Author Topic: CZ P-09  (Read 524 times)

Offline 357MAGNOLE

CZ P-09
« on: December 04, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
I am considering buying one in OD Green. 

Is there anything I should know? Common problem's or necessary upgrades?

Purpose of this firearm is home defense, poop hit the fan scenario and just good ole fashioned range time.  Might even try running it in some competition to improve my skills.

How many rounds do yall have through yours? Seem to hold up to the abuse?
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
Dan Wesson ECO .45

Offline Wideload

Re: CZ P-09
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
Set mine up as a USPSA Carry Optics gun.
Primary Machine milled the slide.
Ordered Cajun parts and installed them myself.
Also using CZC mag extenders.
Got over 10,000 rounds with this setup with no issues that was not user induced.
The main thing I don't like about P09 was the list price of additional magazines.  I had to look for sales to find them at reasonable prices.   [But I hear that may be improving with the arrival of P10Fs in the marketplace]

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »
Love my P-09.  Never a problem with it after close to 800 rounds.

I came in 2nd place in a bowling pin shootout with it--handles very well.

I've added a Streamlight TLR-2 to it and have it in a speed vault for a night stand home defense gun.

The only complaints I've had from others who I have let shoot with it is the weight when fully loaded.

I have no issues with the weight as I do hand and arm exercises and I prefer the heavier guns.
CZ24,CZ27,CZ38,CZ40P,CZ45,CZ52,Vzor 50,Vzor 70,CZ75BΩ,CZ75D PCR Compact,,CZ75 P01,CZ75 P07 Duty,SP-01 Phantom,SP01 Tactical,CZ Shadow 2 Urban Grey,CZ P09 Duty,P10C,CZ82, CZ83,CZ85 PreB,CZ100,CZ 97BE,CZ100,CZ 1911A1,CZ 2075BD RAMI,CZ 452 American,CZ 550 Urban Counter Sniper,CZ 805 Bren,CZ Drake G2,D

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »
Set mine up as a USPSA Carry Optics gun.
Primary Machine milled the slide.
Ordered Cajun parts and installed them myself.
Also using CZC mag extenders.
Got over 10,000 rounds with this setup with no issues that was not user induced.
The main thing I don't like about P09 was the list price of additional magazines.  I had to look for sales to find them at reasonable prices.   [But I hear that may be improving with the arrival of P10Fs in the marketplace]
  Got a picture of that!?!? Id like to see how it looks after 10K Rounds.
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
Dan Wesson ECO .45

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »
Here is a link to a thread with regarding a CZ P-09 with allot of rounds through it.

P-09 Durability - Will It Hold Up?
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=69565.0

I like my P09 ok, it is not a 75 but it will do:) I did a second tuning pass on mine recently. It is improving.

CZ P-09 Second Pass - Polishing.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=100666.0

Just like the CZ75 variants, the CZ P Series pistols can be unique from one another in stock config and can require more or less attention in different areas.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:59:43 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline njbren

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »
My first cz was a p09, .40. Bought it used an loved it. Bought a 75 PCR then another 09 in 9mm. I now have 3 09's and 2 07's. I love how they shoot and feel.  I installed the CGW pro package in the 9mm and it's pretty sweet.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
I have a P09 UG SR and have added a few CGW parts to it. Not that it really needed them, but it made the trigger a little nicer. The only issues I have heard, but are very rare, is the trigger spring breaking. Now the firing pin retaining pin is kind of a weak area. I dry fired mine some without snap caps or using orings and when I went to install the CGW parts the factory pin did have visible damage.

Overall though I love the P09. You get a lot of gun for the money and it is such a joy to shoot. My wife uses a 5 inch M2.0 9mm and prefers striker, but when she shot the P09 she really liked it.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »
I have two P09's (9MM and .40 S&W). 

The 9MM is the most accurate center fire semi auto pistol I've ever shot.  #1.

The only reliability issues people seem to experience/mention with the P07/P09 are the trigger return spring and the firing pin retaining pin.

I never had an issue with mine but replaced them anyway a few months back as the parts are cheap (CGW parts is what I ordered).

I have noticed something funny, it's just me, not an issue with the pistols, is my CZ buying habits.

The P07 Duty in .40 S&W was my first CZ.  Reliability, accuracy and feel in my hand resulted in a 9MM P09.  Same positives resulted in a P09 in .40 S&W.  All that happened within a few months 6 years ago.  The P07 is my EDC when I wear nice clothes/go off my property for some reason.  I've not bought a plastic framed CZ since.  A Pre B CZ85, couple of P01 Omegas, some CZ75 Compacts (standard model) and a couple of CZ75 Compacts with the P01 looking frame, but no more plastic framed guns.  Not sure why, that's just the way it happened.  The steel/aluminum framed CZ's are not more reliable or more accurate than the plastic framed pistols, but I've bought more of them.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 07:49:14 PM »
I traded in my P-09 9mm, it was the first CZ that I just didn't like at all.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
The P09 is a SOLID choice, and one of my favorites.  Accurate, reliable, and soft shooting.  Fairly easy to tweak. 

ONE piece of advice.  BUY IN PERSON.  Tne P series can vary all over the map in trigger quality.  One in 5 is smooth and even out of the box.  2 will be an even pull but gritty (only needs a polish), and 2 will be uneven/stagey and gritty.  Trust me on this.  Go to a big show and get one that is smooth and even and spend $50-100 more and don't look back - its worth it.  I have an UG model that is smoother than amyu CZ I own.  I also have a P07 (ordered cheap n line).that still isn't right after MANY attempts to make it right.  (I'll get there eventually - I have patience).  Spend more and buy in person and be HAPPY.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 08:29:09 PM »
I have a 75B, two P-07s, a P-01, my P-09 and recently sold an SP-01 Tactical.  My P-09 is by far my favorite to shoot and the one I shoot the best.

I've done the requisite polishing, installed an extended firing pin with the reduced power hammer spring and have shot about 4,000 rounds through it.  I absolutely love that gun.  It's a little large for concealed carry but I do when my wife and I walk out here in the country.  Getting in and out of a car would be a problem for me.  I have my P-07s for that.

I can't think of a single malfunction I've had with that gun.  I've had a few with each of the others, mainly when new.  I can routinely hit a 1/2 size silhouette at 50 yards, off hand with it.  It just shoots that well. 

A few people don't care for them but the majority of what I've read about them has been positive.  My last P-07 was in OD Green.  I think that's the best color for these guns, personally.

Offline best sale

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
I have in OD green Cajunized, czechzy has more than 4k rounds on it, pretty little thang still puff .no single FTF. I  ran like 1100 in two days through it with no cleaning in between.
... there is an OG that most folks on the forum might know. Some of us were inspired to CZ products by him.  He has around 50k on his .......

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »
And it will carry.  It is large but not that bad and in standard config, only 29 oz.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 11:17:27 PM »
I agree with most- a P09 is a very capable gun. I’ve shot mine in IDPA a few seasons ago with good results. Certainly is one of the most accurate guns with the best recoil management I own.  I’ve seen some great prices on some P09s recently.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 07:08:47 AM »
I agree with most- a P09 is a very capable gun. I’ve shot mine in IDPA a few seasons ago with good results. Certainly is one of the most accurate guns with the best recoil management I own.  I’ve seen some great prices on some P09s recently.
Which makes it the perfect carry gun.
It's  my EDC.   With Vortex Viper RDS.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!