Author Topic: 1911 opinions?  (Read 476 times)

Offline CaliforniaGunner

1911 opinions?
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:07:05 AM »
So in the last few months I bought a CZ 97 and an SP01, love em both, but I had my fill of CZs for a bit. I might pick up a P01 at some point but probably later than sooner.

My next purchase I'm thinking a 1911. I was originally going out to buy a 1911 a few month ago but my LSG had the 97B and I just couldn't pass on it.   Funny thing is I'm planning to send it to CGW for the barrel bushing upgrade (irony, right).

I'm looking for a 1911 in the $700 range and am hoping to get some input.  I live in California so I'm restricted to the roster, please keep that in mind. I'm not against used off-roster guns but they often go for more of a premium than I'm willing to pay. (Example of other guns that list on forums for more than I would pay; SW MP9s list for $800, Glock Gen 4 or 5 list for upward of $1000. No thanks.).  I got some good advise here that led me to the SP01 purchase and am hoping for more of the same

Anyone have advise on 1911s in the $700 price range?  I was thing something in the lines of a Springfield GI.

I was considering an RIA mostly because of price, but I held one and it just didn't feel right compared to the Springfield.  I'm not stuck on the GI, its just one of the better feeling 1911s I have held in the price I am willing to spend.

I was considering a Kimber Custom or Pro Carry which cost a bit more than the Springfield but I have been hearing rumors of their QC slipping. Is that just internet BS or is Kimber slacking? I always thought of Kimber to produce good quality stuff.

This would just be a range toy but I don't want a 1911 that feels cheap.  The only 1911 I have shot was an old Colt, a guy at the range was kind enough to let me shoot a mag through his Grandfathers service bring back that had been handed down to him and I liked it very much. (I returned the favor by letting his girl shoot a tube through my 12gauge, loved it of course, shotguns are fun.)

All input and advise is welcome. Thanks.

Link to the CA DOJ roster....
https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:44:27 PM by CaliforniaGunner »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: 1911 opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:47:18 AM »
The price range you're looking in affords some decent options. Nothing wrong with today's Kimbers and the Remington R1A isn't a bad choice but the Springfield line up I think is a much more solid choice and they are all series 70 actions compared to the other 2 which are series 80 actions. Today the action type is a preference thing. I personally like the 70 over the 80 just for simplicity.
You'll get varying opinions on 1911's as with any gun and that includes reliability as well. I've owned a great many over the years and from Colt to Kimber to Springfield to CZ and even Dan Wesson I have never owned a 1911 that didn't need some tweaking to operate at it's full potential. While they are fun to own and shoot and in their GI form also nostalgic they are also very much like pre fuel injected automobiles where reliability is concerned.

Offline mossy oak

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 06:00:21 AM »
The RIA GI is a solid shooter for the money.  If it didn't feel right a grip change could be all you need, the smooth grips have been changed on my RIA GI with some Mag Pul's.  I like the series 70 gun better the the 80 series.  Good luck with what you decide. By the way nothing wrong with a SA Mil Spec.

Offline double-d

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »
I own two Springfield 1911s and neither has had problems. 
My daily carry is a bone stock Compact Lightweight, my second is a full sized Tussey massaged bulleye gun. 

Offline tde44

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
Take a look at the RI Ultra FS - have one and it is great.  Comes with FO front, adjustable rear and G10 grips.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
Can't speak to prices.  Can speak to experience.

Colt - I have bought four.  Still have three.  Gave one to my youngest son.
1911 (WW1 GI pistol) - still works like a champ, had to replace the thumb safety years ago due to wear.
Combat Commander - never any issues with the factory parts (had a high profile front sight installed on it and lost it twice due to improper installation - second time he didn't charge me but it came off again anyway).
Series 80 Government Model (stainless steel) - never any issues with it.
Series 70 MkIV - would damage empty cases during ejection but never jammed.  Best 1911 trigger I've ever felt - which is why I bought it.

Springfield Armory Government Model - would split cases (3 or so per magazine).  Decided it was a swelled chamber, replaced the barrel with an aftermarket barrel and no more split cases.  Only issue we had with that one, but it's not as smooth as the Colts (three of the four were used so maybe the wore in before I got them).

ParaOrdnance P14 - never any issues with it but the weight.  Man is that thing heavy.  Oh, did have magazine issues, but not while firing it.  Magazines, outside the pistol would stop feeding rounds upwards as you thumbed them out to empty the magazine.  Replaced the original springs with factory springs and found the design had changed, so that may have been the issue, spring coils hanging up on each other as the smaller coils nested down inside the larger coils.

Thompson double stack (not mine) - magazines wouldn't lock in and stay while firing, helped the guy figure it out and modify his magazines so they'd work properly.

Spring Armory (don't know the model) that belongs to a relative - he's never had any issues with it.  Used to carry it all the time, reverted back to carrying the SA XD Compact in .45 acp (more rounds, smaller package for concealed carry).

If I was in the market for a new 1911 style pistol today I'd be looking at the Ruger stainless steel guns.  When my nephew was looking at buying a 1911 we shopped several gun stores and looked through them at the gun shows and the fit/feel of the stainless steel Rugers I looked at would have resulted in one of them going home with me - if I'd been looking to buy one.  I have some other Rugers in other models/calibers and they were always excellent in operation and accuracy, so that influences me as well.

Going a bit further -

I'm always amazed at the complaining about 1911's on the internet.  Just not my experience with the Colt models.
Magazines?  Mine use anything/everything.  From $3 gun show magazines (1980's prices) to the Chip McCormick stainless 8 shot Shooting Stars.  All of them work in my pistols.

While I carried 230 grain FMJ more than anything else, my pistols fed/chambered/fired/ejected lead, jacketed, hollow point bullets from 185 grain to 230 grain.

Maybe I've been lucky.

Upgrades are personal preferences for the most part.  If you buy aftermarket parts, be sure to by name brand parts.  Spend the time to do some research and pick good well made parts.

Oh, one more bit of info - not all parts fit without some work.  Some beavertail grip safeties require frame modification, some don't, pick the ones that fit/work on your pistol.  Same for the amibidextrous thumb safeties.  Some require a mod. to the inside of the right grip panel, some do not.

There's only one reason I don't still carry my Colts - it would be shame to damage them crawling around under the car/truck in the gravel of the driveway or on the concrete in the garage.  Or crawling around under the bushes/trees when I'm trimming/pruning, etc.  I made up my mind, when I went to the plastic framed pistols, that I wouldn't be upset when I scratched them up - it's why I bought them.  I was up under the mud room the other day crawling around working on a railed storage system for the deck furniture/yard ornaments, etc. and I could hear that XD scraping around in the gravel.  Made me glad it wasn't one of the Colt 1911s.  Holster wear/shooting wear is one thing.  Big chunks of grip panel or gouges through the finish are another thing.

Good luck, with what ever brand you buy. 
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »
My cousin was just here in Arizona for the SAR show. I think he comes to experience freedom, vent about the roster and eat my Dutch oven bread and smoked ribs. When I visit CA it's  to smell salt air and refresh my memory why I left in '77. When I go I take a S&W PD model with an alloy frame. It makes a huge difference in carry weight. I have had 2 SWs and they have both been great. They are also older models. I got one of the first "billboard" models. I don't have any new 1911s but still run a Charles Daly and an original Dan Wesson. The only issue with GI models, for me, are the sights. They are poor to start with and not as easy to replace since they don't have a dovetail cut.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline 2bfree

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »
In that price range I vote for the Ruger SR 1911 full size. Have never had to tinker with it to get it to work and have not had one failure to fire after a couple thousand rounds. Factory, hand loads, and even hollow points.

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 06:22:35 PM »
I keep trying to love shooting a 1911.  Just can't do it after spoiling myself on CZs.  I've owned a couple dozen 1911s over the years and still have two.  A Springfield and a RIA in 9mm.  With a $700 budget I would be buying a Ruger in SS.  Maybe one of the nicer RIA with adjustable sights and a FO front.  Put on a set of VZ or LOK grips and call it good. 

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 07:34:22 PM »
The best production 1911 I’ve found is Dan Wesson- period. Understandably above your price limit.

I’ve come to this assessment after owning Colt 80 series, SA loaded and RO, SIG Nightmare and S&W E series. I now own 2 DWs and the S&W.

I’d save more and get the DW. But if you can’t ( and I fully understand), based on my experience, I’d go with SA. It’s a solid brand with strong 1911 experience. Their service and warranty is exceptional.

A previous poster mentioned Ruger. After fondling it at my LGS, I can only say I found it well made with a surprisingly good trigger for the money. I have a couple of other Rugers and am completely satisfied with them and their outstanding customer service.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 08:39:17 PM »
When I'm not pimping a "hipster" CZ, I'm rocking a Ruger.

I Vote Ruger SR1911, too. Solid gun and company.
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 09:01:16 PM »
Wow, quick reply's. Thanks guys, especially M1A4ME, that's a good lot of 1911 input. 

I do like me some Ruger but I don't see any Ruger 1911s on the Roster right now. It's odd that guns on roster fall off and then get added back. Maybe next year they will be back (doubt it).  But I would bet I could find one used for a decent price.

Much to ponder. I don't have any Blued Handguns so I was kinda hoping for a 1911 deep Blued.  I think I'm going to go check what my LSG has under the glass this weekend.

Again, thanks for the feed back everyone, much appreciated.

Offline steerclr

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 07:49:27 AM »
Half the enjoyment is tinkering with these so even a used one would be fine.  There are so many parts out there to improve them I would just look for any models that have dovetailed sights (front and back) and possibly a series 70 type (no firing pin block).

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
I have the Ruger SR1911 full size and commander size, and both are fine pistols.

I've shot a few of the Remington 1911s and they were good. Out here, I have seen some very good deals on them (~$500).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
Half the enjoyment is tinkering with these so even a used one would be fine.  There are so many parts out there to improve them I would just look for any models that have dovetailed sights (front and back) and possibly a series 70 type (no firing pin block).

then a 1911 is perfect for me, I love to tinker.

anything