Author Topic: History of the 75B SA  (Read 1026 times)

Offline badwrench

Re: History of the 75B SA
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »
That's pretty much it.. there are some similaritys, between the two.. Control placement is similular, But the big difference, to me anyway, was the fact that the SA was generally more easily available, and usually at a much lower cost.  Almost everyone I know who has/had a Hi-Power, usually had some work done to them, and depending on what was done, it can get expensive, while the SA might need some work as well, I'm thinking it could be done for less, and you'd end up with a pretty nice pistol..

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
The article below does a better job at summarizing the differences and similarities between the two.

http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/browning-hi-power-cz-75-are-they.html

The article has the general information right, but Browning's original design was a single-stack, 9-round, striker-fired gun.  Saive was the one who created a good, working double-stack magazine, and continued work on the design for 9 years after JMB died.  Two years after Browning died, the Colt 1911 patents expired, and Saive was able to incorporate some of those design features into the BHP... so it was really a true joint venture with Browning's 1911 features added to what Saive had worked on with JMB.

The BHP is probably as much a Saive design as a JMB design -- but being able to use 1911 design features made it a better design, too.  Then, too, gun makers in Europe thought so highly of Browning, they really liked having his name attached to any weapons JMB  designed for them. 

Saive was an FN gun designer and employee who worked as Browning's assistant during the years  Browning was under contract to FN.  Saive eventually became the head weapons designer for FN-Herstal.  He made some major design changes to Browning machine guns that greatly increased their rate of fire and effectiveness, and designed some MGs of his own.  All of the "improved" Browning MG designs were  major players in WWII, in aircraft, as well as with some some of the ground forces.  Many of those designs are still in use in militaries around the world.

Offline eastman

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 10:15:58 PM »
The article below does a better job at summarizing the differences and similarities between the two.

http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/browning-hi-power-cz-75-are-they.html

The article has the general information right, but Browning's original design was a single-stack, 9-round, striker-fired gun.  Saive was the one who created a good, working double-stack magazine, and continued work on the design for 9 years after JMB died.  Two years after Browning died, the Colt 1911 patents expired, and Saive was able to incorporate some of those design features into the BHP... so it was really a true joint venture with Browning's 1911 features added to what Saive had worked on with JMB.

The BHP is probably as much a Saive design as a JMB design -- but being able to use 1911 design features made it a better design, too.  Then, too, gun makers in Europe thought so highly of Browning, they really liked having his name attached to any weapons JMB  designed for them. 

Saive was an FN gun designer and employee who worked as Browning's assistant during the years  Browning was under contract to FN.  Saive eventually became the head weapons designer for FN-Herstal.  He made some major design changes to Browning machine guns that greatly increased their rate of fire and effectiveness, and designed some MGs of his own.  All of the "improved" Browning MG designs were  major players in WWII, in aircraft, as well as with some some of the ground forces.  Many of those designs are still in use in militaries around the world.

Saive was also the designer of the FN-FAL.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline canthelpit

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
I just found an interesting article in the Dope Bag column from the March 2001 American Rifleman. The title is CZ 75B SA Pistol.
It appears that the SA was a new variant then.
I’m not able to post a link to the article, perhaps someone will find it & post a link, it should be quite easy to find.
  Cheers, MC

Sounds about right.  The CZ catalog I have from 2000 (I think) doesn't have the SA listed.

Offline ejb1975

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »
The allure of a SA 75b in .40 to me was the full slide rail (9mm is a faux full slide rail) and the full beavertail/guide rod. I believe a 75 Shadow is the only way you can get those features in a 9mm.  I just acquired an SP-01 barrel and fit it to my 40 so she is multi cal now. I have several other upgrades coming to improve the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline adrian

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »
     Hiya and thx for the thread. I was introduced to the 75bSA when I found a mint CZC make over at a used gun shop and it worked perfect, After previously using several other frames for my Kadet kit ,this one really took first prize for me. Tho I didn't want to have to keep switching out 17lb for 13lb mainsprings,I got on the list for a base model 75bSA and tuned that up to dedicate its frame for the .22, To me its the perfect match. Be well.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »
     Hiya and thx for the thread. I was introduced to the 75bSA when I found a mint CZC make over at a used gun shop and it worked perfect, After previously using several other frames for my Kadet kit ,this one really took first prize for me. Tho I didn't want to have to keep switching out 17lb for 13lb mainsprings,I got on the list for a base model 75bSA and tuned that up to dedicate its frame for the .22, To me its the perfect match. Be well.

Gotta agree there
The B-SA is a great Pistol as is
Perfect as a bridge from the 1911 into the DA/SA realm
BUT, it is the GREATEST platform for the KADET

So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

anything