Author Topic: Magazine interop - CZ 75 compact/full size/PCR  (Read 206 times)

Offline ohiodff

Magazine interop - CZ 75 compact/full size/PCR
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:49:51 PM »
A buddy said he tried his 75 compact magazine in a PCR and it wouldn't work - this can't be right can it?  He's doing something wrong?  Are the full-size mags functional in the PCR also?

Offline Walt Sherrill

Re: Magazine interop - CZ 75 compact/full size/PCR
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
If they're factory mags or Mec-Gar mags, they're functionally identical for all compact CZs (using the CZ 75 pattern) when in the same caliber.  If your friend can't make it work, something is wrong with the magazine or he's mixed calibers (which isn't likely).   And full-size mags of the same caliber will work in a compact CZ, but not vice versa.

While most full-sizw Tanfoglio/Witness mags will work in a full-size CZ (and vice versa) the Tanfoglio/Witness compact mag swon't work in any CZ compacts based on the 75 pattern -- because the T/W mags are shorter and won't  go far enough into the grip to actually feed a round or engage the magazine release notch.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:06:10 PM by Walt Sherrill »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:46:20 AM »
Yeah what Walt said. I wonder if he's trying a true 75 series mag or one from a P-series which will absolutely not fit???

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
Full-size mags will lock in but since the mag body is longer, it will obviously hang out the bottom. The spacer baseplate off the 18-rd mags will take up that space so you can use the 16-rd mags in the compact and it looks factory.

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »
Full-size mags will lock in but since the mag body is longer, it will obviously hang out the bottom. The spacer baseplate off the 18-rd mags will take up that space so you can use the 16-rd mags in the compact and it looks factory.

It is factory on some pistols, like the Urban Grey P01's.  I've ordered several from Greg Cote, LLC (the baseplates) to make nice looking 16 round carry magazines for the Compacts and the black P01 Omega.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:32:38 PM »

It is factory on some pistols, like the Urban Grey P01's.  I've ordered several from Greg Cote, LLC (the baseplates) to make nice looking 16 round carry magazines for the Compacts and the black P01 Omega.
Did not know they came from the factory on some P-01's but yeah, I can get get the 16-rounders for under $20 from Brownells (w/ mil discount and they usually have 10% off coupons) and then get the baseplates from Greg. It's a perfect set-up.

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
Urban Grey P01 Omega on top, black P01 Omega on the bottom.

16 round factory mags in the UG P01 and the 14 round factory mags in the black P01.

I like the plastic bases.  I was at the Coupe in the garage one day, turned to get something off a shelf and the metal base plate on a 14 round magazine made contact with the spoiler on the Coupe.  I know where the scratch is (not bad, but I know where it is so I can't help but seeing it, being reminded of it, etc.) and knowing that could happen again, I've replaced the metal bases on my 14 round magazine with the plastic, or rubber, bases.  Or, I carry a 16 round magazine with the black plastic base.  I hate it when I do stupid stuff.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.