Author Topic: 1911 opinions?  (Read 3109 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: 1911 opinions?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 02:55:02 PM »
If you work on your own 1911, be sure to have a back up carry gun you can carry while you 1) work on the 1911, 2) thoroughly test it to make sure it works and will keep working.

A long time ago I did a lot of work to my Colt Combat Commander.  I bought another gun to carry while I worked through that one, to make sure the gun I had on my hip would work if I needed it to work.  I didn't have any issues with the 1911, I just wanted to make sure I kept getting to go home every night when my shift was over.

Good luck with it.  Did you know, when John Browning designed the 1911 the specified lubricant was whale oil?  Think about that.

And, one story from the US Army field testing. 

They had a table full of loaded 1911 magazines and people where shooting them to see how they liked them, how well they worked, etc.  A couple officers decided to monkey up the test and just started firing magazine after magazine through a 1911 till it got so hot it finally locked up from the heat, the crud of 100's of rounds and the lubrication being contaminated, wiped off.

When the 1911 locked up, the turned around, looked at John Browning, who was present for the testing and said, "Hey John, what are we supposed to do when this happens?"  He took the gun, walked over to one of the water filled dud barrels they kept on ranges in those days and dunked the 1911 down in the water and swirled it all around.  Then he inserted a magazine, chambered the first round and proceeded to shoot the magazine empty.  Then he smiled at the two officers and handed them back the empty 1911.

I read, on the internet, all the time about 1911's being unreliable.  I chuckle some times, other times I just shrug and wonder what the owner is doing wrong.  I read that 1911's won't feed/chamber some bullet types.  I wonder about that, too.  I read the .45 acp isn't a reliable man stopper and that the new 9MM ammo is equal to the .45 ammo.  I just smile about that.

My Colts have never broken the factory parts.  My Combat Commander will feed/chamber empty cases from the magazine, one after another.  Never had an issue with hollow points but shot very few of them.  I carried and shot 230 grain LRN or FMJ, mostly.  I remember two MOH citations.  One for WW1 and one for WW2.  Alvin York killed 7 or 8 rifle carrying German soldiers with his 1911 with one shot each while he was letting his rifle cool down enough to start using it again.  Thomas Baker killed 8 rifle carrying Japanese soldiers with his 1911 with one shot each as he sat, back to a tree and wounded too badly to get back to the beach with the rest of his squad (fighting was so heavy they'd run out of ammo, had too many wounded to care for and had headed back to the beach for more men, more ammo and medical care for the wounded they could help out of the jungle.)  Maybe those guys were exceptional pistol shots even in an extremely tense/violent situation.

If you get one, enjoy it.  It'll grow on you if you get a good one and learn how to use it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »
 John Browning rectified the shortcomings of the 1911 with the High Power which lead us toward more modern semi autos of today. As far as 9mm vs .45 goes that's a personal opinion and choice not reality today. If you can't place your shots well a bigger bullet will not cover your tail.
I like the .45 VERY much but I'll take the added firepower of the 9 any day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:38:09 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline BG ARMORY

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
Sig 1911's are really nice
Springfield 1911's are just as nice.

Choose the flavor with your stylings and options you want.

RIA makes good 1911's for not a lot of money. I've had one for 10 years with very little troubles.

Personally my next 1911 is going to be a SIG Emperor Scorpion or Springfield TRP

Offline double-d

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 10:30:38 PM »
I like the .45 VERY much but I'll take the added firepower of the 9 any day.

Simple solution.... P14-45  (love mine)

Offline aasbra

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
I currently have four 1911s, including a 1960s Colt National Match, a Les Baer Premier ii, and a recent Remington with a threaded barrel, all in .45 ACP, and a Dan Wesson pointman 9.  While the higher end ones are real nice, I have to say that I have been pleased with the Remington (purchased new in the $500 range with a sale and rebate) for a the money.  Bought it to run a can on, and it has proven a good shooter so far.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 12:38:19 AM »
FWIW, there are a lot of excellent other .45 ACP handguns available for $700 or less.  I actually like the S&W 25/625 better than any semi-auto. 
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
Lots of choices in the $700 range and really not much garbage, but good to check a specific sample to weed out a lemon.  Although I like my Sig Two Tone, with grip checkering, Nitide over Stainless slide with SS frame, tritium sights, etc. In retospect, I enjoy the traditional lines of the cheaper Remington R1 (stainless in my case).  The R1 has larger dots than the traditional GI version.  They are both shooters--no detrimate of the Series 80 system in my case.  If in California, you likely can't even choose a S70 (drop test).

What grip do you prefer?  The 1911A1 style has the hump.  I prefer the original 1911 style straight grip.  Are your hands meaty such that you even need an extended  beavertail?  Full length guide rods are more of a pain to dissassemble, some requiring a tool.  I'd recommend sticking with .standard sigle stack 45 for your first, either full size or commander size not smaller.  Everything else is looks and feel IMO.  That is what is so awesome about the 1911 style handguns.  So many mfgs and options to suit a wide variety of tastes!  Buy a bunch of magazines.  I've also had relatively trouble free use of a variety of 7 and 8 rounders.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:21:32 AM by Tyerone »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »
Ewe!  Just looked at the idiotic roster.  California sucks.  >:( Truly infringing!  Imagine if they dictated similarly against the fist ammendment acknowlegement of God given rights.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »
The 2 I would suggest in your price range that I have experience with a nd know are good guns
Para Expert.....a great barrel and a great gun for the money. not real fancy at all but a shooter a real shooter.
RIA FS ??.a few bells and Whistles, adjustable rear  FO front G-10 grips. Shoots good was a little picky about what ammo I ran through it but once I figured it out never a problem. well under 700 bucks well worth it!

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline woody57

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
Not a lot of choices for 1911 here in Cali. I have a Les Baer P 2 that I use for Bullseys comp. But that is out of your price range. I do not think Kimber is a good option, heard to many problems with them. Rock Island are OK but good pistol smiths will not work on them. Rug er and Remington  are not an option. I have a Springfield Mill Spec is a great option. Shoot very good out to 50 yards, and very reliable.
That's My 2 cents.

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »
Not a lot of choices for 1911 here in Cali.

My LSG has about 15 feet of glass with 1911s under it.  Plenty to choose from. Just need to save up the cash.

Offline Chuck James

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 12:17:45 AM »
I suggest giving the ruger 1911's a serious look. I've had the opportunity to put several hundred rounds through a stock one (no mods), it's as good as my colt 1911.

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 02:35:59 AM »
Kimbers are over priced, unless you only want aesthetics.  Worse than colt even.  I shot two Remington 1911's lately, they were quite nice for the price.  Springfield is usually a good value.  Maybe a used Dan Wesson?  As a 1911 I just try to buy decent one's that folks will work on if there is a problem. 

Offline aussie57

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »
I have over the years bought name brand 1911's (Colt, Springers, Sig, Kimber, Para, Etc), high end custom 1911's, and semi customs (Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc.). The 2 I've kept are a Les Baer PII which has 5K plus rounds through it and just keeps chugging along and a Colt Combat Elite which will eat anything you put in the mag, possibly even rocks. You can draw your own conclusions. Both are .45 acp.

anything