing fit and generally perfecting the trigger  action .
I'm sure some of you guys have been there and done that over and over again.
Should I go with another CZ barrel ? Some other after market options ?
Any other heads up much appreciated.

Interesting that you're having accuracy issues with your PM9. Mine is like a laser beam and I must have well over 20k rounds through it. You shooting reloads?

Before you spend money a getting a new barrel fitted, I highly recommend emailing Keith at DW. He's the lead guy and responds to emails very quickly. Keith@cz-usa.com. He might tell you to ship it back on their dime to see what's up.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »
If it's a 1911, wouldn't the first step be checking play at the muzzle and fitting a new bushing if needed? Why a new barrel?

Offline sberres

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »
what is a PM9?

He's probably referring to a Dan Wesson PM9.
That makes way more sense!
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

anything