Author Topic: Don?t want to give up on my SP01....  (Read 6794 times)

Offline bababoris

Don?t want to give up on my SP01....
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
But I am running out of patience....
Second time I?ve had a bullet lodge in the barrel.  It may be my fault but I honestly don?t know how it happened. 
Took it to the range this morning and shot about 25 rounds of Winchester white box 115gr rounds.  Then on the 3 mag noticed I couldn?t chamber a round.  Looked closer and sure enough a bullet was in the breach about 3/4?....
Last one this happened I was informed on this forum that CZ barrels have a tight tolerance but I don?t see how that would cause bullet to get lodged in the barrel.  Should I try to tap it out?  I am afraid the barrel is ruined...
Really frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bababoris

Re: Don?t want to give up on my SP01....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
Tapped out the bullet with a brass rod

I may call CZ on Monday and get their take.

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
Got any calipers to measure the round compared to other rounds?

No expert here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline bababoris

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »
Got any calipers to measure the round compared to other rounds?

No expert here.

9.07 ish mm like other rounds in the box

Offline bababoris

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »
If this has happened before, regardless of what CZ says.....just get a new barrel, well worth the investment, and very likely significant medical bills in the future......just nothing to ?try? and fix here, replace and move on! ???
That?s fine maybe I?ll do that but why should I have to?  Plus original barrel has my serial # and I feel the gun would lose value if I replaced original with a non serialized barrel.  But thanks for your advice.  Definitely don?t want to blow anything up or cause injury

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »
Odd. Definitely not something typical of a CZ. At least based on my personal experience and what I read in various forums. I have shot all major brands of ammo through my CZs without a hitch. Guess maybe you got a dud barrel.

I suggest you call CZ like you mention. See what they say. May just need to replace the barrel. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »
If this has happened before, regardless of what CZ says.....just get a new barrel, well worth the investment, and very likely significant medical bills in the future......just nothing to ?try? and fix here, replace and move on! ???
Why would you recommend this as a solution for a squib round with documented crap ammo? Not sure I see the logic.
 Clean the barrel, check for damage. If none, buy better ammo. Carry on. White box is not to be trusted.
 When people talk about CZ barrels being tight, they refer to the leade or where the rifling begins outside the chamber, not the bore itself.
 While unlikely to have had it happen twice, odds are that the squibs are due to weak charges. It happens.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
I'm thinking that your Barrel and it's Rifling will be okay.  I would blame the Factory Ammunition for producing a Squib round that had low or no powder charge.

This can be potentially dangerous if the Bullet had lodged further down the Barrel allowing another fully charged round to seat behind it and the barrel bursting/bulging out when the new round goes off.
Most of the time, the Slide will contain most of the explosion. 

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline dbarn

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
It's possible the barrel but more likely the ammo.

WWB in particular has been a crap shoot as of late. I personally have witnesses two different boxes anywhere from bullets that are seated at a cant and severely deformed brass to completely empty primed cases.

Not sure whats going on at Winchester, but this is most likely where the blame lies. Suggest you try other ammo and keep an eye on it. If something does not sound or feel right immediately stop.

Offline WVSurveyor

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 06:45:26 PM »
Were the two incidences using the same ammo and maybe even out of the same box or from the same order? I help a teach a CCW class and we cover squibb rounds in one section. Did you notice a reduced recoil or abnormal sound when the round(s) went off? I would maybe try the same batch ammo in some of your other weapons and see if it happens again. Pay close attention to each shot for anything weird.
While shooting with friends on the farm it has happened but thankfully we picked up on the abnormality and checked the weapon prior to firing a subsequent round. It could be you just got a bad batch of ammo. Hopefully your barrel is OK. If you pushed the bullet out from breach to muzzle it should be fine.
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline bababoris

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
Were the two incidences using the same ammo and maybe even out of the same box or from the same order? I help a teach a CCW class and we cover squibb rounds in one section. Did you notice a reduced recoil or abnormal sound when the round(s) went off? I would maybe try the same batch ammo in some of your other weapons and see if it happens again. Pay close attention to each shot for anything weird.
While shooting with friends on the farm it has happened but thankfully we picked up on the abnormality and checked the weapon prior to firing a subsequent round. It could be you just got a bad batch of ammo. Hopefully your barrel is OK. If you pushed the bullet out from breach to muzzle it should be fine.
The first time was about a year ago and I was using my reloads.  I assume that time it was a round that was not seated down and was too long.  This time I didn?t notice anything unusual but it was a 32 degrees windy and my hands were pretty numb to be honest to it was harder to feel the gun recoil

Offline WVSurveyor

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 06:57:08 PM »
Have you put many rounds through the weapon between the two incidences? If so, and it has functioned fine to date, it's probably an ammo issue.
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline bababoris

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Have you put many rounds through the weapon between the two incidences? If so, and it has functioned fine to date, it's probably an ammo issue.
I think i shot it a few times since without issue before today.

Offline WVSurveyor

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
I'd get some Sellier & Bellot ammo and give it another go. I've used many brands that work just fine but S&B stands out in my mind. Never an issue in any gun I've used it in. It's also made in the Czech Republic and so shares it's blood with CZ's and is loaded a little hotter than American offerings. I try and get the 124gr when available but the 115gr works just fine. You can generally always get a descent deal through Target Sports.
Take it back out and use a rest and shoot some paper at 7 yards or so to make sure it groups well. If it does then I'd think you're good to go.
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline bababoris

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »
I'd get some Sellier & Bellot ammo and give it another go. I've used many brands that work just fine but S&B stands out in my mind. Never an issue in any gun I've used it in. It's also made in the Czech Republic and so shares it's blood with CZ's and is loaded a little hotter than American offerings. I try and get the 124gr when available but the 115gr works just fine. You can generally always get a descent deal through Target Sports.
Take it back out and use a rest and shoot some paper at 7 yards or so to make sure it groups well. If it does then I'd think you're good to go.
Alright I?ll give it a go.  Thanks.
I?ll still call CZ as well to get their take.